What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bent stick for 9?

rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
As I do my final fitting of rudder pedals, I find the stick would be more comfortable if it bent forward like the 12 does. Has anyone made a modification or tried something different? I like to sit high for good vision so I have the booster seat pad. Any ideas?

One more question. The rudder cable hook up at the pedal shows an AN23-10 drilled bolt. When I install, it is longer than it should be leaving things loose. Maybe just add more washers?

With elevators nuetral and everything rigged per plans, the stick is angled forward a good bit anyways (at least mine is, assuming I didn't mess it up). If it were much farther angled or bent forward it looks like it would hit the panel unless shortened a good bit, which I don't think is recommended.

Chris

What Chris said. Look at the Control Systems page of the plans, and the stick's neutral position in profile.

My stick just barely grazed the row of toggle switches along the bottom of the panel when full forward, so I shortened it about 1.5" Actually, it's pretty close in height to the right side stick, so I like the symmetry.

On the rudder bolts, you could add washers, or go one size shorter, as long as the recommended washers fit, you can get the cotter pin through the castle nut, and there is no binding whatsoever.

Sid, thanks for the pictures. That is exactly what I want to do. My panel is standard height so I should be ok on fit, but I will check. The idea of my thumb getting squished is bad, but redoing the coolie switch is scary!

Be careful of interference issues between stick and controls. After I had my stick assembly and panel finished, I discovered the top of the stick - if full forward and right - would hit the throttle in the full out (idle/off) position. I knew the DAR would fail that in the inspection, so I cut another 3/4" of the top of the stick. (Aside: In 3 years of flying, I only encountered one situation - while taxiing in high winds - where I had the stick and throttle in the previously "interference" condition. Nevertheless, it is not an issue with the shortened stick.)

Sid, would you like to share the dimensions of those sticks?

Thanks,

Tom

The center straight section is 6 inches from start-of-bend to start-of-bend. He gave me about 4 to 5 inches beyond the bends on each end. I used as little of that as I could to seat all the way into in-floor linkage and the Infinity stick grips, and trimmed off the rest. Whenever I get around to exposing the ends, I'll measure the remaining ends outside the bends.

Back