What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 QB Worth it?

jssaylor2007

Planning out my first build, and was wondering about this. How much time does it realistically save you? Are there things you learn building the wing that would be beneficial to not doing the QB?

I got a **** of a deal, 10% off, no shipping, no taxes, it was very much worth it to me. How much is your time worth? I did it for time savings and the low price I got. Originally I was planning QB wing and slow build fuse. I figure between the two kits I'll save 6 months maybe a year of time.

You still have to build a significant portion of the airframe even with the QB kit. The Empennage kit is usually the starting point on either STD or QB kits, so you still go through the same teething/learning process. The QB Wing & Fuselage QB structures leave more than enough tasks to get you very acquainted with the workings of the plane, so you will 'know the plane' as well as if you started with a Std kit.
Time savings are more influenced by your ability to organize and manage your work sessions, everyone will have different results there.

Kind of depends upon your pace. At a decent pace, you could build an SB wing or fuse kit beyond the QB stage within the 8 months it would take to get the QB in your possession.

QB leads times are pretty long these days.

Larry

Time

I built my slow build fuse in less time than another builder waited for his. Wings too.

Fuselage Fun

The Fuse was a lot of fun to build, I'd do it again. The wings were repetitive but not at all difficult.

Good helper or solo?

If you have a good reliable helper, you’re in good shape when riveting. I went QB for the fuse because I didn’t, and could not see a way to rivet the canoe solo. Wings I did build 99% solo. I’m doing the same with the -8 underway.

Did you end up doing QB both?

Still in progress yes to both. Also, I only had to wait a week, another plus. I got really lucky. The kits went for sale from someone close to me, and it was at the point where pretty much everyone was scared of corona and weren't traveling.

Still in progress yes to both. Also, I only had to wait a week, another plus. I got really lucky. The kits went for sale from someone close to me, and it was at the point where pretty much everyone was scared of corona and weren't traveling.

How was your experience buying a started kit?

How was your experience buying a started kit?

Tail kit was from a different person, partially started. There were some skins I didn't like I replaced. Some parts were missing, but I still came out ahead money wise.

The QB kits were not touched, he had just gotten them and done a full inventory and decided he wasn't going to build. He wanted to sale them before he did anything to them. So it was actually really easy as he already sorted through everything. In addition he had them sent to synergy first, so blue stuff removed and primed and tagged. All the small parts were sorted into divided containers.

If I do another I'll probably look for started kits.

Not trying to hijack this thread but on a related issue....if one gets the QB wing how hard is it to add the extra fitting into the fuel tank for a return line when you go with fuel injection?

Cheers

Not trying to hijack this thread but on a related issue....if one gets the QB wing how hard is it to add the extra fitting into the fuel tank for a return line when you go with fuel injection?

Cheers

Very simple. Go in through the hole for the fuel level sender.

Hi everyone, my plane is to do QB as well, I don't think I would have time to do a full build. I read someplace on here about not being able to do some of the of the popular mods with a QB. Currently in with wings the mods I have in mind are ZIP Tips, possibly westach fuel senders instead of the float style, aileron trim, heated pitot/AOA(really not a mod)

Hi everyone, my plane is to do QB as well, I don't think I would have time to do a full build. I read someplace on here about not being able to do some of the of the popular mods with a QB. Currently in with wings the mods I have in mind are ZIP Tips, possibly westach fuel senders instead of the float style, aileron trim, heated pitot/AOA(really not a mod)

I don’t know anything about Westach senders, obviously the QB tanks are fully built except for a hole for traditional float gauges. All the other things are still possible. The bottom skin is installed by you.

If you can afford the extra $$'s and lead-time, I don't see any issue with a QB and in some instance it may put you significantly ahead of someone doing a Slow build. I'm sure there may be some mods that may be easier done during the slow build process, but I can't think of why you couldn't drill out few rivets to make whatever mod you were looking to do.

If I were to do it over again, I would at least seriously look at a QB wing kit for the -10

If you can afford the extra $$'s and lead-time, I don't see any issue with a QB and in some instance it may put you significantly ahead of someone doing a Slow build. I'm sure there may be some mods that may be easier done during the slow build process, but I can't think of why you couldn't drill out few rivets to make whatever mod you were looking to do.

If I were to do it over again, I would at least seriously look at a QB wing kit for the -10
Yeah others peoples builds and recommendations led to this decision. The only Mod I was worried about is the composite tail cone from showplanes. I haven't been able to find any builds on it showing what is completely required.

Lead times are not an issue

I was curious about QB and the Finishing kits, can you modify the order and not get things you know you're not gonna use and lower cost instead of wasting the items? I know I could always sell them but thats just a hassle due to the size of things and shipping Thanks

I was curious about QB and the Finishing kits, can you modify the order and not get things you know you're not gonna use and lower cost instead of wasting the items? I know I could always sell them but thats just a hassle due to the size of things and shipping Thanks

Yes, you can.

QB kits

All my kits have been qb. 6A, 8A & 14A just to save time. However if your wait time for a qb is 6 months you probably could build it in the time you wait and save that several thousand dollars per kit that goes to the Foreign workers. You also are paying taxes on that labor to build the kits. Van's dosent subtract that out of the invoices. So you save labor to build and taxes at end.

Wait they charge you tax on labor or just the kit? Labor shouldn’t be taxed.
It’s just good to know that I want to buy something for a recommended mod or upgrade that replaces some I can with having to buy something I want use.
Wait is not an issue, heck wait 6-8 months for rc jets sometimes.
I can be buy things and getting ducks in a row while I wait.:D
Thanks for the info.

Slow build fuse

I completed the empennage kit in just over 2 months. Probably could have gotten it done a little sooner, but I found out that it would take a couple of months to get the fuselage after ordering it. So I sat around waiting for awhile after finishing the tailcone, and then I waited a little while longer after the factory was evacuated for the wildfires. I'm not sure how long the SB fuse will take me, but I already placed the order for the QB wings, since they have an 8 month lead time. The fuselage instructions definitely require a little more thought on the part of the builder, because everything isn't laid out in step by step fashion, and they assume that you can figure it out (which isn't always the case).

Fenderbean

No, labor should not be taxed but it is included in the price of the quick build kits. I think Van's should guve you an invoice just for the wings and fuselage materials seperate from labor to build for use/sales tax purposes. My opinion.

Although, I didn't ask our division of taxes when I sent in the check.

No, labor should not be taxed but it is included in the price of the quick build kits. I think Van's should guve you an invoice just for the wings and fuselage materials seperate from labor to build for use/sales tax purposes. My opinion.

Although, I didn't ask our division of taxes when I sent in the check.

Labor is never separated in retail products. Did your Iphone purchase include a separate line item for the manufacturing labor? Pretty much every product purchased has a labor component, that doesn't mean your not taxed on it.

The QB kit is priced and sold as a complete retail product. Tax law is very clear in what Van's must charge tax on. If you bought a parts kit from Vans and paid the overseas firm directly, that would be a different matter.

Larry

Last edited:
Back