What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The secret life of pipe clamps

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
Can someone please tell me the secret to getting these (((*^@()_& pipe clamps installed on the Vetterman exhaust system? I assume there's some ridiculously expensive tool that I need to make the job easier because nothing I've tried has worked and I don't have enough years left to screw around with this nonsense. :mad:
pipe_clamp-thumb-500x375.jpg

Last edited:
Alligator Vise Grips worked for me (the ones with the long skinny jaws).

Now Take a Deep Breath...

Bob, easy now, take a deep breath...

Have you tried needle nose vice grips followed by an awl to align the holes?:D

Hans

Can someone please tell me the secret to getting these (((*^@()_& pipe clamps installed on the Vetterman exhaust system? I assume there's some ridiculously expensive tool that I need to make the job easier because nothing I've tried has worked and I don't have enough years left to screw around with this nonsense. :mad:
pipe_clamp-thumb-500x375.jpg

I used channel lock pliers to hold it in place while I put the bolt etc. through then slipped a nut on. I've had them on & off a couple of times since and that method has worked pretty well for me. If you're going to be around the hanger tomorrow evening (Wednesday) I'd be curious to stop by and see if yours is different than mine (-6A vs -7A thing).

-Brad

I used channel lock pliers to hold it in place while I put the bolt etc. through then slipped a nut on. I've had them on & off a couple of times since and that method has worked pretty well for me. If you're going to be around the hanger tomorrow evening (Wednesday) I'd be curious to stop by and see if yours is different than mine (-6A vs -7A thing).

-Brad

Yeah, I'll be there. What are channel lock pliers?

(Also, tried the vice grip method. tried c clamps. No dice. The bolt hole gets blocked on one side or the other. Really, what has to happen is the clamp needs to get compressed around the cylindrical object as opposed to just pressing tabs together. It's hard getting something to clamp on a curved surface. :confused: )

I can also just leave the key under the rubber and you can just finish installing the darned thing for me. Oh, and if you wouldn't mind plumbing the engine, and mounting the wings, that would be great. Thanks. You're a peach, Brad.

Last edited:
Slip a hose clamp over the exhaust clamp, so the screw is at the bottom and the hose clamp is angled to clear the ears of the exhaust clamp. Tighten the hose clamp, adjusting the position of the exhaust clamp as you go. I found that, once done, the exhaust clamps kept their shape when removed, so the problem didn't recur. Another thought is to move it away from bends/welds until you get the fastener started and then slip it into position.

I must have blocked those painful memories out over the years Bob....can't help you on a specific technique - but I WAS able to fix the title of the thread for you.....;)

Slip a hose clamp over the exhaust clamp, so the screw is at the bottom and the hose clamp is angled to clear the ears of the exhaust clamp. Tighten the hose clamp, adjusting the position of the exhaust clamp as you go. I found that, once done, the exhaust clamps kept their shape when removed, so the problem didn't recur. Another thought is to move it away from bends/welds until you get the fastener started and then slip it into position.

This is brilliant! I may drive back out to the airport tonight.

I just did the exhaust clamps last week. My fingers still hurt. The adel clamps have been a PITA too. I have a small pair of aligator vise grips which have been very helpful, but not as helpful as having 3 hands might be.

Hemostats might also work (they work fine on Adels). Smaller jaws. The shorter ones (6-inch) have stronger grip. And the awl alignment trick is very useful as well.

greg

I've used a loop of safety wire around stubborn adel clamps with good success. Tighten the loop until the ears mate up, install the bolt and nut, then clip off or untwist the loop. Might need .041 for that big exhaust clamp.

Channel locks. Like vise grips, I believe it comes from the brand name. I've also heard 'adjustable pliers' but it always seemed to me to be a more apt description for the vise grips.

Back