What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

build kit lead times

Outofmoney

I'm New Here
hello
i am beginning the process of building an RV10 and wanted some recommendations/ideas on order/lead times.

Vans website lists Quick Build kits as taking 12+ mos to get in. Standard kits are about 6 mos lead times.

I had planning on using the Quick Build Kits but with a year + wait maybe it would be better to build a standard fuselage and wait on the QuickBuild Wing kit.

I suspect i will be done with the empennage/tail kit in about 3-4 mos.

appreciate your ideas/suggestions.

doug

Same boat here -- it looks like the corrosion issues have pushed back the quickbuild times dramatically. I was going to quickbuild just the wings but am now considering a slow build for the entire airplane. Even if it ends up being 2 or 3 months slower, it's a decent cost savings, and there's no guarantee on timing with these lead times. Waiting to make some more headway on the empennage/tail before I decide.

exactly,
it throws a wrench into the whole thought process..................

at least the standard kits are now final sized drill holes.

doug

at least the standard kits are now final sized drill holes.

I empathize with the delays. Try to think of it as an extra opportunity to have some extra coffee during your empennage build. Ok, maybe that doesn't help...

Your ending comment caught my eye. I recommend still doing a final ream of each hole as tolerances of 0.003 to 0.006 over a row of holes will add up. IOW, don't just cleco, dimple and start riveting ;)

SNIP

Your ending comment caught my eye. I recommend still doing a final ream of each hole as tolerances of 0.003 to 0.006 over a row of holes will add up. IOW, don't just cleco, dimple and start riveting ;)

Not required or desired. The holes are perfect. Any reaming will not change the hole size (best outcome) or unnecessary increase the hole size if your technique is not perfect.

I note however the RV-10 plans have not been updated to a take advantage of holes now at final size. You will have to figure out on your own what steps to skip, what steps to change sequence and, if you prime, how you do all this and create prime batches so you are not priming little piles each day.

Carl

The holes are perfect.

Carl

my own measurements say otherwise, so I respectfully disagree with you. I assume each builder will need to make their own determination based on their personal experience. I find reaming holes is needed on probably 1 out of 10 holes.

Curious to ask the forum members about quick build vs standard kits. If i was to build one standard and one quick build. Would it be better to build the standard fuselage and quick build the wings due to the fuel tank difficulty etc..

Thanks much,
Doug

Curious to ask the forum members about quick build vs standard kits. If i was to build one standard and one quick build. Would it be better to build the standard fuselage and quick build the wings due to the fuel tank difficulty etc..

Thanks much,
Doug

That's a difficult question to answer. I chose to slow build (with build assist) both the wings and fuselage. Part of the motivation was for customization, part for quality and mostly for skill building. It was definitely more expensive than buying a QB kit. The end result was better quality, I was able to easily install better fuel caps and return fittings in the tanks and I learned a great deal.

The fuselage was definitely more "fun". The wings are very repetitive in comparison and riveting in wet proseal was not as much "fun".

We did the fuselage and wings to QB level in about 3 1/2 weeks for each (7 weeks total).

If you can afford the time and the money, buying a slow build kit and using build assist is a great way to go in my opinion.

I can't help but wonder if the twelve month plus lead time for QB kits will be a moving target as the depth of the corrosion issue becomes better known.

Appreciate the responses. Can i get more information about your kit assist build? I believe i have seen people posting that they can come to your shop and help you build your RV. Is that what you are doing?
Doug

They will come to you, but...

Appreciate the responses. Can i get more information about your kit assist build? I believe i have seen people posting that they can come to your shop and help you build your RV. Is that what you are doing?
Doug

I am working with Synergy Air at their South location in Newnan (Atlanta suburb). I did the fuselage out in Eugene back in 2016.

They will send a technician to you, but my understanding is you will pay for travel and living expenses for the tech. Financially, I think you are better off going to one of their locations if at all possible. Plus it’s a really cool place to work and you get to interact with other builders.

I took this picture about a month ago in their main hangar. They have another hangar used primarily for storage of wings and fuselages under construction.

Last edited:
Back