What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 and the Cold Sunset

ArlingtonRV

Well Known Member
Sunday 12/19/21 was a nice day here in the upper left hand corner. I didn't get to take off until just after1500 and didn't have much of a plan for where to go. I was going to go west (young man) out to the coast, but there were more clouds that way than I wanted to deal with. I ended up puttering around in the Bellingham area, thinking of going toward Lynden to check on the flooding in that area when I looked up and saw the sun hitting the snow on top of Mt. Baker and thought this would be a good day to watch the sunset in the mountains.

I climbed up to 8,500', meaning it was even colder, and started hanging around the peaks waiting for the sun to go down. I was hoping to get some good colors reflecting off the snow and did see some, but not as much of a rich red as I had expected. Anyway, I took a lot of photos, some of them even fairly good. The full gallery is linked below, but here are a couple of teasers.

https://steverush.smugmug.com/12-19-21/i-FDPvXKk/A

IMG_4373-L.jpg

IMG_4409-L.jpg

Very nice Steve. Sunday was a great day to fly. And I took full advantage of it on going to the San Juan islands.

That was a spectacular series... and an amazing capture of the moonrise. Were these all cell phone photos? If so, what model cell phone? I ask because I'm just about to upgrade my iPhone. Hoping the iPhone 13 will be capable of capturing the kind of shots you shared.

iPhone 11 Pro

They were shot with an iPhone 11 Pro. Last year I was looking for a better camera and after doing some research figured that the 11 Pro camera was at least as good as anything you can get in the normal recreational camera market (under about $1,000), so I upgraded the iPhone instead.

It's a little more difficult to operate one handed, but a selfie stick makes it pretty easy to use with one hand and click off photos as fast as you can. The down side, I end up bringing back way more phots and have to sort through them and decide what to keep.

Enjoyed the photos, Steve, says an not so young former resident of Darrington, with relatives in Whatcom, Co and a brother in Arlington above the airport. Brought back memories of flying my 9A out of Olympia. Thanks.

Steve, we got into Seattle Sunday and it was a great day. Wish I had been in my plane rather than the Delta flight I was on! It was pretty bumpy coming in so glad you had a good flight. Great pictures. I bet it was cold with the canopy open so you could get such clear shots!

Back