What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can someone tell me how Van's does this MAP line?

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello, I pulled this pic from Van's 360 view of the RV-14 engine.

I want to do my manifold pressure line just like they did. It looks like the line is just hose clamped on the left to the MAP sensor but what did they do on the right where it attaches to the engine? I have an AN816 coming out right there, do they just hose clamp the line to it?

Finally, what type of hose is that? Thanks!

1 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

AN840-4D
1/4 ID fuel rated hose

Fitting should have a restrictor added to it if you make your own.

Last edited:
AN840-4D
1/4 ID fuel rated hose

Fitting should have a restrictor added to it if you make your own.

Scott, do you know if you guys sell one with the restrictor in it? This fitting does not appear to be on the M1B firewall forward list for the RV-7. I'm assuming this is a standard part on the -14. Also, is the Aeroquip hose what you are referring to? Just trying to figure out what I need to order from you guys. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
I added my MAP sensor to the three port manifold that also holds the oil and fuel pressure sensors on the firewall. TS Flightlines built a hose for me with a 90 degree fitting for connecting to #4 primer port and put a 45 deg restrictor fitting at the entry to the manifold block. Seemed to me to be the easiest way to mount the sensor.

Scott, do you know if you guys sell one with the restrictor in it? This fitting does not appear to be on the M1B firewall forward list for the RV-7. I'm assuming this is a standard part on the -14. Also, is the Aeroquip hose what you are referring to? Just trying to figure out what I need to order from you guys. Thanks for the help!

I am not Scott but yes they sell the restrictor fitting.

Any fuel / oil hose the correct size will work as long as it has the correct fitting on the ends if a fitting is necessary.

Van's sells a VA-119 manifold pressure hose but it may or not not work with the MAP gauge that you are using.

On my RV-9A with Garmin G3X Touch, there is considerable lag in the manifold pressure reading when changing the throttle, and the reading does not settle down to a steady state once the throttle is fixed but wanders. I'm wondering if the tube is too long between the manifold and the sensor.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ed

Jereme, the Dynon MAP sensor has a tube stub. So if you use the rubber hose, push it Make a restrictor for the AN840 tube for the #3 cylinder.
Those with teflon hoses and crimped AN hose ends---the restrictor fitting is a no brainer. On the Dynon, side, you can take a short piece of Aeroquip 306-4 and push a male AN fitting in it, and clamp to it and the hose to the Dynon sender.

Tom

I am not Scott but yes they sell the restrictor fitting.

Any fuel / oil hose the correct size will work as long as it has the correct fitting on the ends if a fitting is necessary.

Van's sells a VA-119 manifold pressure hose but it may or not not work with the MAP gauge that you are using.

Ya that fitting is very different than an AN840. I got some of those for my pressure takoffs on fuel/oil but it won't work with this setup unless I go with a flared hose. Something I was trying to avoid just based on cost.

Jereme, the Dynon MAP sensor has a tube stub. So if you use the rubber hose, push it Make a restrictor for the AN840 tube for the #3 cylinder.
Those with teflon hoses and crimped AN hose ends---the restrictor fitting is a no brainer. On the Dynon, side, you can take a short piece of Aeroquip 306-4 and push a male AN fitting in it, and clamp to it and the hose to the Dynon sender.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Thanks for the email as well. A bit to ponder now.

For anyone else searching this in the future. I found a Van's document here that outlines the parts and steps to install this on the -14.

After much searching the hose part number is EA Hose H175 but is referred to on the -14 install as FF-00008. You can also get the clamps which are part number FF-00010. The hose is 1/4" fuel line like Scott mentioned and appears to be Gates PVC/EEC rated to +257 degrees Fahrenheit.

Tom

As Tom mentioned, it is very easy to adapt to a Dynon MAP with a Teflon hose setup.

In our FWF hose kits, we manufacture a MAP adapter for builders with DYNON avionics. Shown below is an integral Firesleeve FWF hose package with the DYNON MAP hose and adapter. (This is not for an RV). The AN flare side hooks up to a restrictor fitting that is screwed into the engine.

Dynon%20Integral%20FS.jpg

We build a lot of FWF hose kits for the the RV14. Shown below is how you can easily adapt a PMAG setup for the RV14 with a DYNON MAP. The teflon hose connects to a restrictor fitting in the engine. That runs to an AN TEE which splits the line. One end goes toward the single or dual pmags, while the other end connects to the DYNON adapter we manufacture for the MAP hook up.

PMAG%20SETUP%20DYNON.jpg

"T"ed off twice for pmags

Hello, I pulled this pic from Van's 360 view of the RV-14 engine.

I want to do my manifold pressure line just like they did. It looks like the line is just hose clamped on the left to the MAP sensor but what did they do on the right where it attaches to the engine? I have an AN816 coming out right there, do they just hose clamp the line to it?

Finally, what type of hose is that? Thanks!

1 by Jereme Carne, on Flickr

Building a 14 and have the same setup with the gates hose, but I "T"ed the hose 2 times to run to pmags and I tried to keep the hoses about the same length. Has anyone had trouble with that setup? Thanks, Larry

Steve from AS. Thanks for adding the great pics! As much as I want to go with your hose on this one I think I'll go the rubber line method just in case I decide to install P-mags later which surely would result in re-ording hoses instead of just Teeing off.

I will however place an order with you and Tom soon to get my main fuel and oil hoses made. :D

Building a 14 and have the same setup with the gates hose, but I "T"ed the hose 2 times to run to pmags and I tried to keep the hoses about the same length. Has anyone had trouble with that setup? Thanks, Larry

I have seen pics of others that have done it, don't know if there are any issues though first hand. I can't imagine why there would be.

Larry,

We have done a bunch of teflon hose kits for builders utilizing very similar routing and lengths with no issues at all, so you should be good. As Scott suggested, you will want a restrictor.

Steve

Steve from AS. Thanks for adding the great pics! As much as I want to go with your hose on this one I think I'll go the rubber line method just in case I decide to install P-mags later which surely would result in re-ording hoses instead of just Teeing off.

I will however place an order with you and Tom soon to get my main fuel and oil hoses made. :D

Jeremy,

Sounds good. We look forward to working with you on your Fuel and Oil lines. If you have a chance, give me a call tomorrow. We could easily customize a solution which would be a "half" PMAG kit. Basically, we would build the firewall forward hose kit so that it would be set up for the std manifold pressure sensor and would be upgrade-able to a Single or Dual PMAG setup down the road without having to reorder all new lines. That option is not on the website but we would be happy to modify one of the FWF kits to accommodate that if you'd like.

Steve

Back