What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS2500 Hobbs and Tach problem

woodmanrog

Well Known Member
Hey Guys,
I have an AFS2500 EIS system installed on our RV6 and a couple of flights ago the Hobbs and the Tach started running backwards. I had this happen soon after purchasing the plane but I can't for the life of me remember what the fix was. This would be great if i was planning to sell the plane,LOL, but I'm not. Any suggestions?
Thanks

I know when I let the battery die out completely I had to go in and reset a few parameters in the settings area. I remember my RPM showing around DOUBLE what the plane was actually turning. Never heard of it counting backwards though...or even why it would...:confused:

Larco,
I have been in contact with AFS and was told they never heard of this problem. Rob is always very helpful and has offered some suggestions. I put this on the forums as a backup so when I get in the cockpit and try resets in case that doesn't work. I have found that generally no problem is new and that RV'ers are always quick to help on the forums. Just a way of garnering more information.

AFS 2500

we have the same unit and had an issue with the Hobbs also. Rob at AFS had some suggestions to try. The suggestions did not work so we removed it and sent took it to their shop, near our home. They did re-program it and ever since it works like a champ. I suggest you call the tech at AFS and have them work with you on the phone with their trouble shooting. If no joy then you can send the unit to them for re-programming. I found out they stand behind their units.

Problem fixed

Saturday I ambled over to the AFS forums and in the AFS2500 general catagory I found instructions for resetting the Hobbs and Tach. After changing the settings, everything seems back to normal. I was told by my wife that when she and her instructor were doing stalls prior to this malady, they were pulling some g's and the whole unit went into the red settings on most of the instruments. We suspect that a wire may have loosened up somewhere and caused my tach/Hobbs problem. Rob from AFS had suggested that if there ever was a sudden power loss, things may have to be reset. So for now, everything seems OK. Thanks guys for the feedback.
Woodman

Back