What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Honoring a Hero in an RV-14A

PandaCub

My namesake, John "Scarsdale Jack" Newkirk, was Squadron Leader for the famous Flying Tigers during World War II. His wingman was a former cartoonist named Bert Christman, who painted the iconic shark's teeth and panda bears on their P-40 airplanes. Newkirk & Christman both graduated from NAS Pensacola in 1939 and became fast friends. Unfortunately, they were both KIA within a couple months of each other while serving in the China-Burma-India theater.

Last weekend was the 80th Anniversary of Bert Christman's passing. His hometown staged a memorial event at Christman Field in Ft. Collins, Colorado and they invited me to do a flyover in my RV-14A with the thought that perhaps 50 - 60 people would show up.

As long as I live, I'll never forget that low approach toward Christman Field at 170 KTAS, clearing the trees, and seeing nearly 200 people waving flags. In addition to my flyby, there was a Navion, a Piper Cub, a WW II trainer airplane, and others. And it was all topped off by three passes from a P-51 Mustang! It made the front page of the local paper, as well as primetime television news on the Denver NBC affiliate. My wife even said it was on Yahoo News.

A near-perfect day for the commemoration of this American hero - and Van's was a big part of it!

Attachments

• Newkirk-Christman-Flyover.jpg
    Newkirk-Christman-Flyover.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 224
  • Christman-Side.jpg
    Christman-Side.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 225
  • Newkirk-Side.jpg
    Newkirk-Side.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_9313.jpg
    IMG_9313.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 259
Great tribute

Bravo for the remembrance of this fallen WWII aviator. American military aviators payed a terrible price during WWII but their efforts and ultimate sacrifice paved the way for victory. The last of WWII military personnel are passing away and we as a country and as pilots should never let their sacrifice fade away

My paint scheme is also a tribute

My namesake, John "Scarsdale Jack" Newkirk, was Squadron Leader for the famous Flying Tigers during World War II.

Jack,
My -4 is a tribute to William F.X. Band who flew with the 16th Army Air Force after the disbanding of the Flying Tigers.

Daddyman

Back