What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine/Prop Salvage

Boomer506

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any experience with salvaging the engine/prop/instruments/ckt breakers/etc from an flying certified airplane? What make/models are good candidates? I'm building and RV8 and am previous RV6 builder and would like to install a CS prop. A PA28 Cherokee with a hollow crank might work. Or a PA28 Arrow, but I think the CS prop on the Arrow does not have the compact hub. Any ideas?

Salvage

For awhile I was a mechanic at a Piper dealer and every Arrow I ever saw with a Hartzell had the compact hub. A few had McCauley CS props and all had oil sumps with the induction air inlet on the back which doesn't work on RV's. A sump change to a configuration that will work is fairly simple.

Don B
RV 9 Rebuild in Progress.

I used as salvaged engine on my RV-4. It can be a great way to go if you get the right airplane for the donor.

the first problem is if you are looking for a airplane from the insurance companies you are competing with wentworth, Dallas air salvage, and a few others bidding on them. those guys are looking at the whole package when they price their bid. there are some parts that are very high priced that will influence their bid and you you wouldn't even give those parts a thought. so generally they will out bid you because they are biding by what they will get for all the pieces and you are looking at just a few.

second problem. even with wind storm damaged aircraft you are still looking at bent props a lot of times and to me the means a tear down, is that a problem to me, no if the price is right.

I bought my engine from wentworth. it came from a no prop strike part out and turned out to be a good value.

you can sometimes find a neglected bird for sale that can be bought at the right price, but you need to factor in that the engine may just be a core.

the 180HP arrow had a 360-a1a I believe in it with a compact hub hartzell, the 200HP arrow had a IO-360-C1C angle valve in it with a compact hub hartzell, which has been used in RV's but doesn't fit in some cowls well.

there are some good deals out there you just have to look hard and be at the right place at the right time with cash in hand.

bob burns
RV-4
N82RB

Find a run out and buy core;

I was lucky and found a first run out O-360 A1F6D that was to be used in exchange for new engine from Lycoming. Core charge allowed at that time was less than 5000, and I bought it for the core charge. Then I had a major overhaul by local builder and came out with a very reasonably priced "0" since major overhaul engine. It gave good service. You might even advertise for someone who is participating in exchange program with the company. :D

Good info, thanks everyone. I'll start looking more closely at PA28 arrows and check for compact hub

Donor

You might consider a flying airplane for a donor. A Mooney would be a good candidate. There are lots of them around and most have 360's. Remember that every part on the donor airplane has a value. It is possible to do this and end up with an engine for free.

Be advised that many of the older airplanes still have Hartzel props which are subject to the AD.

Comanche 180 has the O360A1A. Also, there won't be much in the way of eletrical you'd want to use. Its like half a century old.

The engine I acquired came out of a 68 Arrow with corrosion in a wing spar. It has 1500 hrs TT and 75 hrs SMOH. It is a IO360 B1E. I bought a Superior cold air sump as the B1E has rear induction. It came with a old hartzell F2-7A prop governor that was recently overhauled but I have decided to replace it as it is to long unless you configure the mixture cable to come from the opposite side as normal in a RV7. If you go my route, you will be out 1400 for the sump and 1300 for a governor.

You might consider a flying airplane for a donor. A Mooney would be a good candidate. There are lots of them around and most have 360's. Remember that every part on the donor airplane has a value. It is possible to do this and end up with an engine for free.

Be advised that many of the older airplanes still have Hartzel props which are subject to the AD.

Yes, the idea of buying a flying airplane as a doner is starting to be more appealing. Use everything I possibly can off of it, and sell the rest. Lots of work, but in the end may be the most economical.

Just remember that just because the engine has a hollow crank doesn't mean it is
C/S compatible. For example the O-320-E3D has a hollow crank but will not support a C/S prop.

No reaal help on make/model of engine, but do want to say you have a great idea. Eight years ago, I bought an O-320 out of a hurriicane Charlie'd RV-6A. Carb, starter, exhaust, engine mount, alternator, nose gear, etc. Best deal ever! It had 885 hr TTSN and has given great service. Price, about half that of a new bare engine. Keep looking!

Does anyone have any experience with salvaging the engine/prop/instruments/ckt breakers/etc from an flying certified airplane? What make/models are good candidates? I'm building and RV8 and am previous RV6 builder and would like to install a CS prop. A PA28 Cherokee with a hollow crank might work. Or a PA28 Arrow, but I think the CS prop on the Arrow does not have the compact hub. Any ideas?

This is the way it was always done back before the population got so affluent that they could afford to buy new engines and props.
My engine came out of a Beechcraft Sport with 2500 hrs on it.

I was lucky and found a first run out O-360 A1F6D that was to be used in exchange for new engine from Lycoming. Core charge allowed at that time was less than 5000, and I bought it for the core charge. Then I had a major overhaul by local builder and came out with a very reasonably priced "0" since major overhaul engine. It gave good service. You might even advertise for someone who is participating in exchange program with the company. :D

That engine was running like a top when I sold it in February :)

Back