What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip: Easy Wing Stand Jack Screw

jsherblon

Well Known Member
Here's a quick and easy jack screw. Materials are (2) 12" X 3/8" all-thread rod, 4 or 5 3/8" nuts, scrap 2X4

library2179lp8.jpg

I sanded one side of each 3/8" nut, cleaned them with acetone, epoxied them together, and clamped them overnight.

library2181ti9.jpg

library2180xt6.jpg

library2182ci4.jpg

Here's the finished jack screw. The extra nuts are used to adjust the height and to lock it. This one has fully supported the weight of one end of the wing. The trick is prep the nuts and use good epoxy. If you don't scuff the nuts and clean them the epoxy will fail. The 2X4 block are drilled 3/8' half-way through.

library2186zz7.jpg

These are a modification of Rudi's wing stands. Same idea with smaller feet. The lag screws are inside the bottom, trapazoidal 2x4.

library2190kz5.jpg

One other tip - I screwed bicycle hooks into the ends of my workbench. They are really handy to hang stuff. I hang my air drill on them when I need a place to put it out of the way. Here's a rear wing spar hanging around until it gets clecoed to the ribs.

Nice Wings stands :D I like the no extra material overhang on top of the stands. Will make working around and over the top of the stands easier. Nice improvement, maybe you want to add a picture of it over at the consolidated metal wing stand thread, just to keep the improvements together?

Regards
Rudi

Looks good. I just made a set of stands, and went with 6x6" 3/8" thick plates for the bases. I did leave about 8" or so above the top angle...If it looks like it will be in the way, it may have to get chopped off. I like your jack screw...one improvement I will do with mine is to use a hardware store turnbuckle that takes 3/8 eyelets, cut the eye off the left hand threaded part and put that end in the wooden block on the floor. Then replace the top eyelet with a length of allthread cut to size. The turnbuckel will give an easy adjustment range of a couple of inches.

Mike

Back