What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Fixing" Scotchbrite Wheel

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
My 6" scotchbrite wheel has worked like a champ for my build but in that time I have developed two grooves in the disk from repeated deburring in the same place (ooops). Is there an effective way to "fix" the wheel to grind down the other area to get a smooth surface? It chews through things too quickly to adequately grind it down. Thoughts other than just live with it or buy a new one? The grooves are no more than 1/16" deep.

Debur some thick stock "on the flat" and vary your technique.

Buying a second one won't hurt anything except for your wallet.

Press on!

:D. CJ

Course sand paper on a wood block, or run a die grinder with a course sanding drum against it.

The Fix

Take a broken grinding wheel or a rough rock and rub against the scotchbrite wheel to remove some of the wheels diameter and recondition the wheel surface

groovy is good!

I like the groove in the ScotchBrite wheel. It is perfect for deburring both sides of a piece in one pass. Just run the edge at a slight angle through the groove and each side of the groove will completely deburr the edge.

Here is the large groove that I cultivated on the 2" wheel:

panels-6.jpg

It eventually gets even deeper (and works better) before I replace the wheel.

I like a nice pretty scotchbrite wheel. I keep one with certain depth grooves, and one flat and square. I use a large 8" angle sander with a super coarse grit (like 18 grit) paper on it to make wheel adjustments. Very quick and effective.

A Carborundum dressing stone will square it up quickly and easily.

I bought two, one for flat work and the other one for edge de burring as mentioned above.

I was able to redress my 6" Scotchbrite wheel on my bench grinder with an old expendable file. By the way, after the RV is now 99% complete the wheel is down to about 4.5":rolleyes: I used it for many, many parts.

I need to recondition the surface of my wheel too. I have done this before with an old file but it sure takes awhile and greatly degrades the life expectancy on the wheel (not to mention the file).

While grooves can be good, I find they can start to leave a knife-like edge on the deburred piece if the grooves get too deep.

Back