What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't Have 100 Roubles Have 100 Friends

Battle with Tanks at Chiriaco

All right, wifi is still down after Sandy and I am using old trusty dial-up. Time to finish that trip story I covered almost 1/2 already :)

... After exiting Death Valley I need three things; First - to kill 2.5 hours. An airshow was in full strenght at Miramar and TFR would be lifted at 5 pm.
Second - get fully gassed up on the way to Coolifornia coast I heard fuel is expensive there. Third - something meaty to bite.

According to famous planning software the cheapest fuel was at 29 Palms.

Oh wait. You don't see him but he is there. Some biker going supersonic on that dry lake bed.

2-14.jpg

Now 29 Palms.

1-15.jpg

Two things not in accordeon there. 1. Only four palms found instead of thirty nine and 2. Gas is almost six bucks!!! Who is the feeder for famous planning software!!! No wonder I can't save for paint paying that huge margin...

photo.jpg

Anyway I filled up hopped a ridge or two

3-14.jpg

and headed to L77, an airport where cavalry museum is.

5-14.jpg

I was very suspicious of that place. Not much talk among RVators, no writeups on other boards. Anyway lessee...

4-13.jpg

Last edited:
Runway at Chiriaco looks good from an altitude but as you get closer not so.

This was the first thing I saw. Allan did you see this?

12-4.jpg

Going farther. Somebody in the bushes.

10-9.jpg

And then I kid you not gentemen. This picture was at the parking.

6-14.jpg

The owner told me the story really hard to believe. But I still think these retired fellows were the guilty party. They scared that breakfast group who flew in.

8-11.jpg

I was advised to chain my bird down and walk to the truck stop. There should be some food.

7-13.jpg

13-4.jpg

4-14.jpg

And there was.

12-5.jpg

Why do you chain your plane down but leave the canopy propped open?

There was no wind and very hot that's why canopy propped. Chains per affected breakfast group advice I didn't give it much thought. They are locals they know :D

L77 is very funny spot. It's basically a truck stop. A foodmart and a restaurant. A gas station I wish I had cans. A tank museum.

14-4.jpg

6-15.jpg

7-14.jpg

10-10.jpg

2-15.jpg

Obligatory food picture :)

5-15.jpg

30 more minutes to kill.

8-12.jpg

11-7.jpg

Time to go. Bye bye birdie get nose job.

1-16.jpg

On the go right over Bruce estate red circle over Miramar magically dissolved. I landed at KMYF Montgomery Field of San Diego and spent two nights with these guys. Brooklyn to the right and Skyler to the left.

9-11.jpg

Airport in the Sky and in search of coyotes next...

That's 29 Palms

Great stuff Vlad.
In your Picture of the 29 Palms airport, that trailer has not changed much in 35 years. I can recall Bill Brown, a WWII veteran, who towed gliders in a Super Cub.
He was a cowboy pilot, where, at the end of the day, he would sit dwon near that trailer and break out his guitar, it was country western time...
Many a party was held on that ramp.

To the right of the trailer in your that picture is a cabin that was built by Noel Roberts. He was like a brother to my father.

I have memory images of your final approach picture of so many many times.
In the early 70's, my father and Noel had all of great names of glider pilots coming to the 29 palms soaring events.
We would come here via C-170 just as much via a car. I grew up in this desert. I learned to drive a old Buick here. I soloed in a glider here. On the hills to the south is where my fathers ashes where spread. I had Noel in the back seat while I was flying the front of the Citabria.
This is a time when a Narco MK-12A was new technology! But we had Elmer Katinski who invented his own Radio...
Nothing sad, all great times and wonderful memories...:D

San Diego!!!

San Diego! Love the weather!

4-15.jpg

3-16.jpg

San Diego connection was the one and only not made here on VAF. A while ago a young couple (both marines) was visiting New York City and I know their brother. They wanted a ride over NY they were so adamant drove all the way in heavy traffic from the city to my airport and we went up just before dark. Wannabe RVators in Big Apple always find a reason not to go but these two marines were dead serious. Both went up with me and enjoyed tremendously. After landing they said if I ever come to San Diego I have a place to stay. And I did have a place to stay. In a nice gated community at cozy house with big pool, four cars, two dogs, fishtank and a singing bird. Thank you Jorge and pass my thanks to your ladies.

This is from previous ride.

2-16.jpg

1-17.jpg

Next morning Jorge and I flew to Catalina island.

5-16.jpg

The marine doesn't have pilot license (yet) but he had some training before.

6-16.jpg

Last edited:
We descended, checked out with LA Approach

7-15.jpg

turned on good music and Jorge took over controls.

8-13.jpg

10-11.jpg

We enjoyed the island. My first time exploring such an exotic. It's so good to have autopilot.

9-12.jpg

Landed a bit long but it's RV and it can stop on a dime. Jorge made good video using his iPhone I'll get link later.

11-8.jpg

12-6.jpg

Ate famous bison burgers.

5-1.jpg

Way back was familiar but I did get a bit confused. Never lost though. Great when a local is sitting side by side and can point to right direction :D

13-5.jpg

I was so sure I had airport in sight even ATC believed that. I indeed had airport in sight but it was Miramar not Montgomery. Jorge corrected me first, then controller gave me couple degrees to the other left and we were home :D

15-4.jpg

14-5.jpg

Then there was a BBQ and a good sleep. I stayed two days in San Diego and loved every minute of it.

The morning after next I left. Jorge drove me to the airport in his race car he built himself. That RV10 will be a piece of cake for him to build if fiscal stars lined up.

16-3.jpg

Bye buddy I'll see you in March in New York City dinner on me.

17-3.jpg

Last edited:
"Airport in the Sky"

Vlad:

Glad you were able to make it to Catalina, especially w/ a local guide. That approach is... interesting if you don't know what to expect, especially the burbles at the approach.

As for the Miramar/Montgomery mixup, it's very common, usually corrected in time, and with no serious consequences. Had your destination been just a bit South, folks often mistake Gen. Rodriguez (Tijuana, Mexico) for the smallish Brown Field (US) with more significant consequences.

Glad all worked out well, and my offer of a pint of the world's best India Pale Ale still stands.

Glad all worked out well, and my offer of a pint of the world's best India Pale Ale still stands.

February 2014 Ron? Chips included? :D

... See you later San Diego.

18-3.jpg

Time to check for coyotes. No not the canine kind.

111.jpg

19-2.jpg

Here they may dig under iron fence. If I spot some I would radio directly to Rangeley ME there is a CPB post.

31.jpg

Nobody in AZ desert nothing to report.

32.jpg

Turned around the corner

33-1.jpg

and headed to Yuma, AZ for fuel and food.

121.jpg

34.jpg

Sweet spot Yuma! $1 breakfast at Million Air????

36.jpg

Tobin Basford flew over with his wingman.

35.jpg

On the weekday it's like a beehive in Yuma. Everything what could fly is airborne. Jump jets, hybrids, airlines everybody likes VFR. Tower standing tall and very strict no rookies allowed. Go ahead Big RJ. You need two minutes? Cool I am out.

37.jpg

38.jpg

Anybody please invent air conditioning for RV9. Hot!

40.jpg

They carved a corridor here. Restricted areas left and right and poor transient is squeezed tight in between.

444.jpg

I was on my way to Tucson. Somewhere half way I remember I've read an article in New York Times about relocated blimps. They were brought from the other side of the world to help with borders here. That's why I see no coyotes. See those two white spots? Remote Border Patrol.

39.jpg

Their arresting gear.

41.jpg

Their pool.

42.jpg

Somewhere here lives Acrogirl she is off airport today I checked.

55.jpg

56.jpg

I thought Yuma was dense on traffic forget about it. When one gets to Tucson he wonders why it's still not Class Bravo? :D

1-18.jpg

I was religiously holding VFR altitude +/- 2 feet and turning knobs on my radio with speed of light working my way to the Boneyard.

2-17.jpg

But when two blunt noses suddenly appeared out of nowhere I chickened out and punched in :D

3-17.jpg

"HEADING 180" grrrr see you next time Boneyard.

2-17.jpg

Had to look at trains instead.

5-17.jpg

Landed at Benson E95. With no apparent reason just because.

6-17.jpg

7-16.jpg

Auto Pilot

Hey Vlad,
You look pretty comfortable up there with just your socks on. Just curious, do you have an auto-pilot? My Navaid died in my 7-A and I am planing a long trip next month. I was thinking about not putting a new one in. I fly VFR.
So do you hand fly your trips?

Matt

Hey Vlad,
You look pretty comfortable up there with just your socks on. Just curious, do you have an auto-pilot? My Navaid died in my 7-A and I am planing a long trip next month. I was thinking about not putting a new one in. I fly VFR.
So do you hand fly your trips?

Matt

Matt I don't have an autopilot I hand fly all the time and love it. I have very stable airplane it seats trimmed straight on the heading for several minutes. Socks?? They are kevlar I hope nobody runs a matching software to prove the opposite. :D

Some day I would like to experience the RV-9. "Stable" sounds very nice ;)

My RV-8 is definitely not stable enough to fly hands off for more than a few seconds. Fully trimmed, just shifting my weight to reach behind me and the plane starts to bank or pitch.

Some day I would like to experience the RV-9. "Stable" sounds very nice ;)

My RV-8 is definitely not stable enough to fly hands off for more than a few seconds. Fully trimmed, just shifting my weight to reach behind me and the plane starts to bank or pitch.

I can arrange a ride in a 9, when you're ready...if Vlad doesn't beat me to it.

Last edited:
Forward to Spaceport America!

From Benson I headed to Las Cruses NM first. I need some consulting on Spaceport operations. Run low on oxygen too.

Passed a playa. Great landing site. They say Burning Man has similar surface ;).

playa.jpg

1-19.jpg

A bit north from here there is a great place for rent (on VAF front page today)

3-18.jpg

2-18.jpg

Shortly after I landed at Las Cruses, NM and was met by Don and Russ my space advisors. Don is building RV-9A and is a CFI, Russ is already flying his 9.

5-18.jpg

Don briefed me on status of restricted areas and their altitudes. Then local fbo filled my oxygen bottle for $45 to half the capacity. Their equipment couldn't handle pressure over 1K psi better then nothing. But 45? Kind of steep. I took off and tuned to ABQ approach.

DSC_0456.jpg

Niet! - said Approach. ALL IS HOT! Can I climb over Sir maybe? NO, I DON'T THINK SO. I wish I had tkatc onboard. A thought crossed my mind to tell them I have a sack of cash for Mr Branson to buy a turrist space slot. Don said it's not going to work.

Having half tank of fresh O2 I started climbing.

4-17.jpg

Reached maximum allowed VFR altitude and stayed along R-border.

111-1.jpg

No missiles were flying out of White Sands, no dog fights, nothing.

whitesands.jpg

I think they kept Russian off their private Baikonur on purpose. Forget low pass I just enjoyed view from inner space.

5-19.jpg

To get to outer space you have to pay 200K but to reach inner space it cost only $20 the view is not much different then from Space Ship Two. Am I right? Take a look.

3-19.jpg

6-19.jpg

1-20.jpg

Last edited:
Spent good half hour on Spaceport Watch and headed to Moriarty the place Gary Palinkas suggested in case I need low no-budget overnight.

8-14.jpg

My tach was happy.

7-17.jpg

Me too. Glider Capital of the World. Moriarty, NM. Winds were howling along multi mile runway. Third of it was marked inop.

9-13.jpg

The place was total modesty. Who was there knows. :)

Met a pilot with nice half polished Cessna-140 he was heading to Tucson for their annual thing. Are you the guy who built the plane in an apartment? I want a picture... Good thing his camera backfired and it was getting really dark. He was first for crew car but I was first to occupy the terminal. He gave me a ride to the town to get a bite and settled at Holiday Inn himself. Forgot your name buddy if it happens you are reading this thank you very much.

This was my quarters.

10-12.jpg

Winds were howling all night. Some strange creaking sounds and some banging on the roof. Scary. Then after midnight somebody punched the code and entered the terminal... It was sheriff. "Just checking if everything is OK you may want to close those curtains everybody does". After he left I couldn't sleep anymore. Went outside to check the plane and tie down. Took a flashlight. Left main tire pressure was low. Need to wait till sunrise shower would help. Kitchenette had no coffee...

11-9.jpg

Last edited:
Ah, nice....

I've anchored here - the only natural deep water harbor between San Diego and somewhere much farther north.

10-11.jpg

I was told that the curved jetty was built by ballast rocks from the clipper ships.

Paddling the kayak around that harbor on a moonless night is a truly dark experience. But when I found myself out at the entrance (hidden under Vlad's left wing) it was obvious - next stop Asia. I turned around and went back to my sailboat.

Dave

Will I ever finish this write up? Sure but not today :D

Moriarty got me thinking. Four more fuel loads to burn, almost 50 hours already flown without oil change, left main tire seems losing air and weather at Key West is not for VFR pilot. I am in NM. Somewhat tired. Why don't I fly home, change oil, take a good sleep and go to Key West afterwards? Am I smart and efficient decision maker? :D

Heading East. Whiskey compass happy with strong tailwinds. I pushed throttle to 51% power and immediately joined 200 kts Club. Right after I took the picture my Lycoming went back to jogging mode.

200ktsclub.png

Texas baby! They say there is a nice restaurant in Amarillo but real Texans live in Hereford and I headed there.

1-21.jpg

I landed at several TX airports before but let me tell you Hereford is unique. The airport fence borders a big cattle ranch. You can smell this airport from 10 mile final. Nice lady in jeans and boots pumps your fuel and there are donuts and coffee in the kitchen. No ranch spirits ever penetrated terminal's walls.

While I was busy consuming airport rations the manager lady stepped to the kitchen and told me about a phone call waiting for me. Phone call? What?
My pea sized brain was spinning who might call? About what? Friendly Administration maybe for noise over the ranch? The manager wasn't smiling either she looked rather worried.

Hey Vlad; - said phone tube, - why don't you turn south our way we have VansCave under construction. I am one of your fans tracking you...

For the life of me I don't know who he was. I thought I knew. Please identify yourself good buddy you got me at Hereford :D

Another leg. Working as autopilot :D I trimmed a bit wing heavy and it's going nowhere to the right.

9-14.jpg

Last edited:
Seen lots of mil heavies in my life but never in a pack of three.

2-20.jpg

You don't see them but they are there :D Blocked from FL220 to FL250 B-52s are doing refueling. They are bringing memories to a Delta captain too. I heard it.

3-20.jpg

When I see ships like that it means a big harbor is nearby.

6-20.jpg

Look right there. A harbor slighty larger then Hereford.

5-20.jpg

Next stop will be somewhere in South Carolina. I don't fly at night. I am hungry again and I want to sleep.

Overnight in Allendale. It's a version of Moriarty South Carolina style.

In the morning I inspected left main tire. It looks like again I have to keep that tank empty and land on one wheel...

Then a genleman of age came in looking at the plane.

-RV? Wrong tail number,- he said.
-Why?
-Some digits not right. I knew one guy with these digits and he crashed.
I tried to pitch him my letter containment theory he didn't buy.

You know who that gentleman was? The very first instructor who taught Pierre Smith to fly. The original Smiling Jack. The guy they wrote articles about. The patriot to his bones. Personal friend of Mr Powers and You Too pilot himself. True gentleman.

-Take my Jeep and go get something to eat. Need money?
-No thanks I need some air.
-OK come to my hangar I'll give you a tank. You need some tyre Boi!
-I know.

8-15.jpg

I drove his Jeep to town full of Hardees got food and pumped double portion of air. The only thing I couldn't understand. Why Smiling Jack was talking about tail number on a perfect RV but then himself jumped into a strange yellow machine full of chemicals and diesel fuel and flew over treetops in a way I would never dare. The man in his 70ies. They made them tough in last century :D

7-18.jpg

That very day I was at my home field. Next day I did required maintenance and headed to Florida to burn two more loads of pre planned fuel.

BTW, Pierre, I didn't know know you built at least ten RVs? :)

Wrapping Up

Time to wrap up this massive journey. Gets boring, doesn't it?

Off to Key West!!! Three days of vacation and two fuel loads left!

1.jpg

Nothing interested on the ground except BMW ship full of MINIs

2.jpg

and this well known airfield. Every time I am over it I do a circle of honor.

3.jpg

VAF TV reception was good over Carolinas.

5.jpg

Strong mogas here.

6.jpg

Further south. This isn't dry New Mexico this is humid and condensed Florida.

7.jpg

Early this year Ted drove me here.

8.jpg

Anybody ever listened to Daytona approach? OMG! No wonder they bounced me off NASA SLF :D

9.jpg

Scored one island landing (Merritt) and headed to Stuart. Turbo was notified and on the way.

10.jpg

11.jpg

My RV was tucked in between Turbo's toys. Boy what a hangas this guy has!

12.jpg

13.jpg

We ended the day at Sailor's Retreat restaurant by the marina. Great food and drinks. What did we eat there Turbo? :D

img1314no.jpg

Tomorrow is Wednesday we go to Sebring for breakfast then to see Gary Palinkas.

Off to Sebring next morning. Very early morning. We landed first and woke a big truck up. He erected a lighted X at the end of the runway and went back to sleep. The breakfast crowd arrived later and everybody was confused where to land and how to taxi. But not Turbo and I.

14.jpg

This helicopter pilot we met on the ramp is flying for a Disney motion studio. Filming some speedy crafts.

16.jpg

He can fly that rotary machine BACKWARDS twice the speed listed in POH. Literally he is a factory test pilot. 150,000 hours in 500 heli types. Cool fellow.

15.jpg

The breakfast group started to arrive.

19.jpg

22.jpg

What a cool place Sebring is! A must for every RVator to visit.

21.jpg

17.jpg

Where else you have breakfast with legendary Sam James? At Osh 2005 I could not even approach his fiberglass seminar there were so many people. And now I am sitting across the table and talking to him. To the right seats Charlie Papworth, one of the leaders with e-Go plane http://www.e-goaeroplanes.com/

18.jpg

We had great food (thanks Turbo for picking up the tab) and good time.

20.jpg

Crossed the whole state of Florida in like 10 minutes

23.jpg

and landed on a nice sandy field Gary invited us to. His Venice was under renovation.

24.jpg

Gary gave us a great tour. I examined and certified his hangar fridge. Married man.

g3.jpg

He built his RV6 within a 36 years span nobody builts that long but she is a beauty. Don't paint those wing to fuse fairings.

g1.jpg

g2.jpg

Then we went to multiple location in Venice. Great place to retire.

g4.jpg

There is a hot spot called Sharky's. A restaurant and a long jetty. We had grouper wraps there I saved one for tomorrow. Watched beggar dolfins and other wildlife (pictures withheld it's family site)

g5.jpg

g6.jpg

We stopped by Gary's airplane factory and paint booth then left for island hopping. Gary signalled to me where to taxi but I misinterpreted the signals. Took a construction road instead :D

26.jpg

Hip-hop we go with Turbo on FL west coast islands.

g7.jpg

g8.jpg

What a great day it was! Key West trip was canceled the Hurricane Sandy was on the way from Haiti. Let's sleep good and head home tomorrow morning.

Morning was even better then yesterday evening. I timed my arrival to Shuttle Landing Facility 5 minutes before NASA Tower was open. As soon as they announced they are in business next second I punched in. Bumpy but good! They have really nice Japanese garden at the end of rwy 15.

g9.jpg

Couple clouds by my regular stop at Palatka, FL.

g11.jpg

A runway was closed. Police in training.

28.jpg

The breakfast at Palatka consisted of yesterday's lefovers. A grouper wrap from Sharky's and good stuff from Chipotle Grill. Turbo supplied me with platinum spoon. Where are you Con?
Checking on VAF spy network.

27.jpg

Up and north again. Met flying gas station.

29.jpg

Then landed on two islands, Ocracoke and Hatteras.

32.jpg

30.jpg

33.jpg

31.jpg

I was so fascinated with views I forgot to check my secure communication link.

34.jpg

36.jpg

35.jpg

37.jpg

Airborne I checked my dedicated communication link. My cousin (he was at work) was YELLING in texting STOP FOOLING AROUND!!! HURRICANE SANDY IS COMING!!!

I stopped and focused on flying.

41.jpg

Last edited:
Good people at Oceana and Norfolk let me fly over them and separated me from a police helicopter.

42.jpg

43.jpg

Wallops tower was great too.

44.jpg

I hopped over last bay from ship to ship and was picked up by a radar.

45.jpg

Camera refused to focus and I just enjoyed rest of the flight home. It was like in good old days only language and location were different. Thanks cousin for reading the obstacles :)

Two more hours drive from the airport and I am home having couple beers and counting kopeks left. I still have one day. Frankenstorm will arrive next week. End of saga.

Last edited:
There are no pictures to document the final moments off this flight because Russian was battling diminishing light under MVFR skies. It can get very dark under there when racing the sun in a day/VFR only craft!

I put him on discreet frequency and gave him priority handling around some prominent antennas (1000+ AGL) :eek:

I was glad he returned safely, he owes me several lunches!

Now Vlad, Jack lays it on thick, at times.

He's a good friend but he's never ever given me a flying lesson.

He also stretched my RV building from 3 to ten!

You gotta learn to sort the wheat from the chaff:)

Best,

Now Vlad, Jack lays it on thick, at times.

He's a good friend but he's never ever given me a flying lesson.

He also stretched my RV building from 3 to ten!

You gotta learn to sort the wheat from the chaff:)

Best,

:D:D:D what else can I say Pierre? It was one of the nicest funny morning on my trip.

He built his RV6 within a 36 years span nobody builts that long but she is a beauty. Don't paint those wing to fuse fairings.

g1.jpg

Vman, Great having you visit. Come back in the spring/summer after your Alaska trip. You will need to warm up after that one.

The 36 year build must have been one of the knots/MPH language barrier things again..... :) It ONLY took me 14 years :D

And, yes, I am taking your advice and leaving the leading edge of the wing fairings white.

Back