What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Milestone

gerrychuck

Well Known Member
This morning I stood in front of my hangar and watched my RV start up, taxi away and take off without me. This is a first since I bought it in 2011 and was not easy for me! In the left seat was my son, who is a military instructor pilot in the Harvard II (T6) and has 100 hours in the T38. In the right seat, checking him out, was my friend Brett (Laser) Glaeser, who has 100 RV hours, 4 years in the Snowbirds, 6 years as a jet instructor on the BAE Hawk, 7 years as a Hornet pilot, and now flies right seat in a 737. In other words, they are both immensely superior to me in terms of pilot skills and experience, but it was still ridiculously hard to watch that plane take off and disappear without me!

All went very well with the flight (except for an idiot skydive pilot who attempted to have a midair with them in the pattern, but that discussion is a whole 'nother story), and they quickly reset the g-meter on landing to eliminate evidence of any bad behaviour, and there is now another fully insured and qualified RV driver in the family. I'm over it.

Nice story....more!!!!

Yes, it's kinda funny....I've only seen my instructor 'deliver' my new plane to me....the rest of the time, I've been on the stick. Hope you enjoy your new partner!
( ....so, do you really mean 100 hours CF-5 time?.....keep 'em guessing eh?!) :)

Yes, it's kinda funny....I've only seen my instructor 'deliver' my new plane to me....the rest of the time, I've been on the stick. Hope you enjoy your new partner!
( ....so, do you really mean 100 hours CF-5 time?.....keep 'em guessing eh?!) :)

Nope! T-38 time; he did his fast jet training at Sheppard AFB on the EuroNato joint jet training program, which includes a number of NATO countries. His course included American, German, Canadian and Spanish students. Ironic that a kid who was born and raised within sight of our jet training base in Moose Jaw ultimately was sent to Texas for training (due to our Hawks having a wee bit of trouble with engines fragging in flight resulting in the program being way behind schedule). Good catch though!

Back