What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight for "WindRider"

songbird

On April 26 Kit No. 73504 became "WindRider", the airplane. Three years of building came to a wonderful conclusion.

On May 7th "WindRider" took to the skies over Houston. She flew hands off, and the engine preformed well. Her older brother RV-4 "WindRunner" watched from the ground. "WindRunner" was originally built by Richard Smith of Vans Aircraft in 1987 and I took her through an upgrade and makeover with the help and guidance of David Grover and Nick Nafsinger of Houston's Lone Star Squadron. Their help provided the spark to take on the RV-7 project. Their help, and the encouragement of all of the other LSS members was essential in the completion of this build.

"WindRider" getting some last minute instructions from "WindRunner"

GRT plus GTN plus VPX makes for a pretty good panel.

It's not possible to thank everyone involved in this journey. My wife encouraged me and endured me. My fellow pilots were always ready to answer questions. Van's staff ALWAYS helped when I needed it. Vendors were without exception ready to provide solutions. One only needs to look at the side bars of this site to know who helped. And to everyone who ever posted a technique, work around, solution, or opinion on this site, thank you. One final thank you to Doug Reeves for hosting this exceptional site.

Outstanding job, Rick! Looks like you've got the edge on standard squadron colors! !

Mine's back on line, so we need to go fly.

Congratulations! It looks like we have a new formation team. Who will be flying the 4?

Nice ride Rick!

Have fun flying the time off!

I'll be happy to keep your -4 from felling neglected.

Back