What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Checkerboard Rudder

n38139

Well Known Member
I have seen several checker board tail paint jobs and was wondering what size the average block is?

2" but mine are ghosted and I was going for a different effect.
IMG_9423.JPG

photo%25201.JPG

Could someone describe how you mask your rudder for a checker board paint scheme. Do you do one row ,and then mask for the next row and so on?

Mine is being finished at this time. The checkers are 2", rudder only and with pointy edge up so it will look like diamonds. The guy doing it has done many such designs on race cars. Will post a picture when I pick it up next Monday.

All the other parts - ailerons, flaps, HS, VS, canopy, cowl, wing tips, fairings, wing and fuselage bottom are painted. Reassembling the beast at present, will re-weigh it, and get on with flying - finally. :)

Serious polishing of what has not been painted will follow on rainy days.

I did mine in 3". Went to a local sign shop that cuts vinyl and had them cut me 2 "spray mask" of 3" squares. Painted rudder white, applied mask and shot black, removed mask and cleared.

Chris

I believe checker board rudders add an extra 5 knots to your cruise performance :D:rolleyes: (Maybe the more blocks the faster :p )

Last edited:
I believe checker board rudders add an extra 5 knots to your cruise performance

Checkerboard rudders help, but lots of red in the paint scheme helps to go even faster. :p

IMG_7318-001.JPG

3" squares on mine.

I did mine in 3". Went to a local sign shop that cuts vinyl and had them cut me 2 "spray mask" of 3" squares. Painted rudder white, applied mask and shot black, removed mask and cleared.

The builder of my RV-6 did exactly the same thing... got a spray mask made from vinyl at a local sign shop.

Last edited:
Checkerboard rudders help, but lots of red in the paint scheme helps to go even faster. :p

IMG_7318-001.JPG

3" squares on mine.

The builder of my RV-6 did exactly the same thing... got a spray mask made from vinyl at a local sign shop.
That's a beautiful paint job. Might even pass for Aggie maroon!!

That's a beautiful paint job. Might even pass for Aggie maroon!!

Thanks!

The builder said it is Acry Glo solid Cabernet Red, a color that's supposedly been discontinued but can still be special-ordered from S/W for extra $$$ . In subdued lighting conditions it does look maroon, but in bright direct sunlight it definitely looks more red than maroon.

So PropellerHead, Not sure I like what you are referring to :rolleyes:

They not only look faster, I can attest that they are faster :D

Checkered past

I have seen several checker board tail paint jobs and was wondering what size the average block is?

I used 2.5" on rudder/4" cowling on The Bandit...paint masked everything, no vinyl...

V/R
Smokey

Click to enlarge...
Bandit @U72

Last edited:
Checker Board

FinalPaintScheme3_zpsd7d3b62e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I admit I took the easy way out. All the Checkers are 3" Vinyl on polished Aluminum. I had extras made so if one gets scuffed up simply peal it off and apply a new one. Used them on rudder, flaps and fuselage...

Um, not just the tail, I went a little overboard with the checker thing, I have more pics on my build site if you care to see my madness.
DSC03121.jpg

Here's another checkerboard example... The RaVen Aerobatic Team based in Swansea, Wales...

FP25052014A00021.jpg

I was lucky enough to be the camera ship pilot as a return favour for Raven 3 (Barry Gwynett) being the camera ship for my photo shoot.

PS: Keep in mind that if you are going to do checks, compound curves are going to require some creative taping. I posted the above photo mainly to give you an example of what you need to account for if wrapping the nose in checks. Even smaller checks will require some curving, but you can straighten em all out once past the compound bits.

Back