What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

William Boyd and his Hopalong

Vlad

Well Known Member
Part 67.

William Boyd is doing good and still producing series. He invited us (Glen and I) to his private jet port 12VA for casting. Weather was perfect as usual. A little beating was expected from the surface to 11K. I snacked somewhere in the woods of PA and launched on 2.5 hour leg to VA.

Hour 1.

Hour 2.

Hour 2 1/4

After hour 2 and a half in moderate + chop my head was shaking and teeth clanking. If somebody saw me at that time would have easily thought I escaped from an institution... Somewhere here is the jetport. Anybody on the frequency? Hopalong? Russki abeam the ball!

Bill responded on the radio and literally guided me through. Here we go on a slice of paradise. Sometimes it feels nicer to be on the ground.

Taxi!

Last edited:
Down the ridge from you in Blacksburg Sunday

Vlad, I was just down the ridge from you on Sunday in Blacksburg. We took off around noon to head back to Wisconsin after visiting our daughter. I know what you mean by chop. My wife did not enjoy the rough air over the mountains. We had to climb to 8500 ft to find smooth air and then had a very strong headwind. We did not find clean smooth air at a lower altitude until we were over Indiana. I heard on the news yesterday that a commercial flight coming out of the NE heading to Florida hit turbulance at 15,000 ft that injured several passengers that same afternoon.

My 2hr trip to Bill's paradise included 1.5 hours of some of the least pleasant flying since I purchased my RV.

My 1hr at Hop Along was some of the most pleasant time made possible by my RV. :)

The Beatles would say the Bill and his family live in "the house on the hill". It provides for some fun photography. Here is the action figure of Vlad and the limited edition Devastator toy.

20140507-060125-575x431.jpg

20140504-185531-575x406.jpg

Part 67.

William Boyd is doing good and still producing series. He invited us (Glen and I) to his private jet port 12VA for casting. Weather was perfect as usual. A little beating was expected from the surface to 11K. I snacked somewhere in the woods of PA and launched on 2.5 hour leg to VA.

Hey Vlad......from the angle of this picture....it looks like you must have flown to 12VA via the southern hemisphere? Or REALLY BAD turbulence during photo shot:eek: I had to lay down next to my computer to look at the picture:D

Toy

Here is the action figure of Vlad and the limited edition Devastator toy.

20140507-060125-575x431.jpg

20140504-185531-575x406.jpg

Glen,

I like the photo of "toy". When I first looked at the original post prior to reading it, I looked at the photo and thought it was a toy....a model of your RV that you set in the grass to give it the effect of being a "real" airplane. Cool:cool:

Too bad Vlad didn't have a fork and knife in his hand....that would have been a REAL ACTION shot:D

I think Vlad is going to need an engine overhaul very soon, as much as he flies that airplane :D

I'm actually not related

to Hopalong Cassidy, but enjoyed having the "extras" come out for casting call last Sunday. If William Boyd were still alive and filming singing westerns, I think we'd have found two "red shirts" for future episodes We need a "Natasha" to go with "Boris" so there's still at least one opening :D

Fly-ins and river float adventures with BBQ have been done many times at 12VA, and I believe will be again. My new bride, the Saucy Wench, seems very keen on the idea. Need to give her a few more weeks to whip me and the home place into presentable shape and we should be good to go.

-Stormy

Glen,

I like the photo of "toy". When I first looked at the original post prior to reading it, I looked at the photo and thought it was a toy....a model of your RV that you set in the grass to give it the effect of being a "real" airplane. Cool:cool:

Too bad Vlad didn't have a fork and knife in his hand....that would have been a REAL ACTION shot:D

What the Vlad action figure needs is a Mosin Nagant. I saw him prone out several times on the runway, and he didn't fool me that it had anything to do with photography. Think "Enemy at the Gates."

Bill's place is indeed a fun spot for photography.

While the gurus are arguing on the size of modern iGates

I relaxed from the turbulent flight.

An actress at the background was operating a grill. What a scent! After burgers were consumed we went for a walk. What Bill calls "prone out on the runway" was actually a grass measurement.
This is an altitude of 1 inch AGL. Does it look like corn at Salmon Farm in August?

This is a good caliber.

Instead of scheduled 30 minute stop we stayed over 1 hour. Enjoyed tremendously.

Bill advised us on departure and up we go separate ways. Glen is flying home and I go to KFFA First Flight Airport. Need to burn all that gas I got for cheap at 12VA.

Circle of honor and couple extra beacons for his new iGate. Let the bumpiness begin... See you soon Hop Along!

KFFA

I got out of turbulence after 12,000' winds were pushing really good.

Glen won the race by whopping 2 kts as relayed via a datalink.

After a leg of 1 hour and a change.

Hi First Flight. Been a while...

How are you doing guys...

I just got here from Hop Along...

All right nice talking to you good job!

Walk around the hill

and out. Back to hand flying and APRS painting. Below is the work of 6.3 hours.

It was one of those great days of flying thank you Bill for the invite and thank you Glen for bringing your beautiful aircraft to such a picturesque place. See you on Big Fifty!

Last edited:
Dang Vlad, I have to make it to KFFA when I'm passing by next time. Never been but "Sassy" keeps dipping that way every time I wing by.

Photos look great. "Maybe I should have been a truck driver/photographer Mav." :D

Cool

Fly-ins and river float adventures with BBQ have been done many times at 12VA, and I believe will be again. My new bride, the Saucy Wench, seems very keen on the idea. -Stormy

Hey Bill......that sounds great....keep us posted!:cool:

FFA

Dang Vlad, I have to make it to KFFA when I'm passing by next time. Never been but "Sassy" keeps dipping that way every time I wing by.

Photos look great. "Maybe I should have been a truck driver/photographer Mav." :D

Gary......we should plan a Kittyhawk(FFA) meet followed by an Ocracoke(W95) lunch at Howards Pub:cool:

Lorri and I would be all in

for a trek to FFA and W95 if the timing was right. Overnight at Ocracoke would be great as well.

I'd like a tailwind like Vlad had, but the return trip would be a bit less fun.:rolleyes:

Back