What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 N417E Build Milestones

Thank you everyone for the nice comments.

Tom, I will be in Eugene somewhere around May 26th weather permitting. I can't believe I'm going to miss the race (Indy 500 and the new Grand Prix of Indy), but I must adhere to the painter's schedule.

I have flown the -12 four times now. The weather lately has been just great. I've solved the heavy wing by adjusting the trailing edge (either in or out). It is pretty hands off now.

I've also settled on a rudder wedge too. It is 7.5" long by 1.5" wide by .6" tall. I made a total of three wedges before settling on this size. Now I just need to permanently attach it.

Other than a minor fuel smell that I traced back to the fitting on the electric fuel pump (and fixed), there have been no issues. I just completed my time-to-climb exercise and four-way airspeed calibration run but haven't analyzed the data yet.

I did get a chance to check out the Nexrad radar image today as showers were approaching from the West. Also, the traffic display is way cool. Love that too.

Yep, I live on II87.

flighttest04.jpg

Don, although I've haven't seen your living room, I have been in Randy's hangar and you probably are correct. It is spotless with everything in its place.

The test flight phase is essentially complete. I just have a couple rate-of-climb tests to complete since I've been limited by ceilings the last few times.

All I've changed is to add a wedge to the rudder and fix a cowl rub on the #2 cylinder exhaust spring. All the performance numbers are slightly better than the book and the stall numbers are right on.

Not sure I have the prop tweaked exactly right just yet. I can't quite get it to 5500 RPM but its real close. Next step is to get the prop balanced and then fly it 2000 nm to get it painted.

The test flight phase is essentially complete. I just have a couple rate-of-climb tests to complete since I've been limited by ceilings the last few times.

All I've changed is to add a wedge to the rudder and fix a cowl rub on the #2 cylinder exhaust spring. All the performance numbers are slightly better than the book and the stall numbers are right on.

Not sure I have the prop tweaked exactly right just yet. I can't quite get it to 5500 RPM but its real close. Next step is to get the prop balanced and then fly it 2000 nm to get it painted.

Where are you going 2000nm to get it painted? That's a long long long way.

John Stahr in Eugene is putting his unique touch on it. The trip is partly to get it painted, and partly (mostly) to make it an adventure. Retirement has it's plusses.

I flew the final test flight this week, signed off the QAR, and popped it in the mail to Van's. It took me 9.2 hours to complete everything and re-test some of the changes I had made. She's ready to go West now.

The plan is to leave sometime after May 18th. You can follow along on Flightaware if so inclined. Look for N417E.

AirVenture 2014

Had a blast at Oshkosh this year. Met a ton of people from this forum, and enjoyed showing other RV-12 builders by project. I answered lots of questions about the -12 and thoroughly enjoyed meeting so many great people. Here's a picture of my favorite visitor.

Oshkosh01.jpg

I just realized that the one-year anniversary of the christening of my RV-12 just past. First flight was April 17, 2014. I thought it would be interesting to provide an recap of the first year. It sure was a busy one.
I put a little over 130 hours on the airframe and engine and had approximately 110 takeoffs and landings.:)

I replaced the following parts on the airplane: rear window, voltage regulator, fuel pressure sensor, Dynon engine module, landing light lens, left main inner tube, electrical fuel pump, fuel flow sensor, carb floats, and both wing walk pads.:mad:

I visited 23 different states during my travels: Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Wyoming:eek:

I was fortunate to receive a Workmanship Award at Oshkosh and my airplane was featured in a two-page article in Sport Aviation in November 2014. :eek:

I could go on with silly lists of stuff, but you get the point. I built it to fly and fly it has, from one ocean to the other. Of course, being retired affords me the freedom to do that. People often ask me for my impression of the -12 so here are a couple:
Love it. Period. It has exceeded my expectations and I simply love the airplane. Visibility is great, handling is great, capabilities are surprising, support is second to none.

I'm a little tepid on the Dynon. I've had my share of hardware problems. I love using it and find it a really easy piece of gear to use. I'm worried about its durability. Dynon support has been great. Good company.

I also am impressed with the Rotax. I had some concerns going in but the engine has been solid and the Service Bulletins livable. It is well engineered.

I wish I had more than 20 gallons of fuel. I may implement additional capacity at some point that can be installed in the passenger seat.​

I'm looking forward to another active flying season. I'm already planning a trip with my daughter to our family birthplace up in northern Wisconsin and Michigan. Then Airventure, then New England, etc. To steal a line from Rosie, "Keep pulling those rivets!"

main02.jpg

Randy, that is a beautiful plane as all of your builds have been. I have been "stalking" you since I began my F-1 some time ago. Many of us appreciate your willingness to share, answer questions, etc.

Now, would you build a -10 so I could follow along while I build mine!!

Keep enjoying it and reporting on your travels.

Wow, this really stopped me in my tracks. For the last 3 years I have maintained a file of awesome paint jobs for my fantasy -12. And there are some great ones flying today. Heck, even the 'average' ones are worthy of my aspirations. But this one? It sets a whole new standard. I have to start a new list, with one tail # on it.

And thanks for your impressions on the -12.

Could you please post more pics of the painted airplane? I would also love to hear any details about the type of paint, preparation? Base coat clear coat etc? The way the light reflects off it shows that it was very well constructed and prepared. Congratulations.

Thank you for the very, very kind words. I cannot take full credit for the paint job. John Stahr of Artistic Aviation was able to execute my vision for the airplane. The story can be found here. My other web sites are down right now, but I kept this one up awhile longer.

Way cool

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy ... And thanks for sharing your building tips on your blog. Awesome job.

Best,

Thomas

Back