What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Special holiday memories in the shop...a family that rivets together..

Skykingbob

Well Known Member
Although the holiday brought a lot of travel....there were some great times spent in the shop that made the Christmas bread fantastic.

Unknown to me, my wife bought a Vans Tool Box Kit that she wanted to make for our future son-in -law, David. It wasn't "honey can you make this for me?" It was something she wanted to do.....so we headed to the shop to make her gift to David.

She learned to deburr

compCIMG2052_zps5c755315.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And she learned to dimple

compCIMG2109_zps1ebb78db.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And to drill

compCIMG2065_zps73270456.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And to rivet

compCIMG2058_zps7f8ba98c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

compCIMG2064_zps2c93ac56.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And all about cleco's

compCIMG2067_zps0c92b381.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

She is skyprincess!

compCIMG2053_zps63c79599.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The completed gift

compCIMG2110_zps99ac8b2d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

compCIMG2117_zpse70a89e0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

More Christmas Shop Fun!

Next our son Brett and family came in from Oklahoma for the holiday. He really wanted to get some hands on building on the project. So while no one was looking we snuck down to the shop for some building. We build the rear seat for the -8 project.....what fun!!!

He also learned the dynamics of deburring

compCIMG2103_zpsc48a6f82.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Drilling

compCIMG2101_zpseb6da00e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

compCIMG2102_zpsa991e36d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And riveting

compCIMG2106_zps587bcf14.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Grandson Noah came down to find us....a good part holder

compCIMG2104_zps6ca243fd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Another part closer to first flight....thanks to Brett Skyduke

compCIMG2107_zpsef04dfe7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Fantastic memories to an Outstanding Christmas in Virginia!:D:D

Bob, your wife did a nice job on that toolbox! When I consider my practice project I made way back in '99, her work is about 10 X better than the beat up, bent up thing I made. Well done to Kathy!

Last edited:
Me too!

Bob, your wife did a nice job on that toolbox! When I consider my practice project I made way back in '99, her work is about 10 X better than the beat up, bent up thing I made. Well done to Kathy!

Hey Mark.....you should see my airfoil practice kit! I have taught Kathryn to shoot and rivet.....both are done better than me.....her building the tool box humbles me......but the accuracy of her shooting a handgun really worries me!!!:eek::D

Fantastic!

Absolutely fantastic that family gets in to the fun of building, or anything for that matter, always great to see family members doing things together.

Sewing

I told my wife that riveting was kind of like sewing. She said, "That's great! Now you can do some of my sewing." I was hoping it would go the other way. :eek:

P.S. She is very supportive of my aviation hobby, though. ;)

SkyKing, that's a great story. Just got back from a quick trip. Kathy looks right at home in the shop. I'll have to dig up the pics of Sandi working on our project. They can both share a laugh.

Hey, my wife was just starting to think Kathy was "normal". You, not so much, as you know. :D

Visit soon. We are home for the season (winter).

Back