What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Assistance with a Dynon Pitot/AOA probe

mvidalr

Well Known Member
Hello,

I have a question regarding my Dynon heated Pitot/AOA probe.
It caught my attention that the stagnation port (opening facing the wind) is not completely open (or otherwise round) all the way through the pressure hole or tube.

It raised my concern because it can somehow restrict the flow of air coming in from the outside, thus having different readings at different attitudes.

I was wondering if this is normal due to the integration of an AOA in the system, or do I have to get in touch with Dynon?

Can someone who has this same unit chime in?

The unit has always been in the box since shipping, so no damage (i.e. fall) has occurred.

Thanks

There is little to no "flow" in the pitot or AOA system. It is pretty much just pressure and the only flow is what flows in when the air starts to compress against the sensor and the tubing walls. Very little.

I doubt you will ever notice that misalignment in reality.

In the photo, it looks the end has a larger diameter for a short distance than the sense tube leading towards the instrument end of the pitot tube. If that's correct, it'll probably give you a more accurate reading at a broader range of angle of attack than a simple tube.

Dave

Back