What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Take-off / Landing at 53VG - a little 1900' grass strip

humptybump

Well Known Member
I finally captured a decent (not great) video clip taking off and landing at my little grass strip. The FAA signed off back in May and I had my RV-8 'home' within a week.

The grass is still filling in but it's pretty good. There is a small rise mid field. There are also trees off the approach end of RWY3 so energy management is in order.

http://vimeo.com/31002944

The camera is the Drift HD170. You will see there are definite RPM settings that exacerbates the rolling shutter. I need to make a note of exactly what they are so I can avoid them when shooting video. I mostly shoot stills with the Drift.

Very nice. Out of curiosity, what area of Virginia is the grass strip and how difficult was the permitting process?

I like your video set up. Can you talk me though where it is located and what you used? Pointing my driod out the wind screen is getting old. ;)

Very Cool!!!

Where do you keep the plane? Didn't look like there were any buildings at either end!!!!!

I live in an airpark and it is great. Having a private strip would even be better.

Congrats!!!!!

Some Answers

The hangar is about 800 feet to the south via a crooked taxi way :)

You can find 53VG in AirNav and most up-to-date databases and the current sectional. The challenge was my proximity to a public use airport. I'm with the 5 mile radius. That complicates things quite a bit. The effort will vary based on your local politics (lots of people get the opportunity to kill the deal).

The video was shot with the Drift HD170. The camera comes with a lot of mounting accessories. One I'd a flat plastic plate which can be screwed on the wingtip using the existing hardware. There are lots of posts here on VAF detailing the camera and mount.

I think Turbo still has me beat but I think it's only because he's got better marketing :)

There's always an extra space in the hangar for a transient. And spare room in the farmhouse for guests!

Nice strip

What a great place to come and go. Reminds me of Van's early strips except longer and more scenic.

Glen, the Jersey Boys will certainly come visit soon. Mow it nice and short, we fly -A models. :)

Glen, the Jersey Boys will certainly come visit soon. Mow it nice and short, we fly -A models. :)

"A" models welcome. Mowed to 2-1/4" :)

During Irene, a pair of Cherokees came in out of the storm to nest in the hangar.
http://thesalmonfarm.org/blog/p/2909

For anyone who comes in and decides they need something longer, KMFV is 2.7 miles and I'm happy to pop over and pick-up.

I do a mean breakfast and if it's warm enough, there's plenty of space on the long front porch ... otherwise, spillover into the hangar :)

Glen,
Vlad and I would like to take you up on your offer!! Let us know if early Sunday is acceptable. It is only an hour flight from me and I have to be home before noon. We have exhausted most of our "Free Breakfast" opportunities in our local area and we have to expand. :D:D

I was even thinking about bringing my co-pilot if you think it would be a good idea to meet your pug as well.
316986_2205570571887_1026082126_31935926_1796772222_n.jpg

Let us know.

Tony / Vlad,

Sorry to wrinkle you're plans; I'm away the next two weekends - headed across the bay to do some home improvement projects for my parents - I now get *their* honey-do lists ! :rolleyes:

After that, I'm here. ... oh, and copilots are always welcome :). This is a farm after all !

Hmmm, bad news indeed! I hope we can work something out in the near future, otherwise, we'll starve! :D

No one starves here !

We'll definitely sync up sooner than later. The weather has been "severe clear" this week. (wish I were flying).

Back