What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Unbelievable Photo!

ronschreck

Well Known Member
Dean Wingard has taken some great pictures of Team RV in action, but this one, taken at the Boshears Skyfest in Augusta, GA this past weekend beats them all. Thanks, Dean. You're the best! :)

Alpha flight (Kahuna, Widget, Smokey and Bones) is in fingertip formation, just pulling up for the fingertip to diamond barrel roll while Bravo flight (Stripes, Leggs, Dubes and Greese) in diamond formation are setting up for a pitch up. The first two aircraft in Charlie flight (Speedy and CB) are taking up the rear.

There are just two more performances in the 2011 Team RV schedule:
Greenwood Lakes (4N1), NJ, 22-23 October
Lumberton (KLBT), NC, 29 October

Hope to see more VAF pilots before we take our Winter break.

WOW! Great planes, great pilots, great sky, great photo! Hope you don't mind but I just made it my desktop photo :D

Awesome photo!

That is awesome! Looks like Papa Juliet at the bottom - must be if the pilot is "CB"!

I posted this photo to my Facebook page (credited). One of my sisters said "These are real airplanes?????"

I told her they are what I built and fly.

She put another message up "Whoa!"

Last edited:
Yes ... And your eyes may fool you

That is awesome! Looks like Papa Juliet at the bottom - must be if the pilot is "CB"!

That is indeed "PapaJuliette". There is another one of these photos where the Red/White of "PJ" and the Yellow of Greese's RV8 just go POW(!!) against the BLUE sky.

Also, the angles on photos like this sometimes causes some interesting "views". The spacing and formation is probably not what you think it is. :)

<There is plenty of space for safety between Alpha and Bravo/Charlie. >

But to make it look exciting for the crowd is what we work on. :)

And, there are two more ships (just out of the frame as B2 and B3 are shifted back one ship for this pass) ... Subob and RB.

James
aka "CB"

Great Photo

I'd love to have a large print on my office wall. Any chance of getting the original file or perhaps paying for a print of same?

Just an outstanding shot!

I'd love to have a large print on my office wall. Any chance of getting the original file or perhaps paying for a print of same?

Just an outstanding shot!

Dean has provided us the original hi res unedited version here.

Gives me the willies looking at it. Neat.

It's now my desktop background picture too. Truly awesome.. Greese in Bravo flight is (was) our leader - Cincinnati River Rats. Even though he defected to the confederate team, we are still proud of him. He's an excellent leader and an asset to Team RV.

Safe Spacint

Cool photo!

How far apart would they really be?

When we come in for the fingertip to diamond barrel roll Kahuna times off Stripes who is leading B/C large formation and we like to be about 1 to 2 seconds behind them and we start the roll so we roll up and over B/C smoke.

6258416443_9ccf3e06f7_b.jpg

We are always on a diverging trajectory and our track in the roll provides spacing for the roll out behind and crossing below B/C so we can set up for the final photo pass.

6258943186_94bcdf8629_b.jpg

It's quiet dramatic from the ground because of the way we space on each other. The photographers who captured the crossing shot were positioned so it looked like they were under the cross. The compression of the telephoto lens makes us look very close when in fact we were safely spaced.

6258943442_03eb8b740f_b.jpg

The photographers in this case were positioned on the oppposite side of the crowd in order to capture different views. The cool photo in question was taken from a position located...

On the first photo, if you extend the wing line of the large formation to the ground you can see that the photo would shoot through the large formation into the 4 ship. Thats what is giving the very cool perspective.

This short series of photos also shows how much overtake the 4 ship has over the larger formation. Large formation is in a g turn about 150kts right there. And the 4 ship is ~205KTAS to enter the barrel roll. Neat views.

Much like other professional teams, we position video and still around the show (and in the planes) for our debriefs. Makes for some great footage. We have countless hours of this stuff but is critical for us to see both still and video in order to properly debrief safety issues and improve the entertainment value of the program.

Thanks for the photo link

I'll see what I can do with it size wise. Going to look great on my office wall.

If I can ever time my weekends right I'll get to one of the shows and have the team autograph the surrounding mat.

Many thanks.

Ya just gotta see Team RV!

This past weekend was the first time I have had a chance to see Team RV in action and it was just stunning.

I've been going to airshows for a long time and this was the first act since Duane Cole in his T-craft or Paul P. did a slow ratchet roll in the Mustang at OSH to excite me.

Team RV, you each need to take a turn sitting on the ground watching what you do. The videos and pictures do not do it justice!

Yep

This past weekend was the first time I have had a chance to see Team RV in action and it was just stunning.

!

......what I've said all along. Team RV has a very big impression on pilots and that is not very easy to do!

Some think of me as very ballsy by what I do for a living, but Team RV takes that cake too. I don't have other airplanes around me with whirling scimitars!

Best,

Words cant express enough how much the team loves to hear from their RV brothers. When aviators watch the program and walk away with positive impressions and thoughts of maybe they could do that too, we have done it.

Go tell them how you feel. They are all not on VAF. But they are all flying for you.

Back