What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Florida DAR Found - My Project's an Aeroplane

GLPalinkas

Well Known Member
After a month of waiting I received an email from the FAA Tampa FSDO last week. They were going to be too busy to do my Airworthiness Inspection and suggested a DAR.

I called around (Thanks Sam James) and found a DAR located in Ft Pierce, Fl (across the state from Venice Airport). Great guy who understood my frustration and made room in his schedule for me this week.

Today my project turned into a genuine aeroplane.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make first flight until late next week (unexpected trip to Ohio)

Here is the proud papa (and yaya) with their baby and a brand new pink slip.

j7t2mv.jpg

Here is the DAR, Ray Howell of Ft Pierce
Excellent job communicating what was needed. Arrived early for inspection. Everything went smoothly. Ray is a very experienced DAR with many years in the certified aircraft industry as a MAR (I think he called it that ...a DAR for certified aircraft) He has also done the deed for many RV owners. Reasonable rate, not cheap but you get what you pay for.

riff3n.jpg

For those interested in getting Ray's contact info:

Ray Howell
rhowell (at) libertyaircraft (dot)com
772- Five Seven Nine -0908

Last edited:
gary, welcome to the flying rv family. nice to see another in florida.

dont forget every wednesday 8 am sebring for rv breakfast. 123.15 inbound.

see you in the pattern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfh-YJu3q8Y&feature=related

Congratulations, Gary! Looks like a really pretty plane, and we look forward to more pictures!

OT alert!
Ed,
Just watched your video of the Breakfast Flight. Very nice video with great editing and music mix (who doesn't like Bon Jovi?) Was it shot with that camera that your wife was holding in the one scene? Looks like a nice camera, albeit BIG!!
One last question...Are you ever NOT smiling?! LOL! Keep em' coming!

I am glad you got approved and finished, however I am angry that the people we pay our taxes to to do that job were "too busy". Ever hear of overtime? My brother is a FSDO, and I will be very noisy if the FSDO is "too busy" to do what they exist for.

Thank You

Tony, Mike, Mark and of course Turbo... Thanks for the compliments. I have made it to Sebring for breakfast a few times in the last month. I am lucky enough to have a good friend with a beautifully finished RV-6 (Dave Cook) and he has been letting me fly it to Sebring for transition training.

Don, the most frustrating part of dealing with the FAA Tampa FSDO is the "not knowing". After initial contact I was told 10 days and got excited. Then I didn't hear from them for almost a month. When I did it was "get a DAR". In all fairness, my inspector was out with an unexpected surgery and they have been extremely busy with other duties. Just a call or email to let me know that would have been nice. I'm not complaining because my DAR was super and it's done. However, the DAR fee could have bought a lot of Phase 1 fuel.....just saying.

More photos to come when I get her buttoned up and ready for first flight.

Congratulations, Gary!!

Boy, you start after me and you have the nerve to finish before me!!:( Oh, well, I'm not too far behind you.

Keep the updates coming! Once again, congratulations!

Congratulations Gary; let us know how she flies. Who did you talk to at the Tampa FSDO? Do you mind sending me their contact info? I have some paperwork to straighten out for my airplane.

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks again

Vlad, Paul and Captain Gary,

Thanks for the thoughts.

Paul, pm sent.

Vlad, AWESOME feeling - let me know when you get down this way again.

Gary "Boy, you start after me and you have the nerve to finish before me!! Oh, well, I'm not too far behind you. "
Well, you can't say I didn't give you enough time to catch me ....LOL. I still have that bottle of wine you gave me for good luck when you helped me uncrate in November 1997. Yeah, 14 years ago.

Congratulations!

14 years is a long time but that's often what it takes to "balance" your life...wife, children and so on. That and perseverance.

My tag line was 'borrowed' from a fellow EAA'er.

Best,

Ed,
Just watched your video of the Breakfast Flight. Very nice video with great editing and music mix (who doesn't like Bon Jovi?) Was it shot with that camera that your wife was holding in the one scene? Looks like a nice camera, albeit BIG!!
One last question...Are you ever NOT smiling?! LOL! Keep em' coming!

i think i was born with a big smile, or maybe it was the 60's lifestyle.

the videographer is my neighbor. sue is pretty good with that thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hqZC8Mlzsk

this is another video done by Danielle, a friends daughter. enjoy those rv's.

Another FL DAR

For those interested, Jay Kurtz out of Lakeland South is also a DAR, RV builder and really nice guy.
Hope to see you guys at a Wed. breakfast.
Woodman

Jay Kurtz

For those interested, Jay Kurtz out of Lakeland South is also a DAR, RV builder and really nice guy.
Hope to see you guys at a Wed. breakfast.
Woodman

Actually, Jay is no longer a DAR. I called him and then ran into him at a Weds. morning Sebring RV Breakfast. He said he no longer does DAR work. He can guide you thru the process but does not inspect any longer. I agree, really nice guy and very knowledgeable on the process.

PHOTOS

NOTE: I have not installed the intersection fairings and the pants/gear fairings are not finished and painted yet.

Here are some requested photos:

al6zpy.jpg

2rvxxg3.jpg

For those who wanted to know more about the lettering:

1hrr5x.jpg

2dc7lgi.jpg

2u89hcn.jpg

Disclaimer: I have not flown yet. They look terrific. Went on easy. Inexpensive (Approx $20 each) and you can see what you are getting on the site. www.doityourselflettering.com (no affiliation, just passing it along)

Back