What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Are These RV-10 QB Wings Worth?

What are they worth?

• $5000-$6000

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • $6001-$7000

Votes: 12 9.6%
  • $7001-$8000

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • $8001-$9000

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • $9001-$10000

Votes: 16 12.8%

• Total voters

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...help me decide what to ask for them (a poll)

This is a little different for the site. A friend (update: from dry New Mexico) delivered his ten year old (I think) standard kit built RV-10 wings that are a little past the QB stage with these instructions, "Get what you can get for them." I bought a car from the guy years ago (he gave me a good deal), so I'm returning the favor.

There is a dent in one of the ailerons. There is some rust on some of the steel parts. One of the end ribs has a tear in it and will need to be patched. I don't know if the tanks leak or not. They were stored in New Mexico and there is some sand in the nooks and crannies. Comes with the wing stand.

The mothership offers the standard wing kit for $11,450. You can order a QB RV-10 wing for an additional $6,325. There is a 10 week wait on RV-10 wing kits. So, if you wanted this new we're talking somewhere in the area of $17K. What's it worth? I dunno. Please vote what you think in the poll and what I'll probably do is look at the bell curve distribution in a week or so, then offer them for a price slightly left (cheaper) of the average.

Yours in thrift and helping friends,
dr

See the pictures in greater detail:
https://dougreeves.smugmug.com/Temp/RV10-wingsforsale/

PS: The two missing wing skins and other flap are still with the owner - he'll ship them to me or you (with pics).

IMG_2404-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Are these wings primed, and if so, what is the primer.

[ed. I can't tell that they are. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Value depends on quality of workmanship and condition of tanks...would never make an offer sight unseen.

It is hard to tell the condition without seeing them in person, but I would assume DR wouldn't be posting them if he thought there were major issues. There is a ton of work done there, even has the leading edge lights cut out. My concern would be the condition of the tanks, but worst case those can be re-worked, heck any of it can be reworked. Does it include the center section, or is that a concern anymore that they are match drilled?

Doug,

If the price is low enough, you will surely get offers "sight unseen." However, if the workmanship is good and corrosion minimal, I see no reason you couldn't get way more than $10K (which is the current high limit of your poll). You could potentially get the same or even a little more than the current QB cost from Vans, since you're saving the builder 10+ weeks.

Would be good to call Vans to ensure that the center section doesn't need to be "matched" to the wing spars in the potential 10 build that will come from these wings. My experience is that quality of workmanship (and attention to detail) is where the money is, if one wants to sell.

In the "RV-10 world," it seems there are far more "builders" who are open to spending money to reduce their build times, than for other Vans models. Most of those people have money, are coming from the certified world, and would rather write checks than pound rivets, if given the choice. Besides that, I've heard the QB kits can be hit or miss, regarding flaws in workmanship, so it's unreasonable to assume a QB is "perfect" and that a well built standard kit is somehow worth less. There are people willing to pay more to "get it today," so all you need to do is find them. My $0.02...

Good luck with the sale.

[ed. I know who has the center section and I am in the process of getting it. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
The center sections and wings on the -10 are universal - any wings should fit any center section. I had that discussion with Vans when I bought a second hand wing kit without the center section.

I second the universality. My wings were not matched to my center section and fit perfectly.

As a reference. About 10 years ago I paid the then legacy price for a set of QB wings that were untouched but sitting in a stand in a guys living room who was unable to get a hangar. Drove over to SoCal in a toyhauler RV and loaded them up.

I guess I?ll take the contrarian position here...

We all know what brand new QB wings cost, and if these were directly comparable, you might get close to that price. That said, brand new QB wings are clean, corrosion free and primed from the factory. Tanks are also pretty likely to be leak free but some have had leak issues in the past. Without inspecting in person, hard to say what all you might find but we know the following:
- steel parts have some rust. These are powder coated from the factory and the wings have been stored in New Mexico. How did they rust? I?ve seen an awful lot of RVs in worse climates than that without any rust on those steel parts.

- Dent in an aileron. Certainly not a show stopper, but not new quality either. If you?re building an RV-10, I suspect that you?re going to want to start out without dents...

- tear in a wing rib. Also not a show stopper, but not like it was new from the factory.

- sand/dirt in nooks and crannies. Makes me wonder again where/how these were stored and whether there?s any aluminum corrosion. We know that at some point there was enough moisture to produce some rust on powder coated steel parts. Did the sand/dirt absorb moisture in those nooks and crannies? If so, what happed to the ribs/skins/stiffeners in contact with it? Maybe nothing, but needs more investigation.

Yes, Doug is selling for somebody but that doesn?t mean he?s providing any guarantees on condition. He?s just trying to get as much as he can out of them. As always, buyer beware.

Back