What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Operation Boomer

petehowell

Well Known Member
I got the call from the Boxer Ladies last week that they needed to get a boy boxer from the Madison, WI area to a new family in Minne this weekend. The weather looked good and Bernie even offered to fly wing in his -7A!

We launched at 8am and took in the countryside - All the MOAs are cold, so we go direct!
Boomer%20Rescue%20011.jpg

Bernie kept me company.... Those dang 180HP birds are fast!
Boomer%20Rescue%20022.jpg

15 kt tailwinds got us there early - Turning final at Dodge County, WI
Boomer%20Rescue%20031.jpg

We landed, got a cookie, and met Boomer. Kim from the local shelter brought him to the plane.

You sure you can fly this thing? (Bernie Weiss Photo)
_DSC0044.jpg

We strapped in, and headed on back to Minne. (Bernie Weiss Photo)
_DSC0051.jpg

Boomer spent most of the flight in my lap!
Boomer%20Rescue%20039.jpg

What a great dog!
Boomer%20Rescue%20043.jpg

Wake me up when we land.....
Boomer%20Rescue%20064.jpg

*Everybody had a great day....
Boomer_and_Pete.jpg

*New Family!
Boomer_and_new_family.jpg

See all the pics here:

Hey guys, look into Pilots&Paws - it is great way to have fun and help some great animals.

* Note the last 2 pictures are not mine - they were taken by Cheryl of Minnesota Boxer Rescue

Last edited:
You da MAN!

Its great when you can use a vehicle, built in your garage to help defenseless animals. Kudos to your selfless efforts and to the organization for giving some of God's beautiful creatures a better life.

Pete you are just the KING!!! That is SO COOL!!!

We're going to have to come up with a new "Dog Box" mod to replace the passenger seat! (interchangeable from the -9A to the -7 and back of course!)

- PJ

Pete....you need a bigger shirt..

....to hold that great, big ol' oversized heart of yours!!

What a joy to read this so early,

Thanks,

nice post

Thanks for a nice post. Reminds me of when my daughter (then 7) and I flew the RV6 about 50 miles to pick up our new Cocker Spaniel puppy, now much a part of the family 3 years later.

P&P and APRS

Just a quick plug for the usefulness of APRS. I provided instructions to the Boxer rescue people on both ends on how to use APRS tracking on the web.

They watched us dropping breadcrumbs across the countryside and headed to the airport when we were close - took headwinds and tailwinds (and late departures) out of the equation.

I've posted on the P&P board about APRS and some of the guys are going to add it.

track.JPG

Pete, great post. I volunteer for Atlanta Boxer Rescue and have two Boxers of my own. Had 5 through the years. If everyone was familiar with these dogs, everyone would have one! Question-Do you give the dogs anything to calm them like Benadril? Also how do your restrain them? My brother and I are a couple of months away from finishing a 9A and maybe I can do this in Georgia.

David Estapa
Woodstock, GA
Kitfox 5 Flying
RV-9A almost done

Exercise, little food, and Benadryl

Hi Dave,

The pre-flight formula seems to be lots of exercise, very little food, and bit of Benadryl. If they are worn out, the benadryl seems to put them right out.

Crates usually won't fit in the RV, so we remove the pass seat and put a pad down. I tie the leash around the flap housing, but I'm not sure it would do much if he really wanted to get up and go.

You get a real good idea how the dog will do in the first minute once the engine starts. In my experience (3 trips now) they lay right down and go to sleep.

Good luck finishing your plane - maybe we can relay a dog or two to a new home.

Last edited:
Absolutely Awesome!

Pete,
You are the man! My wife and I love dogs like crazy. When we get our RV7 done we plan on taking our schnauzer with us. We are just hoping he can stand it. I am going to get him some Mutt Muffs. I plan on flying him around the patch for awhile before we go on a long cross country. Your stories of kindness are inspirational. God Bless You Pete for doing such great and kind deeds!

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT Reserved

Hi Dave,

The pre-flight formula seems to be lots of exercise, very little food, and bit of Benadryl. If they are worn out, the benadryl seems to put them right out.

What is the recommended dose of the Benadryl? Also, are you giving the dogs tablet or liquid Benadryl?

Benadryl

Hi Jake,

They usually have taken the meds before I get them. Probably best to call the vet to ask how much.

Back