What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Titan specific engine for VANS Aircraft

Jim Ball

The VANS community has many options other than the traditional engines that are offered by VANS. Continental Motors manufactures the Titan engines that have many beneficial features that increase durability and reduce weight. Continental has configured some of the Titan engines with that, dimensionally, are the same as the VANS standards. Information on those is found here;

www.continentalmotors.aero/titan/vans.aspx

The Titan engine can also be built with a variety of upgrades of both performance and modernization. The basic engines at the link are available at very competitive prices. We don't get a lot of traffic on that site so this post is to increase awareness. :)

Last edited:
If folks are on the fence, I'd happily give you a ride in my Titan IO-340 powered 9A. The 340 is a PHENOMENAL engine for the 9, I can't say enough good things about this.

^^not a paid advertisement, just a very happy customer!

Why no X340 or X370 on list

Jim,
Why don't you have the X340 or X370 on the pull down list on the Titan/Vans page?

I think you are doing yourself a disservice by not listing them as an option.

When my O320 powered RV4 was grounded with a cracked engine case, I looked for almost two months for a used replacement. Everything I found at the time was of questionable history (thus requiring a complete tear down/rebuild) or the asking price was near a new engine. I finally upgraded from the O320 to a New Titan O360. Everybody at Continental are great to work with and the pricing was very competitive. 100 hours and I'm a happy camper so far...

If folks are on the fence, I'd happily give you a ride in my Titan IO-340 powered 9A. The 340 is a PHENOMENAL engine for the 9, I can't say enough good things about this.

Exact same setup and very happy and everyone that has flown with me tends to comment how nice the engine flys, and looks. It is artwork for sure.

Hey Jim.

Just my 2 cents...So if I open that website I select my type of AC... RV7a

now it shows me a few 160HP versions... and ONE Carbed vertical 180HP.

So most people building an RV7 are going with Horizontal and FI... both not listed. I am sure you could accommodate it but I think it would help if you had them on the price list... I also agree with Rick about the higher HP versions 370etc...

Last edited:
The VANS community has many options other than the traditional engines that are offered by VANS. Continental Motors manufactures the Titan engines that have many beneficial features that increase durability and reduce weight. Continental has configured some of the Titan engines with that, dimensionally, are the same as the VANS standards. Information on those is found here;

www.continentalmotors.aero/titan/vans.aspx

The Titan engine can also be built with a variety of upgrades of both performance and modernization. The basic engines at the link are available at very competitive prices. We don't get a lot of traffic on that site so this post is to increase awareness. :)

Shout out to Jim B & Titan for great support on IO540 they built for my RV10. Very accomodating in configuring the exact system I wanted. We had a few bumps but the team worked to make everything right and that means a lot to me. I really liked the 3 hour runtime on their test stand, made me feel more confident in the break in process. Highly recommend these guys. (As an extra benefit, the are in great state of Alabama !!!ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!

Another question about your plane/config

[Been "offline" for some time due to "new" work requirements.]

What prop do you have?

Was your plane the one at the Continental booth last year for Airventure? If so, I was trying to catch you but failed.)

I have what may be the original 340 on a side-by-side (RV6), and converted from the original carburetor to AFP fuel injection (worked with Don to develop a kit that would work with the OLD RV6, O-320, "tight" cowl).
With this configuration, I have been trying to sort something out and would like to have a dialog (offline) with you and ANYONE who has fuel injected 340 with Whirlwind RV200.

Thanks for ANY reply!

[Been "offline" for some time due to "new" work requirements.]

What prop do you have?
Whirlwind GA-200L

Was your plane the one at the Continental booth last year for Airventure? If so, I was trying to catch you but failed.)

Yup, that was me.

I have what may be the original 340 on a side-by-side (RV6), and converted from the original carburetor to AFP fuel injection (worked with Don to develop a kit that would work with the OLD RV6, O-320, "tight" cowl).
With this configuration, I have been trying to sort something out and would like to have a dialog (offline) with you and ANYONE who has fuel injected 340 with Whirlwind RV200.

Happy to chat, find me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/buildflygo

My Titan at 2250 hours

I've just turned 2250 hours on the Titan O-320 on my -9A at 13+ years now. It really has been a good engine!

Oil change last night had clear screen and filter(just carbon chunks), the borescoped valves looked great, and all compression readings were 75 or above. She uses between 1/2 and 1 quart per 50 hours.(20W-50 XC)

We did have to replace an exhaust valve and guide at 1600 hours. That was about $300 to have it reworked locally. The engine shop said the cylinder looked almost new and keep flying!

I am watching her closely and will continue to try fly her wings off. Off to South Bend to see Mom tomorrow!

Last edited:
The VANS Standards on the Continental web site are just like the equivalent parallel valve, vertical induction Lycoming(R) engines that VANS sells on their web site and which we make parts for. They have standard steel barrels, and have some but not all of the extras that are available with Titan customized engines. There are simply too many variants of the Titan engines to list on the web site. Those options include stroked 340, 370 displacement increases, different fuel systems, horizontal and vertical induction, high and low compression pistons, NiC3 and steel barrel cylinders, different ignition systems, etc.
As you can see, the number of combinations goes exponential. It's better to talk one on one to configure the engine to the builder's specific requirements instead of trying to list all of the variants.

Yes the horizontal induction is an upgrade, we do not manufacture a "hot" horizontal induction, only cold air induction. The VANS standards are for equivalents which we can build using the parts that we manufacture.

Back