What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My recent TruTrak experience

tomcostanza

Well Known Member
I have often ranted about the desert of apathy when it comes to customer service. I recently purchased a used TruTrak autopilot from Wentworth. Wentworth gave me a 7 day return option, so I wanted it tested before that 7 days ran out. I had Wentworth send it to TruTrak to have it evaluated. I received it back from TruTrak about 2 weeks later with the following description of the work done.

Realigned hardware, updated to current specifications

Servo 1 -Replaced bushing, servo amp, opto board, large & small gears, spring assembly. Changed all hardware to stainless steel. Bench tested for .5 hours

Servo 2 - Replaced brass bushing, shear screw, servo arm, bench tested. All readings within specs.

My bill? $0.00 Not even the cost to ship it back to me. They said all warranties were transferrable. I said I had no reason to believe it was still in warranty. They said it was a lifetime warranty.

If you're on the fence about what autopilot to buy, this may help. These guys are an oasis in that desert of customer service apathy.

Clear skies,

And.....

....you can "trade up" to a more complex model and get FULL CREDIT for turning in the previous stuff! That's a pretty incredible deal as well....

I was just considering autopilots the other day and looking at trutrak pretty hard, this may seal the deal. Thanks for the report.

Same story here

A couple years ago I installed a TruTrak Digiflight IIVSG in my RV-8. I had a problem with interference on the roll servo and called TruTrak on a Saturday afternoon (planning to leave a message on the voicemail). Jim Y. answered the phone and actually fired up his CAD computer to investigate the problem. He helped me solve it and never once complained about bothering him on a Saturday afternoon.

A year or so later when I did an upgrade to the GNS-430 I managed to get one of the wires pinned wrong which made the autopilot not work correctly (imagine that). Another call to Trutrak (this time during working hours). They immediately suggested where to check and said they thought I had a wire crossed. I swore I didn't but offered to check anyway. Somehow, some unknown individual had snuck under my panel moments after I had run the wires and swapped two wires (it couldn't have been me). After correcting the problem the autopilot worked flawlessly.

These guys are terrific. My new plane (an RV-10) has a Trutrak autopilot.

Somehow, some unknown individual had snuck under my panel moments after I had run the wires and swapped two wires (it couldn't have been me). After correcting the problem the autopilot worked flawlessly.

This same "someone" seems to live in my hanger. I'm glad to see he gets around once in a while. :rolleyes:

My recent TruTrak experiance

These posts pretty much mirror my experience with trutrak. They sent me a new control head free even though I was well past warranty. If I were to purchace another autopilot the only decision would be which model trutrak to buy.

Not quite

....you can "trade up" to a more complex model and get FULL CREDIT for turning in the previous stuff! That's a pretty incredible deal as well....

Don't get me wrong Trutrak are awesome peple to deal with but just to set the record straight there is an "Upgrade fee" of 250 bucks ( I think)

When I asked about trading in my PP and ALtrak to the combined unit they said I would be charged the fee plus of course the cost of the more expensive head.

So one could argue you don't really get full credit.

FWIW

Frank

Hmmmmm

I certainly can't speak for Tru Trak Frank...maybe they have changed their policy, but I haven't run into the "upgrade fee" that you mentioned.

Paul

We do TruTrak upgrades almost every day(or certainly almost every week)....sold/installed more of them than anyone else and we've yet to ever charge anyone an "upgrade fee".

Perhaps you were confused by something else in the billing (perhaps the $250 was just the cost of the upgrade??)?

Don't know what happened to you on your upgrade...should have come to me :)

Cheers,
Stein

I have returned my ADI Pilot II in my RV-4 twice in the last 18 months for repair and received a brand new replacement each time for zip, nada, zero cost. Great autopilot from a great company.

Trutrak Upgrade

The $250 charge is correct just for one type of upgrade. If you have a Pictorial Pilot + Altrak and you are trying to upgrade to a ADI Pilot II you will encounter that $250 extra charge. It was no mistake. The retail cost of the Pictorial Pilot is $2145 for 3 1/8 or $2095 for the 2 1/4 size. The Altrak retails for $1695. The total trade in credit is $3840 for the 3 1/8 PP or $3790 for the 2 1/4 PP. The new ADI PII retail for $3995 that means that for the difference of $155 or $205 you are adding basically an ADI. An ADI retail for $1095.
I personally think that $405 or $455 for the upgrade is not a bad deal after all.

Best
Alex De Dominicis
www.AviationTechProducts.com

On the subject

of the truetrac. I have a Digiflight II w/gpss and would it be worth it to upgrade to the one with vertical climb option. Not sure if that is the correct term. I have a manual trim setup in the 7 and possible future install of a 430 garmin unit.

Trutrak Upgrade

I have a Digiflight II w/gpss and would it be worth it to upgrade to the one with vertical climb option. Not sure if that is the correct term. I have a manual trim setup in the 7 and possible future install of a 430 garmin unit.
I think you should wait untill you get the 430W. That way you can upgrade to the Digiflight DII VS GV and you will be able to fly the vertical portion of the GPS approach using the WAAS portion of your 430W.

Alex De Dominicis

I think you should wait untill you get the 430W. That way you can upgrade to the Digiflight DII VS GV and you will be able to fly the vertical portion of the GPS approach using the WAAS portion of your 430W.

Alex De Dominicis

And if you like toys, this is just about as cool as it gets. I get a real thrill out of just managing the throttle all the way down the GPS approach :).

Before I ordered my VSG model I talked to someone at TT who told me I could send it in for an upgrade when I get all set up and ready for GPS approach (if I ever do). That way I save $500 up front. The TT guy told me that I will most likely have to send it in for a software revision by the time I start flying anyhow. I liked the idea of keeping the $500 in my bank account.

I emailed a question to them before I bought and a rep. called me less than 5 minutes after I hit send. I was sold right there.

Last edited:
This 430W is not a upgrade, it is what I'm installing in my panel at startup. So should I "upgrade" to the VS?

Back