What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Throttle cable chafing against oil sump

mikelupo

Patron
Purchased an RV-10 on 16 Oct. During pre-buy we noticed that the throttle cable was chafing against the oil sump creating the possibility of catastrophic damage to one or both components.
Has anyone seen/remedied such?? I realize I will need a new cable as a part of the fix. I would be curious to see how you mounted and secured your cable?
Don’t know if it matters but my throttle control is the piper style quadrant.
I uploaded two photos.

Attachments

• 8C1FAFEA-C61B-4822-8879-B88528F19000.jpg
    8C1FAFEA-C61B-4822-8879-B88528F19000.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 144
  • A740C624-65A1-4E61-A9DC-2C171103CF2E.jpg
    A740C624-65A1-4E61-A9DC-2C171103CF2E.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 139
Had the same issue with my installation. I ordered a longer cable and if memory serves me right, bent the bracket to keep away form the sump. It is still close but it is not touching.

Each and every install is unique due to the various engine models and the accessories that we chose to install. Find a path that says clear.

Use a piece of string from a weed whacker or something similar. You’ll want it to be more rigid that a standard to string to measure the distance of your chosen route. Then you can order that appropriate length cable. It will must liking be different than yours.

You can use a pair of adel clamps to attach it to various places on the motor mount to kept it away from rubbing and or a heat source.

If this doesn’t make sense to you, please reach out to a local EAA Tech Counselor or A&P.

Thank you guys for your reply. Ok, seems I need to measure and then find the appropriate length cable for my application. I can either fashion a bracket or use adel clamps, or both. I've a well-stocked hangar of AN hardware and am an active member of EAA chapter 279.

Any advice on where to order cables from?

Thanks,
Mike

My prop cable had plenty of clearance, but the throttle and mixture cable were close enough to be a chafe risk. I used firesleeve or some spare silicone Vacuum hose around the portion of the cable the was near the pan. The silicone resists abrasion pretty well.

Larry

Thank you guys for your reply. Ok, seems I need to measure and then find the appropriate length cable for my application. I can either fashion a bracket or use adel clamps, or both. I've a well-stocked hangar of AN hardware and am an active member of EAA chapter 279.

Any advice on where to order cables from?

Thanks,
Mike

ACS or McFarland.

The original throttle cable recommended by Van’s was just too short. I suspect that is what you have. I think the one now listed is a little longer but don’t know for sure.

I used the 50.5” throttle cable listed for the RV-7 IO-360. I also added fire sleeve for all control cable runs. Eight years and all is well.

Carl

Back