What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Purchase Advice

Jradtke86

I'm New Here
Hello VAF,

I'm a B-52 pilot out of Shreveport, LA and long time RV fan looking to cross into the owner world. I first experienced the RV grin in 2011 with an orientation flight out of the Aurora factory with their RV-8A. I've wanted to build, but military life has prevented that kind of commitment (hopefully that changes in retirement). After years of lurking the VAF forums, visiting RV builders and saving... I'm now in a position to buy. I've narrowed my WTB to a RV-8 with at least 200HP, but the best price on what I've been searching for is in Europe. Does anyone have any experience purchasing from overseas? I'm not opposed to an aircraft from the US. Logistically I'd prefer it, but the prices are options are limited in the US (probably because they don't stayin the market long). Any advice or connections is appreciated. Looking forward to joining the community I've been envious for a decade!

Thanks,

-John

-Rolex (for the mil types in the crowd)

My advice - open your aperture to include the 180HP IO-360 and a standard Hartzell CS prop. Unless you are into time to climb competition I offer this is a superb combination (and what I used building an 8A and an 8).

Perhaps this will add more options to the US offerings. And, if you find one buy it fast.

Carl

Last edited:
RV-8

John,

My son and I (both ex-Air Force pilots) have owned three RVs (one RV-8/180 hp/FP, one RV-7/190 hp/CS and now a RV-8, 200 hp/CS. All are delightful.

We purchased the first RV-8 (180 hp, FP) out of Canada. It's a little more work going across the U.S./Canada border but it's doable. The Canadian airplanes are pretty much built and equipped just like those in the U.S.. We sold that airplane to a some guys in Germany. Not sure I'd be willing to go across the pond to get one. European regs required them to make several expensive changes (radios with different spacing for one) so, chances are good you'd have changes to make bringing one here. Pre-purchase inspection would be difficult. Shipping would be expensive and require disassembly and reassembly.

While we love our current 200 hp RV-8, we would have bought a 180 hp just as well if the right one had come around when we were looking. I agree completely with Carl.
Good luck on your search

Rob
74-07 Moody AFB

Attachments

• F0034EDC-4163-4DC0-B494-368DD0FFBB3D.jpeg
    F0034EDC-4163-4DC0-B494-368DD0FFBB3D.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 175
The best advice you can get on importing will be from EAA or AOPA or both... Probably no problem licensing an import as Experimental, Exhibition but maybe some hoops to jump through for Experimental, Amateur Built.

Ed

Imported from South Africa

John,

I recently imported my RV-7 from South Africa. Disassembled myself and reassembled myself with some help from the local EAA chapter. Professionally, I was also in the international shipping/trading game, so I know the drill pretty well. Let me know if you need advice / assistance. It could definitely be worth your while if the price difference justifies.

Regards,
Martin
206-586-3086

My advice - open your aperture to include the 180HP IO-360 and a standard Hartzell CS prop.

+1 on that. We all understandably have a desire for more power but those extra 20 horses add around 50 lbs up front which can affect how nimble it is. I'm an RV-6 driver so I can't speak directly about the -8 but I have flown light and heavy -6s, and you can definitely tell the difference in aerobatics and the like. And with the 180/CS combo these things still go like stink.

If I was looking, I would be looking for an airplane with the 180 HP parallel valve engine rather than the 200 hp angle valve. The cylinders and overhaul costs on the 180 hp engine are far lower and the 180 hp engines (anecdotally at least) seem to have fewer expensive problems. As Randall pointed out, the weight is a factor too.

Don't handcuff yourself

If you put overly restrictive criteria on options with regard to purchase of an RV8, you'll likely never find one.

First, 180 HP is plenty. You won't be disappointed.
Second, well, there is no second.

I'm planning to convert my O-360, 180HP RV8 to fuel injection and inverted oil. The RV8 wasn't exactly what I wanted when I purchased it, but I knew I could make it almost exactly what I originally desired.

The RV7 and RV8 market is very tight and prices are escalating. Don't accept poor workmanship, but almost everything else is surmountable.

If the right 180HP was avaliable I'd probably purchase the aircraft. I didn't want the thread hung up on that detail. As a matter of fact, there aren't many RV-8s on the market. Period.

Rob you're living my dream!

The workmanship is always a concern of mine, with homebuilds. I'll have to build trust in the person performing the purchase inspection.

I understand the tradeoffs in performance vs control... I fly a jet that doesn't usually have performance issues with 8 engines ;) The extra margin of performance is worth the trade off for vertical obstruction, high DA, formation, ect...

Plane is IFR. I'm patient enough to wait for VFR if required. More concerned with traveling the North Atlantic approaching winter with COVID travel restrictions than the actual flying.

I didn't think about the EAA and licensing help, let alone equip differences, thank you for that! Martin I'll text you with some questions once I gather some more info.

Feel free to keep chiming in or DM me. I've never owned before so I'll take any advice on hanger space, insurance, financing upgrades/mx, networking, ect

Thanks,

-John

One of my friends here in Alabama advises to buy the hangar/location you want that includes an airplane. ��

Training

While you are searching for that RV-8 that is right for you make friends with people with a -6, -7 or -14 and go fly. Getting familiar with RVs from inside the aircraft will help your buying decision. Side by side RVs will serve this purpose better than sitting in the back of a -4 (if you are a smaller person) or an -8 without all the controls available.

You might go as far as completing transition training ahead of time so you can ferry your new plane home yourself after you complete the purchase.

Best of luck! I looked closely at five flying RVs and paid for two prebuys before I found the right one or me. Learn how to spot good workmanship and complete documentation. Get it all up to date before finalizing the purchase. Sellers are motivated to get it right. Check ops limits for aerobatic testing and the right wording for IFR, “if equipped” and you’ll be flying an RV before you know it.

PM if you have questions, there’s a ton of Resourses out there, it’s just a matter of finding them.

Depending on where you plan to live getting a hangar might be the long pole in the tent. Some places have wait list that are years long. Get that little detail taken care of now.

Call about insurance too. You might be surprised with the cost. You’re heavy jet time doesn’t help a lot with a small plane with no or little experience. You can get RV8 training from Bruce Bohannon ([email protected]) in Houston area.

Just start looking

I looked for around a year before buying. I read lots of adds and called lots of sellers. It’s part of the learning process. I’m in the Northeast, but flew commercially to look at one in Montana, North Carolina and in Texas. You can’t be afraid to travel to see them and if necessary, walk away. I did pre-buys on all of them and learned a ton. Given the cost of the plane, the travel was short money, well spent and fun.

If you are buying, it’s unlikely you will find the perfect plane. The perfect plane is the one you build for yourself. Have a list of priorities and compromises. Other than going from a trike to conventional or fastback to standard, you can change most other things as you see fit (at a cost). Discount your price commensurately.

Insisting on 200hp may limit your selection. You can change/modify the engine later if you want. It’s more important to get a well build airframe, in my opinion.

Al, I agree on the transition training. I learned in tandem only in the AF and enjoyed flying from the back of the -8 (over the shoulder cross check, haha). If I have questions I'll definitely reach out, thanks!

Jeff, thanks for the advice on insurance. I've been looking at hangars, fortunately I have a few friends in the flying business.

Brian, concur on the traveling/pre-buy expenses... also, understand no perfect plane.

Thanks again all!

Last edited:
Back