What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 "Windrunner" and RV-7 "Windrider" in form

songbird

After retiring from Continental Airlines in 2008 I bought an RV-4 built in 1987 by Richard Smith (former Vans employee). After rebuild, new paint, new panel, and many other improvements I named her "WindRunner". She's great for formation and light acro, but not very good for going X-country with my wife. I wanted to build a RV-7 for longer trips with her. My daughter, Julie, designed the paint scheme which I really liked. After three years of building, it was time to paint the RV-7. I repeated the scheme. "WindRider" was born in 2014. We just finished a great trip to Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.

I finally got them in the air together with David Grover, a local Houston RV expert, to fly the RV-4 while I flew the RV-7. Julie took her camera in the photo C172 with Cary Brooks flying. I think the results were outstanding!

RV's are phenomenal airplanes. Being able to have these two machines is really rewarding. Not only are the planes great, but the RV community is also.

RV-7 "WindRider" cockpit

RV-4 "WindRunner" cockpit

Very nice, Rick!! All you need now is that Lone Star Squadron sticker on the vertical stab. ;)

RV-4 WindRunner Standing Proud

Rick,

Glad to see you got the posting pictures thing figured out!
I was however a little disappointed that you didn't include this photo of your RV-4... I know it's not a formation photo but it's one of my favorites and one I'm sure others will enjoy.

WindRider.jpg

Thank you again for ferrying me in 'WindRider' to Georgetown last week. Looks like Georgetown is a go for their Eagle's Nest Project.

Last edited:
Back