What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trailing Edge Wedge Protusion Question

LCampbell

Patron
I'm just finishing my ailerons on my RV-10, and so far they are tuning out great, however I have a question...

I know that the exact point of the trailing edge can have an effect on the control surface's behavior, but am not clear on what causes what.

I seem to have on both of them a thin bit of the wedge that sticks out a bit further than both the top and bottom skins the same amount. I know I didn't take that much off when deburring the skins, and besides, it's exactly consistent the entire length.

Would you:
1. Run a file along the protruding edge to even it up?
2. Know that paint will make it a non issue?
3. Be prepared for wild and bizarre roll sensitivity?
4. Ignore it, build on, and spend more brain cells contemplating deserts for the upcoming holiday?

Any thoughts welcome,
Thanks,
Lance

TE1.jpg

TE2.jpg

Wedge

I would ask Vans before removing material. I've seen some stuff on the 10 and 14 I thought looked odd but Vans designed it that way.
Seems like a sharp edge is preferable to a wide curve?

I filed all of my trailing edge wedge protrusions flush with the top and bottom skins. I think the control surface sensitivity comes mostly from the RV-6 type ailerons where there is a rounded trailing edge. This can result in unstable (oscillating from top and then bottom) vorticies. Many aerobatic planes have a really large square trailing edge to eliminate this, as does the RV-14 elevator. If in doubt, discuss with Vans.

Just me

I tried to eliminate this AEX edge sticking out, but the double flush rivet heads would then touch and come out poor. So I left the AEX wedge stick out like you have it. After the proseal dried for a week, I took a file and made a blunt edge by filing the AEX wedge down to the skin edge. Came out really nice.

The protruding amount of AEX wedge is designed in on purpose.

Scott, I am curious about the rationale for leaving the extrusion protruding?

I would be inclined to file it flat and square. This would create a small base to the trailing edge that has lower hinge moment than a sharp trailing edge, but a little higher drag. (lower hinge moment means lighter stick forces)

But the step shape of the trailing edge with the two skin steps to the sharp extrusion probably has similar drag to the squared off base, and I don't think it will provide any hinge moment reduction.

Back