What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VAF’er Forums (and appearances) at Airventure 2022

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Here’s a start at the annual thread to let everyone here know where and when they can hear the many VAF’ers who conduct forums/events at Airventure! There are many ways to spend your time in Oshkosh - these will at least (maybe) give you a chance to sit in a folding chair for 45 minutes…..

So here is where you can find Paul:

Monday - 1300 CDT - EAA Wearhouse - Book Signing
Monday - 1430 CDT - Homebuilders Hangar - Forum “Flight Test 101”
Monday - 1900 CDT - Theater in the Woods - Van’s 50th Celebration (Master of Ceremonies)

Tuesday - 1000 CDT - Forum Stage 6 - Forum “Lessons from Mission Control”

Wednesday - 0900 CDT - EAA Wearhouse - Book Signing
Wednesday - 1230 CDT - Pilot Proficiency Center - Flight Testing Safety Seminar “Inflight Emergencies”

Thursday - 1430 - Forum 7 - Forum “Shuttle, Houston”

Let's see who else is speaking; where, what about, and when!

I'll be presenting in the Pilot Proficiency Center, in breakout sessions, three times each on Monday and Friday afternoons. The topic is Base to Final: More Than Stall/Spin. Those presentations are part of the session Killer Procedures: Managing Risk in a Risky Environment. Attendance for the session includes training in Redbird simulators, but registration is required at https://www.eaa.org/airventure/features-and-attractions/special-attractions/pilot-proficiency-center

Wednesday morning at 10, I'll be giving the same presentation in the NAFI tent, near Theater in the Woods, behind Garmin.

There's lots of fascinating information that's not widely known...

Vic syracuse Airventure presentations

Mon July 25. 11:30 AM CDT. Maintenance for Amateur-Built Aircraft Homebuilders Hangar

Tuesday July 26 2:30 PM CDT Pre-Buys for Amateur-Built Aircraft
Homebuilders Hangar

Wednesday July 27 8:30 AM Maintenance for Amateur-Built Aircraft. Homebuilders Hangar

And for those not yet building, don't forget the Sheet Metal 101 workshops, 8:30 and 1:00 every day. Located in Building 12 in the green roofed Forums and Workshops Plaza.

For all you experienced buckers and riveters, we can always use a little help teaching new folks the nuances of sheet metal aircraft assembly. Volunteers needed...with a free lunch.

Rumor

Rumor has it the Vans tent will be standing room only in front of the RV 15. Get there early and come back often.

DIY RV8 HUD or 2nd Display

Epic Optix and myself will discuss the install and flight operations of my RV8 HUD. Epic Optix will brief why an Infinity Focused HUD is important and new pricing for their HUD & integration computer. I will discuss my RV8 EFIS integration, and flight operations using our DIY software + Raspberry PI computer that can integrate with G3x, Dynon Legacy, Dynon Skyview, MGL, uAvionix (echoUAT) & STRATUX ADSB (via WIFI). System can output to a HDMI/Analog Video HUD or 2nd HDMI Cockpit Display or both.

Wednesday July 27 2022
11:30 AM – 12:45 PM CDT
DIY RV-8 HUD or 2nd Display Screen
Homebuilders Hangar Supported by Aircraft Spruce & Specialty

Last edited:
I am presenting “The man who flew the Memphis Belle” the life story of Robert Morgan the pilot of the Memphis Belle in Europe and the B29 Dauntless Dottie in the Pacific theatre during WWII. Presentation is Tuesday morning at 8:30 to 9:45 in the Hilton Theatre at the museum. Not really related to Vans except that I fly a 6A. PS Museum is air conditioned, dry, and no air show noise so it will be a great venue for speakers.

John Morgan

Y'all need to hear & see John Speak, he has a dry Indiana sense of humor and always makes his presentations interesting. BTW be sure to congratulate him on his new responsibility as HBC co-chair. He has worked as a volunteer at Air Venture for over 6 years and always keeps things interesting...:D

Thanks John, see you in a couple of weeks...

Practically everyone will appear here:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=207275

No one will have anything really useful to say, but there will be beer.

IMG_20130729_184935_821.jpg

Van's Aircraft "Factory" Forums/Events Schedule:

Monday
  • All Day: Come see the RVs on AeroShell Square, where we will have customer RVs on display to kick off the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Van's. And, you can see these airplanes across from the Van's booth the rest of the week starting on Tuesday, as well.
  • 2:30pm: Air Show Opener - A big RV formation display to open the air show - Lots of RVers have invested a lot of time and money into participating in this - don't miss it! Plus Jerry "Jive" Kirby in his RV-8A!
  • 7:45pm: Theater in the Woods: 50 Years of Van's Aircraft - Paul Dye emcees an interview with Van and others

Tuesday
  • 8:30am: (Forum Stage 7) What's New at Van's Aircraft - Ummm ... use your imagination. ;)
  • 11:30am: (Forum Stage 6) Panel - Designing and Constructing a New Model Van's RV (yes, we mean the prototype for that airplane)
  • 4-5:00pm (approx): All the RV pilots we can muster for a group photo at the static display of RVs across from the Van's booth (exact time TBD - watch our social media and email list)
  • 6:00pm: Van's Banquet - and sorry, this event sold out ridiculously quickly! We tried to find a larger venue, but was not possible.

Wednesday
  • 9:00am: (Forum Stage 5) RV Builder Tips and Tricks - Our prototype shop crew shares some of the things they have learned and developed over the years, and they'll take your questions, as well.

Thursday
  • 11:30am: (Forum Stage 8) 50 Years of Van's Aircraft - join Van as he talks about the company and the airplanes and how they have evolved over the last half-century.

Friday
  • 1:00pm: (Forum Stage 5) Which RV is Right for Me? - For folks new to the RV line and kit building, a basics session about selecting the RV model that best fits your mission and builder style.

Last edited:
FlyONSPEED Team at Oshkosh 22

The FlyONSPEED team is happy to be supporting this year's "One Week Wonder," and we'll have a small AOA/Energy Management display in the tent with the Sonex build. There will be a simulator and resources for folks that want to learn more about angle of attack. Assuming we can round up sufficient bodies, we'll plan to be at the display in the morning each day to answer any questions or just talk energy management/aircraft handling. We'll be installing hardware in the Sonex Thursday-Saturday.

We are participating in the panel discussion "Optimizing the Impossible Turnback" at 0815 Monday in Forum 9.

Tron and Chris are presenting an update to the HUD project on Wednesday at 1130 in the Homebuilder's Hangar.

We'll be conducting a forum on Performance Based AOA Cuing and the McDonnell logic we use in the ONSPEED system on Friday at 1000 in Workshop Classroom A.

Not AOA related but in keeping with our LOC mishap prevention mission, Terry is conducting a brief on Protected Flight Controls on Friday at 1130 in Forum 8.

Most of us will be around all week. Drop an email to [email protected], text or call (850) 974-4472. Happy to meet up to discuss AOA/HUD/EM or just share a beer.

Cheers,

Vac

https://youtu.be/r8XcXDHLIIM

Book Signing

I'll be signing my book "Hogs in the Sand" at the following dates/times/places at AirVenture:

Monday 7/25: 2-3 PM, EAA Wearhouse Authors' Corner
Tuesday 7/26: 9-10 AM, EAA Wearhouse Authors' Corner
Tuesday, 7/26: 11 AM - 12 PM, Embry-Riddle Pavilion
Wednesday 7/27: 11 AM - 12 PM, Embry Riddle Pavilion
Wednesday 7/27: 3-4 PM, EAA Wearhouse Authors' Corner

The book will always be for sale in the EAA Wearhouse. (A limited number of copies will be for sale at the ERAU Pavilion.)

"Every air war produces one truly memorable book. Buck Wyndham's is the one for Desert Storm. [His] war was up close and personal, and he writes with a passion and clarity that will long remain with his readers. This is a book that takes its place besides such classics as Johnny Johnson's Wing Leader and Jack Broughton's Thud Ridge--a classic not to be missed."
--Dr. Richard P. Hallion, The Air Force Historian, 1992-2002

HITS-400x600-BestSeller.jpg

Last edited:
Tango Flight and Airbus will be doing a few joint presentations on a new education initiative. Still getting dates/times confirmed (I think Wednesday and Saturday) I'll verify and post.

-Dan

Now that's a surprise!

Submitted a forum idea to EAA and thought that it had been rejected. Nope, it's on! So now I'm trying to remember all those great ideas I had six months ago...

Van's Aircraft "Factory" Forums/Events Schedule:

Monday
  • All Day: Come see the RVs on AeroShell Square, where we will have customer RVs on display to kick off the celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Van's. And, you can see these airplanes across from the Van's booth the rest of the week starting on Tuesday, as well.
  • 2:30pm: Air Show Opener - A big RV formation display to open the air show - Lots of RVers have invested a lot of time and money into participating in this - don't miss it! Plus Jerry "Jive" Kirby in his RV-8A!
  • 7:45pm: Theater in the Woods: 50 Years of Van's Aircraft - Paul Dye emcees an interview with Van and others

Tuesday
  • 8:30am: (Forum Stage 7) What's New at Van's Aircraft - Ummm ... use your imagination. ;)
  • 11:30am: (Forum Stage 6) Panel - Designing and Constructing a New Model Van's RV (yes, we mean the prototype for that airplane)
  • 4-5:00pm (approx): All the RV pilots we can muster for a group photo at the static display of RVs across from the Van's booth (exact time TBD - watch our social media and email list)
  • 6:00pm: Van's Banquet - and sorry, this event sold out ridiculously quickly! We tried to find a larger venue, but was not possible.

Wednesday
  • 9:00am: (Forum Stage 5) RV Builder Tips and Tricks - Our prototype shop crew shares some of the things they have learned and developed over the years, and they'll take your questions, as well.

Thursday
  • 11:30am: (Forum Stage 8) 50 Years of Van's Aircraft - join Van as he talks about the company and the airplanes and how they have evolved over the last half-century.

Friday
  • 1:00pm: (Forum Stage 5) Which RV is Right for Me? - For folks new to the RV line and kit building, a basics session about selecting the RV model that best fits your mission and builder style.

You can watch Paul 7:45 Monday.
Live feed
Webcam page
Theater in the woods tab

Some of the forums will also be up.

Boomer

I am presenting “The man who flew the Memphis Belle” the life story of Robert Morgan the pilot of the Memphis Belle in Europe and the B29 Dauntless Dottie in the Pacific theatre during WWII. Presentation is Tuesday morning at 8:30 to 9:45 in the Hilton Theatre at the museum. Not really related to Vans except that I fly a 6A. PS Museum is air conditioned, dry, and no air show noise so it will be a great venue for speakers.

Guessing there's a relationship Col Morgan?

I wish I was there so I could attend your presentation. I bought a copy of his book form him at Sun n Fun just before his fall. It was an honor for me. Still have his signed copy on my shelf!

I hope your presentation is well attended and goes well!

Back