What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 N417E Build Milestones

Arlington, TX?

So Randy, have you ever had the desire to visit the beautiful city of Arlington, Texas? I know of a guy that would LOVE to have his canopy turn out like that! :D

Wow, now THAT is impressive!

Great work!

Thanks guys.

Once it starts to get cold up here, Texas sounds much nicer! I might be coerced with the right incentives. :D

Very nice work and informative photos Randy. I've done my fairing using more or less the same method and have been wondering about the best way to glue it to the canopy. It looks like you painted the outside of the canopy, which means the proseal would be sticking to the paint rather than the plastic. Or is the paint on the inside?

The canopy is painted on the outside. It was sanded first to roughen the surface. Basically, the proseal around the plexi provides a water seal. It is really held on along the sides. I have no worries that the fairing is EVER coming off that canopy.

11-12-13 Finish Kit Completed

finish55.jpg
finish57.jpg

Final step for me was sealing up the rear window. I over-drilled each attach hole and used a rubber bushing to protect the window from cracking. This technique is discussed in another thread regarding the installation of the rear window.

finish59.jpg
finish60.jpg

I loosened up every screws and used shims to hold the window off the aluminum. I then used a syringe to inject fuel tank sealant progressively around the window. I slightly tightened the screws and wiped off the excess.

Additional pictures can be found here.

Now, I am waiting for the avionics kit to arrive.

Randy, the oversize hole and bushing look to be about the same diameter as the head of the screw. How much grip has the screw/nut got on the window?

The head is bigger, but that's not really what holds the window in place. The bushing expands as the screw is inserted. On the sides, I used some slightly oversized washers on the inside of the window that expands the contact area. With the fuel tank sealant all the way around the perimeter of the window, I can probably remove all the screws and the window wouldn't budge an inch.

11-27-13 Instrument Kit Installed

instrument17.jpg
instrument14.jpg

Finished up the installation of the instrument kit in 9 days beginning to end. This kit included the new Garmin GTR200, ADS/B, and autopilot servos.

Next step is the engine. Shooting for a March 2014 first flight.

Pictures of instrument install can be found here.

12-05-13 Interior Finished

finish79.jpg
finish81.jpg

Finished up the installation of the interior. I will be installing custom side panels after my initial flight test hours are flown off.

finish82.jpg
finish83.jpg

Details can be found here.

12-25-13 Side Panels

I finished making some custom side panels for the interior.

finish94.jpg
finish101.jpg

First, I made two molds of the inside of the cockpit.

finish103.jpg
finish104.jpg

I laid up two plys of 9 oz. cloth and fit them to the interior. These will be covered in two colors of leather. I'm waiting for the painter to finalize my logo so I can finish the embroidery, then I can apply the leather and permanently attach these panels to the side of the cockpit.

Details can be found here.

Is this with the new radio that is incorporating the intercom function? If so I would have thought that Vans would have sent you a revised left side panel that did not have the intercom holes. You could cover that with a plaque with the N Number, had mine made at a trophy shop but put it above the ignition switches.

finish106.jpg

Yes, they sent me a new panel but I already had the old panel fit and painted and I didn't want to mess with the new one. I have already installed a N-number panel from Front Panel Express over the intercom holes.

Last edited:
01-23-14 Fuel Tank SB Completed

While waiting for my engine kit to arrive, I completed the recent fuel tank service bulletin. For me it's an extra pain because my tank is both painted and polished. That meant re-doing both once the SB was done.

fueltank02.jpg

While I had the tank out, I calibrated it and marked the side of the tank. I'm not sure what others have done in this regard, but this is how I did it.

fueltank05.jpg

UPDATE: These markings are not accurate. I had a new placard made up and installed. I'll update this picture soon.

Last edited:
02-22-2014

I was able to get the engine mounted before going back to the hospital for the fifth time in less than 2 years as my battle with cancer continues. First, I had to wait two months for the kit to arrive so that blows my schedule to complete the airplane in 12 months. Oh well, next objective is AirVenture this year. That should be doable.

engine07.jpg
engine10.jpg

Last edited:
03-19-14 Construction Finished

engine30.jpg

All of the assembly has been completed. I'm busy configuring the EFIS and getting ready for weight and balance and first engine start.

Thanks guys. I finished up the weight and balance today. With all the options (wheel pants, lights, ADS/B, leather, autopilot) it came in at 754 lbs. with an empty ARM of 80.47.

Engine start this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Last edited:
Nice job, Randy. I look forward to the report on your first flight. I didn't know about the cancer battle. Hang in there. You are an inspiration to us.

04-01-14 Engine Start and Taxi Tests

flighttest01.jpg

Completed the initial start of the engine. Complied with all the ROTAX SB's and SI's for purging the system, fuel, etc. No major problems found. Run up was normal.

flighttest04.jpg

Went out late this afternoon to complete some taxi tests, break in the brake pads, configure the magnetometer, etc. I can't believe the visibility in this thing.

Right now, I'm waiting for the FAA to come by for the airworthiness inspection.

Looks like a show winner! Wait until you are airborne in the plane.....my first impression flying in a -12 was really wild. It gives you the a sensation that there is no canopy or wing (unreal visibility). You can see, unobstructed, for miles and miles and miles. Looks very nice, Randy!

Beautiful

Randy, she's beautiful even without the paint. The first thing I thought when I saw the photos was "I wonder why he's not wearing a cap!" :)

Congrats on the progress

She will be airborne soon! Enjoy your craftsmanship and continue to post your progress.

After reading your post I need to put my 12 on a diet her numbers were 786 with a empty arm 81.460 :D

RV12

Way to go Randy! You never cease to amaze me! I guess I need to start thinking about a RV12 for my next project.

RV6bldr

Randy, given your impressive history of completed aircraft I'm curious how long it took you to bang...correction...squeeze out this 12? :)

Randy, given your impressive history of completed aircraft I'm curious how long it took you to bang...correction...squeeze out this 12? :)

Twelve elapsed months with four months in there of waiting and "other" stuff. Eight actual months of building. (I'm retired and the wife is still working so that makes a big difference.) Nothing goes together as easily as this kit. It is amazing.

Last edited:
Randy
Superb, meticulous build, and such helpful documentation of the build process.
You are an inspiration.
One slightly personal question, how tall are you? I notice your head seems close to the canopy.
John

Last edited:
Randy
Superb, meticulous build, and such helpful documentation of the build process.
You are an imspiration.
One slightly personal question, how tall are you? I notice your head seems close to the canopy.
John

Thank you for the nice comments.

I'm 5'10" but I have the extra cushion installed under the seat bottom. That's an extra 3 or 4 inches. I like to sit as high as I can without hitting the canopy. I also use HALO headsets.

What are you going to build next?

Okay, my question is what are you going to build next. I know you need to have a project going so you don't get bored.

Okay, my question is what are you going to build next. I know you need to have a project going so you don't get bored.

Not sure. I'd like to enjoy the -12 before health issues start to dominate my life. This is likely my last aviation project though. I'm thinking of doing a resto-mod on a late 40's or 50's pickup truck.

04-14-14 Airworthiness Certificate Issued

Today, my airplane parts officially became an airplane. The inspection was this morning and was performed by the Indy FSDO. Great guys there. No issues noted and it took about an hour to check all the papers. Very thorough job of verifying all the documentation.

First flight to be made by local legend Jim Winings "Sodbuster" as soon as we get a break in the weather. It's looking like Thursday may work. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
04-17-14 - First Flight

N417E became airborne this morning. Jim Winings did the honors. This was his 14th first flight and he has now completed a first flight in all of Van's designs except the -14.

The wind kind of kicked up so I will wait until tomorrow morning to make my jaunt. I've waited 6 years, one more day won't hurt.

Everything worked great. Heavy left wing and right rudder tab needed. Otherwise, she flew great.

Last edited:
Randy
Fantastic. What agreat feeling.
You have such a beautiful aircraft, and it is a credit to you.
I am sure you will you enjoy the coming personal first flight.
John

Made my first flight this morning. What a great, great airplane. Easy to fly and land, great visibility, comfortable, and fun. It is everything I hoped it would be. Could not be happier. Thank you Vans.

I do have a significantly heavy left wing. I've squeezed the right flaperon, but I think I'm going to have to blunt the left one some. Let go of the stick and it immediately enters a steep turn. I need to work on that one.

Wow is all I can say right now.

What do the words of a wise pilot sound like?
"The wind kind of kicked up so I will wait until tomorrow morning to make my jaunt. I've waited 6 years, one more day won't hurt."
Impressive because you have to be chomping at the bit!

Another Randy-machine

Congratulations, Randy!
I'm sure this latest RV from your hands reflects your amazing "handiwork." :)
You are an inspiration to us. I hope to meet you someday.
We do need some pictures. ;)

I do have a significantly heavy left wing. I've squeezed the right flaperon, but I think I'm going to have to blunt the left one some. Let go of the stick and it immediately enters a steep turn. I need to work on that one.

It might pay to check the position of the flaperon bearings. They might need some adjustment if the out of balance is that significant and you've already squeezed the trailing edge.

Last edited:
Randy,
When I flew in a -12, I had the utmost sensation that the canopy wasn't even there! The visibility was simply incredible! I'm sure you sensed this too?

HUGE congrats!!

Back