What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Palo Alto - Looking for 1" and 1.5" dimple dies

agent4573

Well Known Member
Making a bracket that could really use the extra support in the lightening holes of being dimpled. Anyone have access to a 1" and 1.5" dimple die set? It would need to be the through bolt kind, or if its solid I would also need to borrow your 20 ton press. Can travel with the bracket to Palo Alto, San Carlos, Reid Hillview, or as far as Livermore. Will only take me 10 minutes to press the holes.

Reference link: https://www.amazon.com/Piece-Dimple-Die-Set-Dzus/dp/B0785PY1H2/

I don't have any but would be willing to make a set for a reasonable fee. I have been doing more free lance machining in retirement.

Larry

In one of his articles on homebuilding, Tony Bingelis showed how to make grommets for firewall passthroughs using sockets. His technique might work for what you are trying to do.

Here's a link to the article on the EAA website: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bu...irewalls/how-to-make-firewall-grommet-shields

Good luck, Ken

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a shot on some scrap and see if the results on a thicker piece of aluminum are acceptable.

LR172,
I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll pass for now. These are easily available on amazon, I only need them for 2 holes right now so I was hoping to avoid purchasing. I also don't have the room for the required press, which is the actual limiting piece of the puzzle right now.

LR172,
I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll pass for now. These are easily available on amazon, I only need them for 2 holes right now so I was hoping to avoid purchasing. I also don't have the room for the required press, which is the actual limiting piece of the puzzle right now.

NP. I can make them for use with through bolts, so you don't need a press. I saw that the amazon ones require a press and hence the reason for the offer. A through bolt should work fine for aluminum, but probably inadequate for steel.

Larry

NP. I can make them for use with through bolts, so you don't need a press. I saw that the amazon ones require a press and hence the reason for the offer. A through bolt should work fine for aluminum, but probably inadequate for steel.

Larry

Cool. PM me a quote for a 1" and 1.5" version with a through bolt. Thanks.

Back