View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
The majority of states have no rules requiring insurance for airplanes; some do, but the required coverage is usually ludicrously low. More common is for airports to require liability coverage from their tenants; but this is not to protect tenants, it’s because the airport wants itself to be a named insured. They want to be sure that they’re covered for anything a tenant might do.
Yes. Only 11 states have some kind of insurance or proof-of-financial responsibility laws. Minnesota is the only state that requires nearly all general aviation owners to have liability insurance. The minimum amount required is $100,000 per passenger seat liability for passenger bodily injury or death and for property damage; $100,000 for bodily injury or death to each non-passenger in any one accident; and $300,000 per occurrence for bodily injury or death to non-passengers in any one accident.

Otherwise,
Quote:
Hawaii, Maryland, Oregon, and Rhode Island require general aviation aircraft owners and operators to have liability insurance if they either hangar their aircraft at a state-owned airport or operate their aircraft for commercial purposes (leasing or renting out aircraft, for example).

California, Connecticut, Indiana, Massachusetts, and Virginia general aviation aircraft owners and operators are required to demonstrate aircraft financial responsibility by showing differing combinations of liability insurance, a bond, deposits of money or securities, or a letter of credit.

North Dakota has an aircraft financial responsibility requirement, but does not specify how civilian aviation pilots, owners and operators should demonstrate financial responsibility to the state.
Honestly, I didn't realize liability insurance was a requirement here, but it really didnt matter...I could see me flying without hull insurance, but certainly not without liability insurance.