What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

O-360 Engine question

I have come across a Lycoming O-360 Engine that was manufactured 20 years ago but has never been run. Engine still has original desiccant plugs and storage oil in it. My question is what risk is there and what should be done to get the engine ready to run.

That is a long time

I have come across a Lycoming O-360 Engine that was manufactured 20 years ago but has never been run. Engine still has original desiccant plugs and storage oil in it. My question is what risk is there and what should be done to get the engine ready to run.

What part of the country is this engine located? Has it been there the entire time? Has the current owner had the engine this entire time? Even storage oil won't protect a camshaft for 20 years, unless it was replaced every few years and the engine rotated to allow the oil to cover all the internal parts. Odds of that being done are extremely low.
Best to bore scope the cylinders and pull a cylinder [if owner will allow it] to inspect the cam and lifters for rust.

Charlie

For the right price, buy it!

I bought my first engine (O-290d2) that was overhauled in 1959 and put in storage. It has spent its time since overhaul in a garage in Louisiana.

My thinking was that when I opened it up, if it was rusted on the inside, I would sell what parts I could and recoup my money, probably even make some.

As it turned out, it was spotless on the inside. So, I replaced the O-rings, intake gaskets, hoses, etc. and flew it until a prop strike killed it.

Good luck!

I'd also buy it for the right price, if it was stored in a low humidity environment It should be good. If you buy it at a core price I'd say it's worth taking the risk, not much to lose knowing you may have to pay for an overhaul.

I bought a similar engine, rebuilt, pickled and sat for 20 years.

Pulled the jugs, all looked good inside.

Luck of the draw ???

See if the owner will let you pull a cyl and peek inside before making a deal.

I bought a similar engine, rebuilt, pickled and sat for 20 years.

Pulled the jugs, all looked good inside. New O rings, gaskets and push rod seals and good to go.

Luck of the draw ???

See if the owner will let you pull a cyl and peek inside before making a deal.

Looking at the O-360 variants, I'd be sure which mount the crankcase is machined for. Dynofocal is the default for Vans.

O-360-C1A

180 hp (134 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 91/96 avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the A1A except that it has its crankcase machined for conical rubber mount bushings in place of dynafocal mountings.[1][2]
O-360-C1C
180 hp (134 kW) at 2700 rpm, Minimum fuel grade 91/96 avgas, compression ratio 8.50:1. Same as the C1A except with Bendix 200 series magnetos.

Back