What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Sender Float Arm Rotates in Cradle

s24789

Well Known Member
Patron
I configured the float and arm for my Stewart Warner senders. When I placed the arm in the "cradle" it did not want to come loose but could rotate freely. Anyone have a suggestion to keel the float arm from rotating in the sender cradle ?
Thanks in Advance
S24789

Check instructions that came with sender...

it says to bend approx .65" 90 degree on end to insert in hole. Deburr end first. I hope this helps. If already cut it may be too short.

It doesn't help either of us, but I'm relieved to see that I was not the only one cutting it too short before realizing it should go *into* the hole :/ now looking for the replacement float wire, which seems to be PN 836092.

My sending unit was leaking so I just changed one in my RV 4 and made the same mistake. I replicated the bends otherwise from the previous float arm and now I'm out of fuel when it shows an 1/8 of a tank remaining. I'm not happy with the result and it means pulling the tank this winter and changing the arm.

Even with my best reading glasses on and good lighting the picture and instructions were not very clear. I'm still surprised at the result. Mistakes like this that I make only confirms the fact that I'm happy buying a plane that someone else built and not doing the building myself.

Tim

Many, many....many folks have made the mistake of missing that little bend on the end. It's on the drawings, but you have to look for it. To be honest, RV builders are pretty spoiled when it comes to detailed parts drawings - we hardly have to ever look at them ( unless you're building a -3 that is...). We have to most of the fabrication of parts on the brand "S" we're working on, and spend a great deal of time decoding parts drawings in advance of cutting material - it's east to build flanges backwards, and you can guess how I know!

Paul

Changing sending units

I believe both of my units may have this problem. I've seen posts that say you can change them out from the wing root w/o pulling the tanks. But can you really? BTW, I'm referencing an RV-6

I believe both of my units may have this problem. I've seen posts that say you can change them out from the wing root w/o pulling the tanks. But can you really? BTW, I'm referencing an RV-6

Not quite as easy as on later model RV that has more clearance - but yes, you can get the sender out of the hole without pulling the tanks. How easy it is depends on what theories the builder subscribed to regarding screw heads, gaskets, and sealant.

Back