What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Motopod -- Build Logs?

Well Known Member
As I'm progressing with my -10 build (on paper and while putting the finishing touches on the workshop), I'm tallying up mods, options, and add-ons that I want to do from the start.

I have read a bunch of threads mentioning the Motopod underslung cargo pod, and am giving serious consideration to installing the hardpoints during the build. However, of the VAFers who have installed them, I haven't been able to find too many build logs online that detail the installation. I'm intersted in understanding the cost in terms of money and time necessary to install the hard points. Can anyone lend some help in terms of links to build logs or pictures/descriptions of your installation? I have contacted David at Motopod to determine cost (haven't given him much time to make a return call), but would like to hear from others who have installed the hard points.

I've done it, and I'll go back and see if I took any pics as by that time I had basically stopped taking lots of photos of the build. The hard point kit was about $300, but that was a few years ago. If you have not completed Section 25, it will be relatively easy as you have to drill out some the rivets in the Center Section bulkheads to attach the 2 forward hard points. The rear hard points get installed between rear seat ribs and are pretty easy to do even if you have the rear seat floors installed (which I did). When I installed mine, I was already past Section 33 (Baggage Area) but did not have the rear floor pans installed yet (thank God). Even then, getting those center section bulkhead rivets out was a real bear, but doable.

The other thing I had to do was rethink my antenna layouts. I had originally planned for 2 belly whip COM antennas under the rear seats and had installed doublers and drilled the mounting holes. I had also planned from my transponder to be on the belly somewhere centerline forward. When I looked at the location the pod would be I had to scrap those ideas. I ended up with one COM antenna on top of the tailcone a few inched behind the seam between the tailcone and the cabin top (I did extend a ground plane onto the cabin top with some copper foil). The other COM is on the bottom of the right wing between the 1st and 2nd inboard ribs. My transponder antenna is on the bottom of the tailcone, also just aft of the tailcone /fuse seam and offset to the right. I have a Garmin GTX23ES remote transponder mount in the tailcone so the location works just fine.

Last edited:
Fairly Easy Install

As Todd mentioned it is fairly easy to install. I did capture a couple of photos.
Here is what I wrote in my build log.

I attached the MotoPod HardPoint attachment into the Mid Fuselage Ribs and Bottom Skin section. The instruction provided are straight forward and very well drawn with well made parts. Other than the fact you are working in a small space the install is easy. David did a great job at capturing all the required information and parts needed. I will install the forward HardPoint in an upcoming section. I did not make the seat pan access hole yet but will when I come to the appropriate section. (7 hours).

20120607-183445.jpg

20120607-183454.jpg

20120607-183504.jpg

20120607-183516.jpg

20120607-183530.jpg

Access Cover under rear seats
20140310-105109.jpg

Hard Points between spar
20140310-105133.jpg

thanks!

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate the help. Gaylon, I had come across your build log in my searching and found it to have the most detail. Did you have pictures of the forward point installation?

Somewhere there are pictures

I thought I had more pictures in the blog but don't find them. The photo below is of the forward attach point. They mount in the same place the landing gear mounts as they share they same holes if I remember correctly. Nothing fancy to them, they slide in between the spar and bolt in. The drawings provided by David are great as they show everything that needs to be accomplished in great detail. If I find more pictures I will post them.

20140310-105133.jpg

Thread Drift

Sorry for the thread drift.

For those that have the motopod, how do you like it and how functional have you found it to be? Also curious what the real world numbers are as far as impact of speed, fuel flow, climb, etc. What changes in handling have you noticed using it?

Thanks -- TJ

TJ,

My 10 isn't flying yet, but I plan to have the motopod. I've heard from David that the drag impact was unexpectedly low in testing. So much so, that people didn't believe the number. Therefore, he tells people it's 5-10 knots, even though realworld experience from users says it's much lower. Something to do with most of the pod's volume being in the area of seperation, or something like that... Like everything, there will be tradeoffs, but then again, you can remove the pod and fly without if mission demands..

Very Useful it is

The POD makes travel with 4 easy. I have a young family and carry lots of large baby items at this point so the POD accommodates these items easily that wouldn't normally fit through the baggage door. I find it much easier to load and unload and very easy to adjust the W&B with the POD.

As ppilotmike already stated the speed penalty and climb performance are spot on. I also spoke with David about this and found it very surprising. I have done several Vx and Vy climb oil cooler pressure differential tests with the POD on and find the climb rates slightly better than without the POD. All test flights with same weight cargo in the POD. I was performing these test as the POD and Show Planes cowl have a tendency to raise oil cooler temps because the close proximity of the front of the POD to the exit portion of the cowl. The Show Planes cowl is the only one I have experience with but I have not heard of the stock cowl experiencing the same issue as I am. So I don't think this is anything to worry about for anyone else. Without the POD I have no issues with oil cooling as the Show Planes cowl is top notch.

As for handling of the aircraft while the POD is attached the center of gravity is moved lower and makes the airplane feel more stable. It would describe it more like how a small twin engine plane, Seneca, might feel but without the slower roll rate with the heavy feel of the engines on the wings. This would be as gross POD carrying weight. You will feel the cross wind a little more but "feel" is the only thing it does as handling doesn't change.

Like all things discussed on VAF. This is my 2 cents worth and opinions will vary.

I've been thinking about doing the hard points as well. Is there any concern that the pod could fill with water while flying through rain? Or fill with water dripping down the aircraft while parked?

It could be a boat... But...

It likely won't float long. There is a seal around the top edge of the POD. You fit the pod to the belly with a little trimming then attach the rubber seal similar to the door seal installed after market, not like Vans. The connection points (4) where the POD attaches to the hard points do not have seals. It possible it go leak here but I haven't had this occur yet and have flown in rain.

My answer is that it might happen but not sure what circumstance would cause it because water dripping off the plane wouldn't get in the POD nor would the water/rain as it passes by the sides of the POD. At least I have not experienced it in my use yet.

irXG-d-4cuLe5bZRDBoDlWA0IzKfHm5fxR1lu3R0kYW9EYcvCEf5Bv_t33kO2eBl8Fjgdr9Bbe7eA_8GLDKzfP4c4rGA1nBIjjC2Dpx5Wd369keEN-g7T7A_IzL9p5SZTckNbB19fe9Ova2AaTnv2sfpJ6dhG63mfstNXnOTdqiksNteEPD07as8isi9VKj_j8O45WIs4dGb-BOEzXa4eOoqNjhDQC8qabPQV6xHAqvHUNr1kLbsp252CMe1Y57Qg6WHjY1eb12RADdIRolUP4uCcyJlPdEDqNm1c8NTn1zeNaK275rkQZRkIT4OTzxRpdunWluo1pa1vhACbJnbF8losREdTGVuoZgi8YauwsOudFoZ7R7BNH7h2OvaF8H62zxkwqDFlmtvN_pGgOHeZhmtUlxWmfoC73J4CEZuZVArmOjxO7gUP98WdbTkM2WR2y6900fZIHbysxFLLMhYpQ-PLcWrv0RuPRdP-PWRkZr2vnSMIJyk5OjNjX-bhNGsaM7YZR8=w725-h408-no

Has anyone retrofit the hard points yet? I really wish it was available when i was building. I will look over the plans again. I really could use it! This is how i have been transporting a windsurfing board and gear, surfboard, and camping gear for several nights. This was a solo trip, but i could probably fit a person in the left rear passenger seat still. ;)

Back