What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar space at Ashland or Medford

NinerBikes

Well Known Member
I will probably be visiting a friend in Ashland some time this winter in my RV-12, from KWHP, in L.A. .

What is the situation with finding hangars to keep my plane in for a few days while visiting in the area, which has more access, and also which airport is less likely to have lighter cross winds to land in for a less experienced newly minted pilot.

Will probably end up trying to keep my Rotax engine happy with filling up with Premium Mogas instead of 100LL, which isn't good for the gearbox or the rings on a Rotax 912 ULS. Are there brands of premium gas to avoid while making a purchase in Medford or Ashland, due to quality control issues, or ethanol free mogas near by?

https://www.see.cam/us/or/talent/talent-ashland-municipal-airport-s03

Or should I just instead drive the 600 miles, weather wise, this time of year in Southern Oregon? Also have AWD VW Touareg, but getting up and over i-5 around Shasta in snow might not be my idea of a good time. 62, retired, I have the time to do it either way.

Last edited:
Plan to fly. Decide the day before, if you need to drive. (Or fly commercial). Snow is rare in Ashland, although you will see it in the surrounding mountains. If you don’t like the looks of the I-5 valley Reading to Ashland, consider just going up the coast to Eureka and Grants Pass, then east to Ashland.
Ashland airport is in a protected valley, winds are usually light. On departure you may need to circle a bit to clear the I5 pass just south of Ashland. Sorry, can’t help with hangar info. Medford is a much larger airport. They may have hangars available, I don’t know. Ashland won’t give you any flak about self-fueling with auto gas from 5 gal cans. Medford, I don’t know.

Ashland has "carports" available, I think you can just call Skinner Aviation and arrange for one for short-term. There is a waiting list for hangars. If it is just for a few days, I suppose Skinner might put you in their maintenance hangar - doesn't hurt to ask. But I kind of doubt it.

Medford may have hangars. They are less in demand because Medford is more often IFR through mid-day in the winter. When there is fog in the valley, it usually burns off at Ashland sooner, sometimes much sooner.

Medford has milder winds. Ashland in the summer has a characteristic 10--15 kt at 45 degrees from the left. There is a riparian area along the west (left) side and the wind blows through trees, which can make it a little gusty. Often right down at runway level it is calm because of the sheltering effect of the trees, even though it might be 10+ kts 33 ft off the ground where the wind is measured. If you land a little long, down toward mid-field the winds are steadier and less turbulent. Instructors and students usually do that. In the winter, it is hard to say - depends on whatever the weather is going on. Very often it is dead calm.

Ashland has a AWOS on the CTAF 122.8 activated when you click the mic three times, and usually activated just by making an initial call from 8 miles south when you come through the pass. (ignore the out-of-date website for Skinner Aviation that says it is on 122.7)

There is a Union-76 station about a mile from the Ashland airport that has ethanol-free premium. Typically $4/gallon. 100LL at Ashland has been $4.30, not sure it if still is. Enterprise rental cars are available by prior arrangement through Skinner aviation. Medford, being a commercial airport, has lots of rental cars. I assume that the FBO there can arrange for a car for you, or they might have a courtesy car, I don't know.

PM me for further details if you like.

As far as driving, there are 2 passes on I-5 which sometimes get snow. The first is 4000 ft at Black Butte Summit, between Mt Shasta City and Weed. The second is Siskiyou Pass, near the CA-OR border at 4300 ft, the highest point on all of I-5. It is extremely rare that there is any snow accumulation on either. It is pretty rare for snow level to go below 5000 ft, but it does happen occasionally. Usually it is just a dusting and they get it cleared pretty quickly. I have had to put chains on exactly once over the years. Especially if you plan on driving that stretch in mid afternoon, they will have the roads clear and the traffic pretty much keeps it that way. Do carry chains, but the odds that you would need them are extremely low.

Last edited:
I have made the trip from So CA to So OR a couple of hundred times over the last 14 years. I make these trips VFR only as the mountains around there are notable for icing conditions this time of year. I lost a hangar neighbor quite a few years ago to the icing there. The main band of concern for me tends to be the weather from the northern end of the valley from Redding on into the Rogue Valley.

I have driven this route many many times too - in our VW Touareg. It has never been an issue and I have never had to put chains on. I use the webcams on www.tripcheck.com to see the road conditions as part of my trip planning. The worst weather is usually the section from Dunsmuir to Weed. Then the second would be the quick trip up and over the Siskiyou summit.

The winds at Ashland have already been discussed. At Medford, they are pretty consistent at relatively straight down runway 32.

If you diligently watch the weather and are flexible in your travel date, you should find a nice window of opportunity.

I have a hangar at KMFR, but it is filled with airplane right now. Sorry. Contact the Jet Center there and see if they can put you up. Have a safe trip!

Thanks all, for the measured responses... good to know about icing conditions over those passes in the winter.

The RV-12 might not be such a good idea this time of year.

Will watch for that window, and if it looks safe enough, give it a go.

Back