What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airworthiness Inspection

cfiidon

Well Known Member
Today I had a representative of the local FSDO perform the airworthiness inspection on my RV-8. I think he walked around the airplane at least twice if not more, crawled underneath on a creeper, peered in the front and rear baggage areas with a flashlight, jiggled this and that, etc., etc., had me demonstrate flight controls and flaps... looked over the engine with a magnifying glass, peered intently at any movable connection (flaps, ailerons,, rudder, elevator).

He climbed in the airplane and studied the instrument panel, circuit breaker panels and checked all the flight controls.

As he sat there he said "I know if I keep looking long enough I can find SOMETHING!'

In the end he said I should label the rear seat mic and phone jacks and the PTT switch right above them. He complemented me on doing an excellent job building. I was a happy camper.:D

I thought I would get a temporary on the spot, but he said because of scheduling and travel it would take him two weeks, and he also took my application for a repairman's certificate. I know this is different from what I've read here on the forum, but all I can do is say "Okey-Dokey". Besides, I still need some taxi tests and I'm not in a hurry.

I'm quite happy I got both the nod and a compliment. It was a good day.

Don

Good on'ya

Congrats.

You are on the threshold of enjoying all the fruits of your labor, and it is a marvelous airplane.

Be very careful with taxi tests. Many bad outcomes.
More important to have pilot currency and transition training. Then get it up and away from the ground quickly. There, you have time to sort things out.

Better to intend to fly, get some altitude and have to deal with an emergency than not intend to fly and find yourself learning to land a new airplane in a highly dynamic situation, not a stabilized approach, and not in landing config.

Its a proven design, so not much new can be learned in a part-power taxi test.

Just My humble opinion.

Roger that

My taxi tests will be "slow speed"... just to check out brakes, steering, yada yada yada.

I just had some time in an RV8 and it's time to get my feet back to dancing with some more tailwheel currency time.

I'm aware of the dangers of high speed taxi tests... not advised by many.

Don

Congrats!!

Today I had a representative of the local FSDO perform the airworthiness inspection on my RV-8.

He complemented me on doing an excellent job building. I was a happy camper.:D

I'm quite happy I got both the nod and a compliment. It was a good day.

Don

Don, big congratulations to you.

BIGtime congrats to ya !!!!

I know how exciting that is. I got my ACertif on 8/30/12 .... it was a big, big day.
I did 1.4 hrs of taxi tests (slow) to test exactly the things you mentioned above. You have to do some run testing before the DAR gets there, if nothing else to get idle speed and mixture set and to have some idea how it taxis, in terms of brakes and the free castering n-wheel. I had 350 hrs in Cessnas and Pipers with steerable nosewheels; free castering is quite a bit different. A little practice is a good thing. :D

Thanks

I know how exciting that is. I got my ACertif on 8/30/12 .... it was a big, big day.
I did 1.4 hrs of taxi tests (slow) to test exactly the things you mentioned above. You have to do some run testing before the DAR gets there, if nothing else to get idle speed and mixture set and to have some idea how it taxis, in terms of brakes and the free castering n-wheel. I had 350 hrs in Cessnas and Pipers with steerable nosewheels; free castering is quite a bit different. A little practice is a good thing. :D

Thanks all! I have the pressures set nicely, along with the idle settings (borrowed a good 0-30PSI gauge). Things can change though and it'll be interesting to see during slow taxi how engine temps affect everything. I have plenty to do to keep me busy until the paperwork is done.

Don

Update

It's official. Mr. Joseph Gramzinski of the Orlando FSDO called today to inform me he freed up some time in his schedule and came by to present me with my pink slip and temporary repairman certificate.

I'm officially ready for Phase I.

That "quickbuild" took 4 1/2 years. My timing was really off. I moved the airplane from my minimally air conditioned shop at home to the airport on June 8th... just in time for the lovely Florida summer ... and it was a HOT one.

I won't predict first flight... that will happen when the stars are in alignment.

Don

Back