What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel!

Just trying to stay ahead of the wave!

GDL 39 in afterbaggage compartment.

The blue masking tape will be replaced with better labels for :
GDL 39 remote ON
Back up Battery ON

Hoping to use Stein's sailboat in the BVI that I'm personally financing!!!!!:D

This is a very nice panel you have here!

Concept and Reality

So - I'm days away from my certification inspection and getting my docs and ducks in a row. I came across my Panel Planner concept panel.

Looks like this:
2ylab2q.jpg

Took this one at the hangar today:
nc1261.jpg

So in the end - expectation meets reality - how cool is that!

Without going into a thread drift - PowerFLARM working well lots of good heads up with mode C. Gliders use FLARM but the few that I have seen were not transmitting/equipped. ADSB mainly airliners but I use my MGL EFIS GPS out to my Trig T21 for ADSB and that is working well as this electronic plane spotters website shows!

Last edited:
Here's mine.
Dynon SV1000 with autopilot & transponder, Garmin 695, Funkwerk ATR 833, Rockrack switches.
Not flight tested yet, but if it all works I'll be happy with this layout.

565054_4609542593581_2054866676_n.jpg

Nice work guys

The panel is one of the most creative parts of the build (for me anyway).

hats off guys - nice work!

panel

Nice panel. They are personal. Panels seem to be never ending in variation.

That is the great part of Experimental.

Nice

Nice, where about in Switzerland? My daughter and son-in-law live in Lausanne, and we get over there about every year and a half or so. It?s a long trip, but that?s where the grand kids are!

IMG_4655.JPG

So, went with old fashioned steam guages for pretty much everything. Don't need much for a day VFR bird, really had extra space left over. Did give up on trying to fit the map box in there, will come up with something on the side. Painted with wrinkle paint from the auto parts store.

There will be the aerobatic placard under the transponder, and a mount for my handheld hiking GPS in the big space on the right. Planning on eventually putting a ADS-B moving map in there once prices come down.

Simplicity

bifft,
I honor and respect you for your simplicity approach to having real fun!

Nice job.

Mike

Near the capitol Bern in a small city called Grenchen (ICAO-locator LSZG) where Breitling watches do come from ;-)

Markus

Finally!

I finally have some part of the plane that looks ready to go!
Drawn, laid out, cut out, painted, labeled, and assembled right in the privacy of my own garage.

DSC_0102.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished with GRT HXr

Just about finished tweaking my new GRT HXr installation. I removed my GRT Sport and replaced with the 10.4" HXr. That involved removing the ARINC module, replacing the compass module with one matched to the new ADHRS I had to install, removing the encoder and installing the external GRT GPS.

Setup was standard GRT. Serial in's and out's and configuring the display for the parameters you want. All in all an easy process.

I kept the D10A and installed a D1 for attitude/heading redundancy. I have and SL30 for ILS/VOR's, a Garmin GNC300XL for GPS ops, a Trig 31 for transponder with ADSb out/in and a Skyradar to display the ADSb weather and traffic on the HXr.

8333469425_7a4b410f71_b.jpg

Dang Jerry that looks great. I've always liked the look of the GRT stuff but
I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a dual display G3X upgrade. I now may take another look at the HXr.

I have one question, where did you hide the little EIS display?

Thanks

Dang Jerry that looks great. I've always liked the look of the GRT stuff but
I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a dual display G3X upgrade. I now may take another look at the HXr.

I have one question, where did you hide the little EIS display?

Thanks

I mounted it down on the right side panel under the switches. Made a canted panel so that it faces toward the pilot. Once programmed though, itI never even look down at it.

I am curious where you mounted the SkyRadar unit and if you used external antennas. I am going to be headed down a similar route so any info would be helpful.

pdj

I am curious where you mounted the SkyRadar unit and if you used external antennas. I am going to be headed down a similar route so any info would be helpful.

pdj

I mounted the Skyradar behind the left lower part of the panel on a bracket under the transponder. I used Wifi antennae cable extensions and used the Skyradar antennas mounted beside the G meter on the glare shield.

Just about finished tweaking my new GRT HXr installation. I removed my GRT Sport and replaced with the 10.4" HXr. That involved removing the ARINC module, replacing the compass module with one matched to the new ADHRS I had to install, removing the encoder and installing the external GRT GPS.

Setup was standard GRT. Serial in's and out's and configuring the display for the parameters you want. All in all an easy process.

I kept the D10A and installed a D1 for attitude/heading redundancy. I have and SL30 for ILS/VOR's, a Garmin GNC300XL for GPS ops, a Trig 31 for transponder with ADSb out/in and a Skyradar to display the ADSb weather and traffic on the HXr.

8333469425_7a4b410f71_b.jpg

Cool. Looking at upgrading my GRT to that display too. Can you take a few more pics cycling through the various display pages. Is the lower right box where traffic and weather displayed together? Can you take more pics of how/where the GRT display shows traffic, wx, winds aloft, metars, tafs, etc? What does your ipad that is on your left leg do for u that the GRT display doesn't?

Any other operational tid bits or purchase/installation advise you can share and give further updates on would be sweet. Now I have to go research what a Trig 31 is!

Fernando: This is going to be a terrific enhancement to your RV-8! It really looks terrific!! Now, I think it is pretty much perfect!!

P.S. I'll be at Sun n Fun sometime on the 11th on through the morning of the 14th (April). Hope you'll be coming up!

Lee...

Last edited:
Fernando: This is going to be a terrific enhancement to your RV-8! It really looks terrific!! Now, I think it is pretty much perfect!!

P.S. I'll be at Sun n Fun sometime on the 11th on through the morning of the 14th (April). Hope you'll be coming up!

Lee...

Hi Lee, my wife and me will be almost all week at sun n fun, so I hope to see you there

panel labeling

Fernando or whoever may have suggestions,
What did you use for labeling your panel? I am building the panel for my 4 now and need something professional looking to label the breakers and switches.
Thanks,
Mike

I recognize that approach. Haven't done it in awhile since they changed the equipment serving Santiago. Miss going there!

The panel is looking great. Can't wait to light mine up- hopefully soon. I think the Testors kit is brilliant way to do the labels. What program did you use to create them before printing them out?

I recognize that approach. Haven't done it in awhile since they changed the equipment serving Santiago. Miss going there!

The panel is looking great. Can't wait to light mine up- hopefully soon. I think the Testors kit is brilliant way to do the labels. What program did you use to create them before printing them out?

I used Microsoft paint, I now is not the best but is what I have. If you fly down here again, send me a message so we could go flying in my 8

Panel placards done

I had Denny at AvGrafix.com make up my switch labels and a couple other placards. Came out great! Thanks Denny! :D

The small white dots are drill hole locations for switch guards.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My Panel Upgrade

I've been flying with steam for the last 3 years and it was time to upgrade. This is the way its shaping up. Hey Stein, could you make me a harness to connect my Narco VTR 2A to my AP 74.
002pwt.jpg

Its wierd that I now know a Narco VTR 2A will fit perfectly into a hole made for a Dynon D180.

Randy
8A

I've been flying with steam for the last 3 years and it was time to upgrade. This is the way its shaping up. Hey Stein, could you make me a harness to connect my Narco VTR 2A to my AP 74.

Its wierd that I now know a Narco VTR 2A will fit perfectly into a hole made for a Dynon D180.

Randy
8A

That just made me laugh out loud! A true museum piece you have there!!!

Cheers,
Stein

Those labels look great!

One point of order though: I'm guessing that you have toggles controling the P-Mags. If so, experience suggests that the "Test" position should not be a momentary. It can be used as an "alternate" position. You may find yourself needing to fly with the external power removed, and holding those toggles up in flight would be a pain (assuming 113 series).

Randy, You weren't supposed to show anyone that prototype "D180-Classic" we gave you!

-Robert
Dynon

Back