What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairing advice?

AJ85WA

Well Known Member
I recently purchased a QB fuse and wing from a previous builder. He has completed some work on it and I noticed 2 things that could be potential problem.

The 1st one is the enlarged hole needed for the aileron pushrod. As you can see the one rivet has been grinded in half.
DSC00376.jpg

The 2nd one I noticed the screw holding the rudder cable protection plate on side of fuselage has been drilled into the longeron possibly making it a lot weaker in that area.
DSC00371.jpg

Please advise if I need to repair or replace?
Thanks AJ

In my opinion, the aileron pushrod hole is a non-issue. I also don't think the longeron is an issue, though it's not exactly clear from the photo. The main strength feature of the longeron is the part perpendicular to the skin. The section of the longeron that parallels the skin doesn't really provide significant strength (the skin really provides the strength in a monocoque construction). So, without seeing it closer, it is MY OPINION (and I'm not an aeronautical engineer or A&P or anything like that so take it for what its worth) that the second photo presents no issue either (unless the perpendicular portion of the longeron has been compromised). Wouldn't hurt to have someone else have a closer look in person.

Cheers,
greg

I have no idea if the push rod hole itself is an issue, but if it turns out to be fine, at least deburr the thing:eek:

Thanks for the input. It has been drilled into the perpendicular part of longeron. But I'm also sure it will be ok, I'll check with some local expierence.

I agree mike it needs some love and care/deburing :)

The longeron does need to be repaired. Follow AC 43.13-1A/2A for the repair. Relocate the rudder cable faring with rivets, and de-burr the hole. Oh and tighten the nut holding the adel clamp.

The part that's been drilled through looks to be a J-channel stringer, NOT the big long extruded L-angle longeron. Is that correct? The stringers are relatively easy to build a doubler repair for, if you decide to go that route. New J-stringer stock nests nicely with existing stock. Not too much work to drill out some skin rivets, nest another piece of J-channel underneath, match drill, and rivet the new secton in using the next-longer size rivet.

Last edited:
Back