What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixing a random screw in elevator

I bought a used empennage kit and while inspecting an elevator I noticed a screw where there should be a rivet. It's held on with a lock-nut on the other side. When removed there's a big hole. Do I put the nut and screw back and call it good? Is there an acceptable fix for this?

IMG_1634_zpss0t23i3l.jpg

IMG_1632_zpsaeoz7rsh.jpg

IMG_1633_zpsplzlzuxf.jpg

IMG_1631_zpsx4ccf5oh.jpg

I suspect the screw is acceptable, but not pretty. If it was me, i would want a 426-5 rivet in there, but if you can't get to the backside to buck, you will have to shop for a pulled rivet to fill the hole.

Generally, if a river is called for, a river is best. A screw stretches as it is tightened, making it thinner. A rivet swells as it is bucked, making it thicker and does a better job of making the parts one. However, with a single hole in a location like this, I would leave it alone and fill it with body filler before paint if you don't like seeing the screw head. Bucking a #5 rivet in 0.016" skins would not be my recommendation. Having a rivet that thick swell in a hole with questionable edge distance will not solve problems, but could create them.

Build on is my recommendation.

If someone asks you about it, just look them straight in the eye and say "this is the latest speed mod - I get another five knots with this".

Carl

I missed bucking a rivet in the left wing spar. If someone sees the not-so-obvious hole and queries it, I reply that it's a top-side inspection hole for upper surface of the aileron hardware...:)

Screw

Generally, if a river is called for, a river is best. A screw stretches as it is tightened, making it thinner. A rivet swells as it is bucked, making it thicker and does a better job of making the parts one. However, with a single hole in a location like this, I would leave it alone and fill it with body filler before paint if you don't like seeing the screw head. Bucking a #5 rivet in 0.016" skins would not be my recommendation. Having a rivet that thick swell in a hole with questionable edge distance will not solve problems, but could create them.

Build on is my recommendation.

^^ That's why I did it. While dimpling I slipped and elongated the hole. Going to the #8 countersunk with a nyloc nut was my fix for this part was going to fill screw head before paint. Did not seem worth replacing the whole skin for that, viable fix in my mind. Probably would have caused more harm drilling out rivets and replacing skin for that. Build on

Cracks?

I think you might want to check the underlying structure for cracks or a funky hole just to be sure. When I buggered up my hole I ended up cracking the rib and had to replace it. JMHO. YMMV

Back