What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Greg "Spanky" Barber

smokyray

Well Known Member
Guys,
We lost a true American hero last weekend. My longtime friend, Greg "Spanky" Barber (LTC retired) was killed along with his Air Force Academy cadet son Tim in a midair collision in their family Luscombe New Years Eve.
Spanky was a great American in every sense of the word. Growing up on a farm he decided early in life exactly what he wanted to do, and become. He would succeed 100% of his aspirations. From his early days in the USAF instructing in the T38 to his final years as a U2 Pilot flying clandestine, high threat missions around the world, Spanky had seen it all from the highest vantage point on Earth.
When both of us were stationed in VA in the mid 1990's, we took turns helping each other work on their respective machines, I with my RV4, Spanky with his prized Luscombe. Additionally, his home became my second home and family influencing me (along with everyone else he met) in a highly positive way.
The Luscombe was always busy, seemingly until the very end last weekend with a non-stop list of Young Eagles, friends and family Spanky had introduced to aviation. Fittingly, he was the first passenger in my RV4 once I had completed the 50 hour test phase. Despite his small stature and humble ways, a great aviator lurked underneath. When I passed the controls of the RV4 to Spanky I knew immediately I was in the presence of greatness. Many years later my wife and I would have the honor of delivering the Luscombe to TX from CA when he battled cancer. Spanky would not only beat the cancer, but get his medical back and continue encouraging future aviators, "one ride at a time".

In retirement Spanky would continue his lifelong passion begun in the AF in promoting Scouting. His Scoutmaster leadership and amazing impact on the community was evident when we visited his widow at their farm yesterday. A vigil of volunteers ranging from police to firefighters to pastors, USAF officers and numerous young people, all volunteering to protect the property from press and paparazzi. Spanky's encouragement would lead to 3 of his 4 children accepted to the AF Academy, his 4th in the process of applying. Hundreds of young people involved in positive activities and many more introduced to aviation. My MAF missionary pilot friend Chad whom Spanky gave numerous Luscombe rides saying it best, "Greg defined the word encouragement, he brightened up any room he entered and left you with a big smile".

Spanky not only flew high but set the "how to live life bar" even higher, something we can all aspire to achieve.
He will be sorely missed...
V/R
Smokey

https://www.gofundme.com/barber-patrol

Last edited:
Condolences to the family. From one Air Force vet to another two, Spanky and son, you'll be missed.

Prayer light is ON, bright/flash

Throw two nickels on the grass...

Cheers to Spanky and Tim:
Clink
Glug glug
Smash!

Hand salute, with reverence

Well done, my good and faithful servant🙏

Thanks for the write up Smokey. Spanky was very well thought of in his AF community and in life in general. Tonight I attended a Quiet Birdman event and the master of ceremonies gave a very fitting eulogy of his life. Like us, he loved to fly. He also loved life to the fullest and instilled these virtues in his children and those that called him friend. I second Scroll's nickel in the gass and dip a wing to the West. We shall meet again. But not yet🙏

Not the end...

Thanks for the write up Smokey. Spanky was very well thought of in his AF community and in life in general. Tonight I attended a Quiet Birdman event and the master of ceremonies gave a very fitting eulogy of his life. Like us, he loved to fly. He also loved life to the fullest and instilled these virtues in his children and those that called him friend. I second Scroll's nickel in the gass and dip a wing to the West. We shall meet again. But not yet��

Guys,
I was an attendee Thursday to the first ever father son funeral service ever at USAFA in CO. The overcast cold day was briefly interrupted by the sound of freedom in the form of 4 Black T-38"s performing a magnificent missing man. However comma, Spanky and Tim would have loved the distant drone of an 0-320 attached to the nose of a USAFA Super Cub towing an academy Grob sailplane. The somber mood at the reception afterward was lifted when one by one, Spanky and Tim stories were shared by friends.
The overall message was they lived life well and left a great example for us all....
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
live life well and leave a great example

The overall message was they lived life well and left a great example for us all....
Wow - very powerful. May we all live our lives so that is what is said about us when we are no longer of this world. Thanks for sharing with us Smokey.

Back