What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gas Cap

todehnal

Well Known Member
I've been meaning to post this for a long time. Each time I think about doing it, I consider how trivial it is, and that I may well be the only person on this earth that did not know this. So, here we go. While at the RV fly-in at Petit Jean last year, I was chatting with another RV-12 guy, and the subject got around to gas caps. I mentioned that often I had difficulty in removing the cap. I made a nice tool for lifting the tab, but the well fitting "O" ring made the cap removal a real struggle. We happened to be standing by my RV-12, and he politely demonstrated a simple procedure. All it takes is a little push down on the stem, and the cap can be easily removed. What a simple fix for an aggravating problem. After lifting the tab, that little push down on the strm relieves the tension that is against the "O" ring. This may not be much help to most of you, but if it just saves one guy from this struggle that I have been having for over a year, it was worth posting.

What a fantastic bird!!!..........Tom

Last edited:
Tom,

I have to periodically adjust the tension nut on my cap. A light coating of lithium grease on the O-ring seems to help too.

Rich

Good tip Tom. Speaking of RV-12 fuel caps: Since my fuel cap is one of the early "vented" variety, my pre-flight inspection includes checking the vent's proper functioning by removing the cap and blowing through the vent hole. It is quick and easy to do, and it is reassuring to know that some little critter hasn't made a home in my vent. One of these days, I'll probably get around to installing Van's new-style fuel venting system.

Yea, a little grease on the latch pivot and plunger make the operation smoother. I've never used it on the gasket though. Also, blowing through the vent hole is reassuring. Also, I have only tied down outdoors a few nights, but I tape over the entire cap with blue painters tape; probably a little overkill, but I don't want any water in my fuel tank.

I am very careful when I temporarily cover my fuel cap in anticipation of rain. That cover could be an easy thing to forget during a subsequent pre-flight (or lack thereof). Use multiple warning flags, cockpit notes, etc. to remind yourself of the cover. I have even rigged-up a "rip-away" style cover using aluminum foil and a small piece of tape that shields the cap from rain yet would get blown away by the propeller blast.

When I'm going to use the blue painters tape on the gas cap, I always remove the ignition key first, then tape it at the end of the roll of tape and store it in the baggage area. Not impossible, to forget but highly unlikely.

I put the gas cap on orientated with the vent hole up. If parked outside, I cover the top half of the gas cap with tape. If I forget to take the tape off, no big deal. Air can enter the vent but not rain, unless water can run up hill.

Gas cap opener

Instead of investing in one of the pricey openers, I just use a shorty 3/8" wrench.
You can hang it on a key chain, use the box end to open the gas cap top plus it might come in handy for use as a wrench, in an emergency.

So does any spare key on your key ring or use the screwdriver end of your fuel sampler.

Another cheap option...

I ground down an alumunim bottle opener purchased for $.99 at a gas station.

Doubles as a bottle opener too.

Daddyman

Dues paid 2016 + extra just because

Back