What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 to Ireland

Powerful stuff...

I was tracking you and had a big smile on my face as you were approaching your destination. Now I have a big lump in my throat. Great story. Hits home. Wish I could fly with my dad too... I hope you have a great visit and safe passage back home. :)

Greenland photos

Jim, thanks for sharing the photos with us. West coast of Greenland on approach to Kangerlussuaq airport.

On the way home

N415JS left Dublin this morning and landed in Reykjavik this afternoon. This was a long one. Tomorrow is Greenland and a second leg to Iqaluit if the weather works out. I?ll post pictures when I get home, lotsa pictures...:D

Paddy Has Landed

Looks like Paddy is back home after his Irish adventure. Two very long days to get home. Three days from Dublin to Chicago area. Most impressive.

Back in the US of A!

N415JS arrived home to LL10 near Chicago on Saturday afternoon after a round trip of over 7,000nm. The airplane didn't have a single squawk the entire trip - what a wonderful machine. Thanks Vans!

The last couple of days were long ones, Reykjavic to Iqaluit on Friday and Iqaluit all the way home on Saturday. I learned to make the most of the weather while you have it on a trip like this.

Many thanks to those who have done this before me and been so generous in sharing their wisdom. In particular, I'd like to give a shout out to Herman Schiele who not only talked me through the details of his own crossing, but kept watch over me from the left seat of his 747 when our paths crossed.

Here are some pictures of a most excellent adventure...

IMG_6579-L.jpg

Somewhere over the North Atlantic

On the ramp at Kangerlussuaq

N415JS on the GA ramp next to a Partenavia from the local FlightSeeing operator. The pilot of this aircraft graciously put me up at his house for the night. We enjoyed Musk Ox burgers for dinner and excellent company and conversation. Thanks Hanus!

IMG_6542-L.jpg

Last edited:
Leaving Kangerlussuaq Eastbound

Leaving BGSF, ATC kindly let me fly up the fjord before joining my filed route. Pictures don't do this any justice, it was spectacular to climb up the valley, see the arctic desert unfold beneath and emerge on the edge of the icecap at the end.

IMG_6545-L.jpg

IMG_6548-L.jpg

IMG_6549-L.jpg

Last edited:
These pictures look very familiar to me and hey, if you ever fly this route again we should meet. You are invited to visit me, just a few hours more. And a hangar and a bed will be provided. It would be a blast to fly around here together.

hello,
wonderful pictures. Congratulation. I want do this trip in 2 years from Germany with a N registered RV7A. Do you some details for the flight permissions which are necessary for this flight? Would be very kind if you can give that information. Thank you so much.

Continuing Eastbound...

The Western side of Greenland where the icecap meets the Atlantic ocean and calves massive icebergs.

IMG_6564-L.jpg

RATSU

The famous RATSU intersection on the North East corner of the Shanwick FIR. If you cross the atlantic in a little airplane (or even a big one), you'll be putting this one in your flightplan!

IMG_6582-L.jpg

Weather

There's weather out there.

This is just out of Reykjavik on the way to Ireland.

IMG_6576-L.jpg

Irish Coast

First glimpse of the Irish coastline after the North Atlantic crossing. A very welcome sight after several hours of open ocean below.

IMG_6585-L.jpg

Arriving in Dublin

Heading West here over Dublin bay. In the foreground is Howth Head. There's an estuary just visible to the North, I grew up right there, in Malahide.

IMG_6591-L.jpg

Dublin City

I was gifted with the VOR D approach into Weston Airport, EIWT. The final approach course brings you right up the river Liffey, which runs through the city center. Given that I had never flown in Ireland before, this part was absolutely surreal...

IMG_6596-L.jpg

Last edited:
Arrived!

Celebrating with friends and family who turned out to greet me at the airport. A day I will never forget :)

2019091116375507-2487981218119244774-PHOTO-2019-08-28-10-25-20-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back