What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aux fuel - need more fuel

backcountry

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone has added aux tanks in the wings that would feed into the standard baggage compartment tank.
I’m 160 lbs and fly solo a lot and sometimes with little people and could put it a good deal of weight.

Have a look in the Modifications thread. Several options there for aux tanks. I enlarged my fuel tank (RV-12 Classic) to take 25 gal.

I was wondering if anyone has added aux tanks in the wings that would feed into the standard baggage compartment tank.
I’m 160 lbs and fly solo a lot and sometimes with little people and could put it a good deal of weight.

Consider a Sling 2, instead. 39.6 gallons of fuel onboard, in the wings.

The RV-12 has removable wings... fuel tanks would defeat that, plus the spars were never engineered to handle the additional weight of added fuel. Another consideration would be how this affects the CG of the airplane.

Last edited:
you 'could' put quick disconnects on the hoses tot he wing tanks, if you intended on removing the wings. We do something similar for the Panthers.
You 'might' check with Vans engineering on the wing structure to make sure.

Tom

extra fule tank

check out "Modifications you made" posts: Page 24, #234, 7/18/14, Jetguy.

We used his idea and it works great!

I wasn’t able to get to
Page 24, #234, 7/18/14, Jetguy

I would be interested in seeing it but not sure I know how to search correctly

There are/were RV-12s modified with wing tanks a few years ago, basically capped pipes inserted in the wing rib lightening holes and quick disconnect fittings to retain the removable feature. If I recall correctly, there was a small header tank in the baggage area that the wing tanks fed. Van's provided some commentary on the idea.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=114701

Adding a couple of small Aux tanks with QDs to the inboard sections of the wing may be a more feasible idea than a wing root to tip length replacement tanks.

John Salak
RV12 N896HS

Back