What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fit Wings Now, Then Remove?

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone. Planning ahead, I see the instructions have me fit/drill the wings to the fuselage. I am curious if I may fit the wings then remove them again to save space, or should I build as much as I can first, then fit the wings and leave them on?

Thanks.

Howdy everyone. Planning ahead, I see the instructions have me fit/drill the wings to the fuselage. I am curious if I may fit the wings then remove them again to save space, or should I build as much as I can first, then fit the wings and leave them on?

Thanks.

You can fit and remove. I didn't have room in my garage to install the wings when they said to do it in the manual. Did everything I could and installed the wings for the first time when I brought everything to the hangar. Still had to remove them to finish things at the wing root prior to final install. Removing them after installation is not too much of a problem. I used 2 standard AN bolts on each wing with a tapered end and the head cut off to form a pin. Save the close tolerance bolts until final install. Use light oil on the spar ends and the pins to help them slide in.

I stand on the shoulders of others

I have taken the advice of others and will fit the wings at the airport. I cant see trying to mickey mouse it in my garage.

I talked to Van's they said to me, it does not matter. I did not until it was time to fit permanently Glad I did it that way. But each to their own.

I've been thinking about this too. If I understand correctly I can wait and do all the test fitting, drilling the rear spar and installing nut-plates later when I move the plane to the airport for final assembly?

Aitor

My tech counselor said it doesn't matter if room is tight (like mine). There's no reason to do it now.
I'm fitting the tail now only because I'm taking a break from the canopy. Once done I'll store it until later.

I fitted my wings just recently when the entire fuse was basically 100% done. No problem at all.

You will have to remove the wings to install nut plates after the test fit and drilling the lower fuselage skin and the top wing gap fairing so fit the wing now, remove, install stuff and final assemble at hanger?? BTW setting up the flaps and ailerons now will save lots of work at the hanger during final assembly. :)

I did one wing at a time in my shop. I only had enough room for one. After fitting one wing, I removed it and rotated the fuselage to fit the second wing. I used hardware bolts cleaned and oiled with the threads ground to a blunt point to help alignment. Made it easy, plus I was able to use the same bolts during final assembly as alignment pins.

It was a 10 and not a 7, but I am guessing they are close to the same with all of the chores needed. I found it much easier to do in the comfort of my home shop (with tools and heat) than it would have been at the new unheated hanger in January. My goal was to get as close to an 'assembly project' at the airport rather than fabrication. It worked extremely well with a fairly quick final assembly at the airport.

I'm planning on waiting until the plane is in the hangar before fitting the wings. I have no room to fit them in the garage, and my driveway is sloped, so it would be rather difficult to fit them at home anyway.

I found it much easier to do in the comfort of my home shop (with tools and heat) than it would have been at the new unheated hanger in January. My goal was to get as close to an 'assembly project' at the airport rather than fabrication. It worked extremely well with a fairly quick final assembly at the airport.
That?s my goal too, given that all of my candidate airports are about 45 minutes away. I want to do as much at home as I possibly can before going to the airport, so I installed the wings to do some fitting and drilling and running fuel lines. I?ll probably put them on again to verify wiring and such before the trip to the airport.

Anything that has to be done after the move comes with 1.5 hours of driving. Ideally, I?ll get there, bolt the wings and tail on, and run the engine.

I believe I will try to do the same. My shop is nice, clean and at home. I believe I might be able to do one wing at a time in the shop; no problem doing both in the garage if I choose. (But our cars may have to sit outside during that time.)

The instruction video Vans sells it says it is better to test fit/drill the wings at the stage stated in the manual. The point is that you want to do this before the aircraft is on its wheels.
It seems to be easier to align the aircraft (and keep it like that) while it is on a stable supporting structure.

I set the wings long before the fuselage was completed. Much easier to reach things. I used hardware store 1/4" bolts in the outside and inside four holes on each wing. Those are so far apart that alignment is going to be fine once the close tolerance bolts are used.

I set the fuselage on blocks without the landing gear and leveled everything. Wings were installed and the sweep and alignment was adjusted and holes in rear spar drilled. Everything was rechecked after painting and final assembly and was perfect. Close tolerance bolts went in with ease.

Roberta

Me too

I have not installed the wings except for a trial a few years ago. I have rented a hanger and transported all painted parts there for assembly. So far so good.

Dave

Back