What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport quadrant vs stock

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Another one before the weekend :)

I am considering to purchase the Aerosport Quadrant Arm rest : http://www.aerosportproducts.com/product/rv-10-quad-arm-rest/
vs Arm rest + Quad insert:
http://www.aerosportproducts.com/product/rv-10-carbon-fiber-center-arm-rest-console/
http://www.aerosportproducts.com/product/rv-10-carbon-fiber-throttle-quadrant-insert/

The Quad arm rest seems very convenient (and cool!) as allows the elbow to rest, while controlling the quadrant.

However,
One thing concerns me that it is not adjustable.
I am over 6 ft, while my close co-pilot friend is 5′6, so he will have to push the seat much forward to reach the pedals. in which in this case, will have to stretch his elbow far back to be in same position controlling the quad.

Going over other certified aircrafts, such as Diamond DA40. All quadrants are much forward than pilot
The stock location of the Quad by Vans is mounted below the panel, which might not allow same arm rest, but will not limit any pilot at any height.

Your thoughts on this?

Oren

Last edited:
Aerosport sells panels that support both locations.

I have the original version, which the throttle is located similar to the original plans. I will probably upgrade to the one in the arm rest this next year or so.

I don?t think there is an issue and you are over thinking the issue. You shorter friend has to pull his seat more forward for his legs, but he also will most likely have shorter arms. I?ve not heard any complaints from anyone flying with the armrest version.

Aerosport sells panels that support both locations.

I have the original version, which the throttle is located similar to the original plans. I will probably upgrade to the one in the arm rest this next year or so.

I don?t think there is an issue and you are over thinking the issue. You shorter friend has to pull his seat more forward for his legs, but he also will most likely have shorter arms. I?ve not heard any complaints from anyone flying with the armrest version.

Thank Bob
Yes. I am aware that Aerosport sells both options. With those items so expensive, its not just a concern, its trying to figure out pros/cons for both quadrant options.
I have flown only vernier type, and while I decided to go for the quad options, apparently there are two types :) and wonder if people can share their experience with either.

Thanks
Oren

I was planning on using a quadrant in the new RV-10 for the cool factor,,,,but then the last time I flew the Cozy MKIV reminded me how much I hate quadrants.

Quadrant

I flew nothing but venier until I started flying my -10. I love the armrest quadrant. My wife on the other hand doesn't like it because I'm always taking up the armrest. I tell her when she builds the next one, she can build it how she wants it :)

Thank Bob
Yes. I am aware that Aerosport sells both options. With those items so expensive, its not just a concern, its trying to figure out pros/cons for both quadrant options.
I have flown only vernier type, and while I decided to go for the quad options, apparently there are two types :) and wonder if people can share their experience with either.

Thanks
Oren

There are only two people that I know have experience with both Aerosport options.

Geoff Combs went from verniers to armrest quadrant. Rob Hickman went from the original throttle quadrant mount to the armrest version. Rob's interior is used in quite a few of the AFS/Dynon panel ads.

I’m 6’04. I have flown a RV-10 with all the interior options. It is a nice set up but the more that goes in the cockpit the less room you have for your body. I chose not do an overhead or center console. I installed the McMaster verniers for power, prop, and mixture. I regularly fly four hour hops and have room to stretch out. Find someone that has a fully loaded RV-10 and sit in it. You will then know for sure if it will be comfortable for you.

Back