What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hole in wheel pants

guido99

There is no hole in my wheel pants to check tire pressure. So the only way to check pressure is to remove pants check pressure and reinstall pants. What a pain!!
Does anyone have dimensions to help locate these holes along with hole size?
Thank You in advance !
Guido

Measure the distance from the center of the axle nut to the valve stem. That gives you the dimension to offset the hole in the wheelpants from the screw hole where the pant attaches to the axle nut or axle nut spacer. I think I used 7/8" holes and plugs, but larger would make things easier.

Tire pressure inspection hole

Hi Guido
A laser pointer works well to locate the hole. With the pants off, aim the pointer at the correct angle to reach the tube stem. Then install the pant without moving the pointer or the plane, and mark your hole location on the pant.

I eliminated the tire pressure inspection hole for a few reasons:
-new butyl or "air stop" tubes don't leak like the old rubber tubes, and seldom require topping up
-I can determine correct tire pressure by running my finger between tire and bottom of wheel pant. I built the pants with a finger width tolerance to the tire, so if the pressure is low, the gap is too narrow
-I pull the pants at 50 hour intervals to check the brakes anyways; and check pressure at that time (they don't leak)
- if I change my mind, I can always add holes later
Jay

We were going to add them

Finally decided it was not needed, agree that good tubes solved the problem for us. Pretty much just adjust air pressure at conditional time or anytime we have the wheel pants off.

Back