What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9? What am I thinking?

RIPnLIP

Howdy y?all. Hoping to get some sound feedback and advice from the good folks here on VAF about this crazy idea I have about building an airplane. Like many that have come before me, I am embarking on this journey having many personal reservations about my ability to even complete such a project, and am further consumed by anxiety and fear that even if I should finish it, that my final product might tarnish the reputation of the manufacturer, and disgrace all the artists who have painstakingly crafted so many of what I consider to be the most beautiful aircraft ever built.

In speaking with other experts in the field (none of whom have actually built an aircraft on their own) the common advice I receive is that I should just buy a plane that is already built, as it will save me time, money, and possibly my marriage. Though likely to be good advice, it is the process and the challenge of building the plane, and the expectation that I will be so intimately familiar with every thread of its fiber that when it is completed it will be part of me, that really has me so excited to take on such an endeavor.

But my primary motivation for building the plane is to share it with others...

Okay, that?s all a bunch of ****. I really want a plane so I can fly up to Arkansas and Colorado to go fishing. There?s no trout in Texas. I need one that?s fast, sips fuel, and can land off pavement, preferably as close to a fish as possible. And I have to look good doing it. It can?t be big enough to take everyone that wants to go, but big enough to take a kid, or a wife, or a dog, or someone who will buy ALL the beer when we get there. But most importantly, it?s got to have room for a Yeti cooler that I can fill with fish!

After months of careful consideration, and houndreds of hours spent here researching, I have finally decided to build the RV-9. I have exactly 1.9 hours of tailwheel time about 17 years ago, so it seems the only logical choice. After all, why not build a plane that I don?t know how to fly when I don?t know how to build a plane in the first place? Makes sense to me!

My questions are very simple and probably will have no answers of opposing opinions:

1. Should I get my head examined befor ordering the kit?
2. I?m planning on ordering the IO-320 with a Catto 3-blade prop. 2nd choice would be the Sensenich GA prop. I really would prefer to keep it simple and light. Am I limiting myself significantly for flying into high density altitude airports/grass strips by avoiding a CS prop? Of the two I listed, would one have any significant benefit to the other? I cannot afford to leave any fish behind!
3. I don?t really intend on landing anywhere too rough, but love flying on grass strips. I was originally going to build a 9A, but have been horrified by all the stories I?ve been hearing and reading about with respect to coming to rest inverted. Has this problem been rectified? Any viable engineering solutions? I?ve finally come to terms with learning to fly a taildragger however, but any input would be appreciated as I would still consider the 9A.
4. Eventually, I want to teach my kids how to fly my plane. Anyone else have any experience teaching kids in the 9? I can barely get these kids interested in driving a car, so I certainly don?t want to overwhelm them in a taildragger when maybe they could get the spark in a 152.
5. Are there any RV groups in the DFW area? Would be nice to meet some nice folks who have similar interests. I could also use the technical and motivational support and my wife would probably like recommendations for a local mental heath provider!

Let the good times roll.

I think you are on the right track for sure! I was planning to build a simple RV9 with a Catto 3 blade prop when I found a RV 7 project near me so I was lured away from my original path but I think I would have been very happy with the 9, 320, and Catto prop! The slower stall speed of the 9 is very attractive for grass fields and back country flying! The only drawbacks are, slightly lower resale value, and takes up a little more hanger room with the longer wingspan.

Welcome

Offical Welcome should be posted shortly. Till then, welcome.
That's a lot to ponder. Sounds like you've got a good grip on mission. 9 or 7 fit pretty well for long trips and off field as long as you aren't planning river bottom landings.
So, start with spouse and family. Get buy in. It's a life changing journey. Happy wife...
Next, skills. As you mentioned, reach out to locals. Find a mentor. Build a practice kit. If you enjoy it, consider the airplane similar. Lots of bites of a similar elephant.
No advise on the tailwheel thing. I'm building one of the dreaded "A" models. Happy wife said, build anything you want as long as the wheel is in front. Who am I to argue? :D

Thoughts from a repeat offender

I happen to a Keller resident and have been a member of the RV community for a few years and it sounds like you are on the right track. Make the machine that most closely fits your mission. I have restored two factory built aircraft and completed two RV projects.

Contact me offline and maybe I can give you the benefits (and a few downsides) of the joys of building and flying amateur-built aircraft.

Jerry Kinman
[email protected]
(817)913-1499

Well, you seem to be on the right track with (1) Vans, (2) tailwheel, (3) RV-9? It does fit your mission, but don't you want to go upside down from time to time (maybe not). But (4) you didn't discuss, at length, you primer choice, or (5) if you're going to build a tipper or (ahem, mmm... one of those) sliders.

All joking aside (if you don't get the jokes now, you will...) ... RV-9 is a great plane and does seem to fit your mission well. And you won't find a better group of folks than those here on VAF. Absolutely essential to a successful build.

It will take time and treasure to build your bird (my wife has been FANTASTICALLY SUPPORTIVE, thanks dear!), but it's sure great to see the bird come together. Just a few weeks ago, I had some friends over for dinner and they wanted to see the "factory". Lots of quiz question. "What's this do? what's this wire? How does that work" ... etc. Super easy to answer every question; I built the whole darn thing! You learn a lot in the process, and it all makes you a better aviator.

It's a long way of saying: (1) you're surely not crazy, and (2) welcome to a great community!

(BTW, I like trout fishing, too, especially fly fishing. I have a brother in law who lives in Billings, MT, and we always find some great (secret) drainages near Yellowstone/Beartooths, to fish. Can't wait to "pop up" to MT from CA for a great weekend!)

Last edited:
The RV9 tail dragger is just right for your mission. As I've mentioned elsewhere in these forums, we installed Matco 6' wheels & brakes on ours, and it does a fantastic job landing on short back-country airstrips.

It's one of the easiest taildraggers I've ever flown. I taught my son to fly it, after he had about 100 hours in a Cherokee. Now he flies the RV9 everywhere, including short, unimproved strips.

My advice: Go for it!

Kurt Goodfellow
RV9 / WAM 120 diesel, 620 hours.

You will be just fine!

Welcome to the best first step! You are on the right track by joining VAF! The 9 seems to fit your mission. Great plane BTW. I choose the 7 but just for the up side down thing... I Like the slower stall speed of the 9. I like the sarcasm BTW...

1. Should I get my head examined before ordering the kit?

Sure, you could... But my mom took me to see the doc when I was about 5 and I was diagnosed with the "airplane bug" The good news are it wont kill you and no medication required besides the need to fly... The bad news. It is not treatable, so you and your wife will have to deal with it. :D
Building wont change that but if you can get the support of the wife. Get her involved in the process so she "understands" The kids too.

2. I’m planning on ordering the IO-320 with a Catto 3-blade prop. 2nd choice would be the Sensenich GA prop. I really would prefer to keep it simple and light. Am I limiting myself significantly for flying into high density altitude airports/grass strips by avoiding a CS prop? Of the two I listed, would one have any significant benefit to the other? I cannot afford to leave any fish behind!

This is a very good setup for the 9. CS vs. FP is a never ending debate. Choose one for whatever reason makes you happy... at cruise I think there is little difference and most say catto is smoother at that.

3. I don’t really intend on landing anywhere too rough, but love flying on grass strips. I was originally going to build a 9A, but have been horrified by all the stories I’ve been hearing and reading about with respect to coming to rest inverted. Has this problem been rectified? Any viable engineering solutions? I’ve finally come to terms with learning to fly a taildragger however, but any input would be appreciated as I would still consider the 9A.

The 9A can handle grass as well. Ask Vlad. Where the little wheel has to go is also very personal and endless opinions here... But the 9 sure looks better than the 9A. No arguments there.

4. Eventually, I want to teach my kids how to fly my plane. Anyone else have any experience teaching kids in the 9? I can barely get these kids interested in driving a car, so I certainly don’t want to overwhelm them in a taildragger when maybe they could get the spark in a 152.

I wish my father did this when I was a kid! Are you a CFI?

Most of the "bigger" decisions you don't have to do until much later in the build. Tailwheel / Nose Wheel, CS/FP, Tipup/slider, Engine...

So my personal advice: GO FOR IT!

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with a 0320 RV9. Lot a airplane for the $ and build effort. Mine is FP 160 HP and is easy into and out of a grass field of 1800Ft, even one way in and one way out in my case. If money was not a problem for me a RV14 would be in the shop now. But the RV9 is a great performer

The RV9 tail dragger is just right for your mission. As I've mentioned elsewhere in these forums, we installed Matco 6' wheels & brakes on ours, and it does a fantastic job landing on short back-country airstrips.

It's one of the easiest taildraggers I've ever flown. I taught my son to fly it, after he had about 100 hours in a Cherokee. Now he flies the RV9 everywhere, including short, unimproved strips.

Kurt Goodfellow
Kurt and I both have -9's and we both take them off airport from time to time. I agree with putting larger wheels and tires, which requires different gear legs. No big deal, just order them up front.

Don't worry about the lack of TW time, it will come, when you are ready. Expect to pay more for insurance until you get 100 hours in type (the first year), then it will equalize with the A model.

Catto is a great prop, stick with that decision.

The -9 taildragger is sort of the unicorn of the RV fleet and turns out to be the best handling one of the bunch.

You had better like the journey as building is a long one. There is nothing difficult, just a LOT of nothing difficult.

Feel free to contact me, if you have any questions.

I've been flying my self built 9A for 7 years already, 0-320 with a 3 blade Catto prop. I have the anti splat nose gear brace and skid for security with grass landings, the nose wheel is for steering/taxiing only. It's a great x country machine and is good in high density altitude also. I like to trout fish but I fly to the Texas coast for the big ones from 52F the home of VAF. loads of people to talk to there and also on this site. Good luck!!
I'm also in Keller.

Not much to add to the above. I think a -9 with big tires would be a more capable "bush aircraft" than 90% of pilots could use, so I'm tracking with you thought process so far.

As to the build vs. buy issue: Be honest with yourself. Yep, it's probably a big feeling of accomplishment to build. Reading your post though, it seems like you are really focused on the flying part. If this is the compelling end use (to fly), then buy one.

You can also read page after page about the CS vs FP issue. RV's fly fine with both, but one area that's not in dispute is the ability of the CS to get you off the ground and climbing significantly quicker than a FP. The CS also has advantages on approach and landing. Frankly, your "mission" requires long efficient cruise flight AND max effort ground performance. That's the defining characteristic of a CS. Ergo, you need a CS prop for this bird.

Trout in Texas...

Clearly, the snow melt fed mountain streams in Texas are limited, but there are indeed rainbow trout in some of the lakes and rivers - with a little help from the TPWD.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/trout_stocking.phtml

And the specs on the coast are indeed trout!

But to your point of a plane to make trips to the hills and mountains, I think you're on just the right track. Is the -9 better handling?? Not so sure about that, but it is a very sweet plane to fly. For exactly the same types of trips, I too have been thinking about a second traveler RV being a 180-hp -9 with upgraded landing gear/wheels, etc. to get me into the shorter strips and allow a better cross-country cruise.

Last edited:
Is the -9 better handling?? Not so sure about that, but it is a very sweet plane to fly. For exactly the same types of trips, I too have been thinking about a second traveler RV being a 180-hp -9 with upgraded landing gear/wheels, etc. to get me into the shorter strips and allow a better cross-country cruise.

I was waiting for someone to pickup on that!

DFW ride offer.

Rich, welcome!

You and your wife come out to 52F and we'll get you both some RV time in my RV-6.

You're not crazy. Everyone else is <grin>.

v/r,dr

Rich---you are in a great place to be building. the DFW area has ALOT of Rv's and really good knowledgeable people. Too many to name here, but start with Jay Pratt and Walt Aronow. Take up Doug on his offer to fly in his 6. Then yo can decide if this is for you.
Tom

I recommend the 9 slider, but that's because that's what I am building :). When I picked up the fuse crate it was marked at the factory with my name - "unique". So if you too want to be unique, build a 9 slider!

Tim

Wow. What an incredible outpouring of support from the folks here on VAF. I really appreciate all the encouragement, tips, and the fishing advice! I also had no idea there were so many builders/owners in the DFW area. I now feel a bit more optimistic and feel that this idea can actually evolve into a quality finished project. Thanks again.

Rather than responding to each person individually, I will put together a collective response and inevitably throw in a few more questions.

1. With respect to resale value of the 9 vs. the 7: this is not something that I would care enough about to formulate a decision on which model to build. I think they are both gorgeous and would love to have one of each. Ideally, I would want to NEVER sell it anyway, and hopefully, when the time is right, gift it to one of my children, a friend, or maybe even just some random person that shares the same passions about the art of aviation as I do.

2. Am I sure I don?t want to do aerobatics? I mentioned in my post that I did a little less than 2 hours of tailwheel time about a hundred years ago. That happened to be in a Citabria for a CFI checkout, that consisted to one landing and a bunch of aerobatics. I?ve done a lot of flying since then, but will admit that that was probably one of the best and most memorable days of flying in my life. I have always been an adrenaline junkie. I would love having an RV-7! But I know myself, and I know that aerobatics is not in the best interests of my family.

3. The buy vs. build debate: I?m actually more interested in the building of the plane than I am of the flying. I am in no hurry to complete the project and anticipate a 3-5 year build time. I really like building things and would like to build as much of the plane as possible, which is why I am not going to do the QB option (I might have a change of heart on this after building the tail).

4. 9 vs. 9A: I gotta step out of my comfort zone.

5. Big tires: never even thought of this before a few recommended it. Will definitely look into it. Most likely, I?ll just go with the normal size and if I really feel the need to go into rougher terrain, I?ll buy a Jeep.

6. Supportive wife: she?s one in a million.

7. Slider vs. tilting canopy: I live in texas. I?m always hot. I wear shorts and drive with the windows down in the winter. I gotta go with the slider.

Thanks again to everyone who reached out to me. Will be ordering the preview plans tonight. Looking forward to a new hobby, learning new skills, and making new friends.

What the heck do I do now?

You pretty much have it nailed down. Now go for that ride and bring your wife so she gets a ride as well!

?
7. Slider vs. tilting canopy: I live in texas. I?m always hot. I wear shorts and drive with the windows down in the winter. I gotta go with the slider.

Thanks again to everyone who reached out to me. Will be ordering the preview plans tonight. Looking forward to a new hobby, learning new skills, and making new friends.

What the heck do I do now?
I had my -9 in Houston a few years back and while almost every plane there was a slider, the tip-up wasn't bad as you get a lot of air movement while on the ground. I am 5' 11" and I look right through the top of the windshield; with the slider that meant I was looking at / around the cross bow. As someone pointed out on this forum, I spend more time flying than taxiing and with the tip-up there is nothing in your view, truly amazing! (Just adding fuel to the never ending debate fire!)

Once you start your tailwheel training, don't get frustrated, the -9 is going to be much easier to fly!

I can add my comments to the thread but it would only reiterate what everyone has already said. The best advice I can offer is "build what YOU want! Not what anyone else SAYS you want!"

As for flying I will add an offer on top of Doug's. If you want a ride in a 9A, drop me a note and lets schedule a time we can meet and fly. Since you are in Keller I can land at 52F, which you will find is literally in your backyard. We can go experience a 180 hp, 3-blade Catto prop 9A in real time after your flight with Doug. You can experience the real thing live and in person!

Send me a PM or reply here if interested in taking a flight.

Your in the middle

Your in the middle of hundreds and hundreds of RVs living in Keller.
Please feel free to come to Hicks T67 and see my RV Central Build Center.
I have RV projects building here. Come see how it?s done.
We have a restaurant on field. So come hungry.

Reading with interest from someone with similar building desires, no experience, and living in the same area. Work in the Alliance area, live fairly close to T67. Love the enthusiasm and incredible support offered by all.

Building probably makes sense...

...as it would probably be tough to find a nice used RV-9. Even a good 9A usually takes a lengthy search.

The -9 taildragger is sort of the unicorn of the RV fleet and turns out to be the best handling one of the bunch.

I went through the same model evaluation; I was set on building a 9A. My EAA chapter is even building one so I had some real time exposure to the kit and build methods. After all that I chose to build the Rv-12 instead.
A couple points;
The 9 kit is fairly bare bones compared to some of the newer vans kits (like the 12 and 14). You will need to put a LOT of work and time into it. My 12 kit has step by step directions, the 9 you get a bunch of big plans. There are videos produced for both and I strongly encourage getting them whatever you build.
For some of the build you will really need a helper. I didn?t have that readily available and the 12 you can build 100% by yourself.
The 9 is faster but I expect to have my 12 finished years earlier. So I decided to fly a little slower but way sooner. I calculated the time difference on a 500 mile trip would not be that great.
The Rotax is a modern engine; there is no mixture, etc. It?s almost car simple. On top of that Vans revised the kit into the 12iS and now it?s even better.
There are probably other differences but those are the ones that quickly to mind

Good luck building whatever you pick!

Originally Posted by Dugaru View Post
...as it would probably be tough to find a nice used RV-9. Even a good 9A usually takes a lengthy search.

I have a really good 9A. Come and see it and fly with me once I get my Dynon D100 back with repaired back screen lighting

AF1QipPCTgMD6qLyMBYV8E3lnx-cJvvNTh6J1fYsi45GEBUTSs-oABIsVESCi2Ql9e-DQw

Some similar thoughts on an RV-9

Rich,

I went through a very similar decision tree a few months ago when I decided to build a plane. Funnily enough, I arrived at some of the same conclusions you've drawn based on hours TT, ease of build, stretching my piloting skills a little, and cost and settled on the -9. Similarly I've been looking at engine / prop combinations, and the IO-320 & catto prop was one way I thought to go, though I have considered GA props, and also after some other advice might look at a Blended Airfoil CS Hartzell prop. These are all things years down the track, as I only started my empennage in August. All the usual prime vs not prime, tip-up vs slider, CS vs FP, Carby vs FI are questions for you to ask and answer for yourself once you do your research.

I wanted a plane I could call my own, one that I had built and therefore knew everything about it. Aerobatics wasn't really on my radar - just something fast and economical so I could fly the large distances here in Australia quickly and in comfort, without having to hire a C182 burning 50l/hr.

The "tedium" of cleco /drill / deburr / countersink / dimple / prime / cleco / rivet / drill out rivet & do it properly isn't tedious at all, and I really enjoy doing it. It's very fulfilling when you look at some tiny little part that you've prepared nicely, and have assembled it together with other little bits to make something beautiful and functional.

Take the time to plan out what you want to do, and think a few steps ahead so you don't end up having to double back and hack something apart, but there's lots of advice about this in the plans (considering wiring routes etc when assembling parts).

In short, you're not mad. My wife was the one who strongly suggested I build a plane actually, so without her prodding me I mightn't have started, but I'm also safe in the knowledge that she supports me building, just as I support her through her pursuits.

Whoa Horsie!

But my primary motivation for building the plane is to share it with others.
After months of careful consideration, and hundreds of hours spent here researching, I have finally decided to build the RV-9.
1. Should I get my head examined before ordering the kit?
Rich,
Thirty years ago this week I ordered my RV-4 tail kit.
My RV choice was easy, One or Two seat.(3 or 4) I had never flown, or seen one close up, only read an ad in Kitplanes.
The Nine is a good airplane, but ALL of them are good airplanes. I'm on my Third RV if that says anything to you about the design.

My advice?
1. Don't worry about engines, props, panels or anything other than establishing the basics, yet.
Get a ride, see if you like it and if it's for you.

2. Now, can I build an RV?
Time management, motivation, long hours and $$$ have taken their toll in the past with a 40% completion rate.
Be one of the 40%

3. Buy a tail kit, take a class if necessary or visit Jay at RV Central and start banging.
Let the games begin....:)

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Yeti full of fish?

I have a 9A tip-up at Lancaster, TX. Happy to give you a ride if you want to see what a 160hp constant speed prop feels like... Don't let people tell you that you have to have a slider in TX, the prop makes a lot of wind on the ground!

My only concern is that you want to bring back a Yeti full of fish - and that's going to be tight in the baggage compartment, if it fits at all. Maybe a soft-sided cooler... maybe.

Consider the Quickbuild... it saves a lot of time.

Building your RV

With regards to your wife, I?ll tell you how mine reacted:

- She?s the neighborhood wife whose crazy husband is building an airplane. Lots of prestige, empathy, and street cred there.

- My wife always knows where I am.

- A house full of tools, safety wire, and a husband with beat-up, scratched-up hands is a house where everything works.

My wife bucked or drove a third of the rivets in our -9.

The best was the morning of the move to the airport. With a bunch of builders standing around watching with opened mouths, my wife slid headfirst into my cockpit and bucked my foreskin.

I kid you not, there wasn't a word uttered from the peanut gallery!

Quite a move to the airport

My wife bucked or drove a third of the rivets in our -9.

The best was the morning of the move to the airport. With a bunch of builders standing around watching with opened mouths, my wife slid headfirst into my cockpit and bucked my foreskin.

I kid you not, there wasn't a word uttered from the peanut gallery!

That would leave me speechless as well.

In 1980, one year after I received my PPL I bought the plans for a LongEZE. I called the local EAA tech counselor to get some advise. His one and only advise was unless I could spend every day working on the airplane it would never get finished, 35% if projects are never finished. He said it could be as simple as cleaning the build area or organizing tools.

That's why I waited 34 years to retire before I started my 9A. It's been a great experience. I've learned more in the last 4 years than I ever imagined. I've met a whole bunch of wonderful people and created new friendships. I've had groups of school kids visit my shop.

I've enjoyed every minute and I'm not even flying yet. Plus, it keeps me out of the bar.

I think you are on the right track for sure! I was planning to build a simple RV9 with a Catto 3 blade prop when I found a RV 7 project near me so I was lured away from my original path but I think I would have been very happy with the 9, 320, and Catto prop! The slower stall speed of the 9 is very attractive for grass fields and back country flying! The only drawbacks are, slightly lower resale value, and takes up a little more hanger room with the longer wingspan.

Thanks Mike. Didn?t even think about the hanger room issue. Will keep that in mind. Fortunately, i have quite a bit of time to find one. Thanks again.
Rich

(BTW, I like trout fishing, too, especially fly fishing. I have a brother in law who lives in Billings, MT, and we always find some great (secret) drainages near Yellowstone/Beartooths, to fish. Can't wait to "pop up" to MT from CA for a great weekend!)

Best fishing of my life was in Montana on the Beaverhead River near Dillon when I was a kid. You?ve inspired me to fly back and try to recapture some great memories with my parents. Btw, I saw you are from Half Moon Bay. I learned to fly at SQL, and have many memories of and a few funny stories too embarrassing to share on a public forum about flying into HAF.

Kurt Goodfellow

Kurt. Thanks for the tip on the bigger tires. What effect do they have on airspeed and fuel burn. Also, I tried to find some online images of larger size tires on RVs with no success. Any chance you could share some photos of yours?
Thanks.
Rich

Rich, welcome!

You and your wife come out to 52F and we'll get you both some RV time in my RV-6.

You're not crazy. Everyone else is <grin>.

v/r,dr

Thanks Doug. That would be an honor! But I better wait until after the holidays or the wife will break me into more pieces than come in a standard RV-9 kit! Will be in touch.

Thanks Bill. After watching that video, I’ve decided to take up a different hobby. That’s some crazy stuff! Anyone have the number for that truck driving school?

Not as crazy as you would think. On that trip there were two RV-10's in there and I have seen an RV-4 land in there only he said he wouldn't come back.

I had a lot of precious metal in the back (led and brass) for that trip. If I were light, the approach speed would have been down to 55 knots instead of 60 knots over the trees.

Build your -9 and come join us!

Does anybody have any performance data on RV-9s equipped with larger tires without fairings? Any guesses on what effect they might have on airspeed and fuel burn. Also, I tried to find some online images of larger size tires on RVs with few results. What would I be giving up by building with the "tundra package?" Will the larger tires provide a greater element of safety flying into unimproved fields (nothing drastic)? Open to all opinions, stories, and pictures.
Thanks.
Rich

Smokey has a "tundra tire" thread which IIRC retained his wheelpants. Better soft field performance with minimal speed impact.

I also know of a Harmon Rocket that uses bigger tires and RV-10 Wheelpants for his back country flying.

Merry Christmas all. Hoping to get a little startup help. I?m shopping for a tool kit to get started on my project. There?s quite a few recommended companies on the Vans website, and they all seem to offer ?the best deal.? Was hoping somebody could help me choose one to get me started. Will I need all the tools up front to begin the empennage? Was looking at Brown Tool deluxe RV kit for $1699 (item #DLXRV-2X). Will that get me through the initial kit? Is this more/less than I need for the empennage? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Rich

This looks similar to the Avery kit I got years ago which has served me well so far. Hard to say if they are the same without going line by line.

I *think* the Tatco yokes are incompatible with the CP style squeezers. This would be important if, say, you bought a CP style pneumatic squeezer at some point - you'd also be buying yokes as the 2 do not mix.

Tool Kits

There have been several posts this year regarding the various tool kits available. Suggest you do a search for them.

I bought my kit from http://www.cleavelandtool.com/ and have been very happy with it. I have also added a number of tools to this basic kit as my build progressed. The folks at Synergy Air (I took their Empennage class to get started - highly recommended) recommended Cleaveland's dimple dies as producing better dimples, and also their Main Squeeze as a better hand squeezer. But others on this forum have had good results with other manufacturers.

I also purchased a used pneumatic squeezer through VAF. Based on my RV-10 construction experience, I highly recommend using a pneumatic squeezer. While it is fairly heavy and won't fit into all the areas, I was able to use it for about 75-80% of the rivets, and IMHO it has been well worth the expense.

Best of luck with your building.

Back